The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

Lack is going nowhere. Markstrom has proven nothing outside of the AHL at the moment and he is to risky to play the waiver game with right now

Anyone seriously wanting Stewart really needs to shake their heads. Between his lazy attitude lack of compete level and cap hit that's a no brainer for us, rather bring up Grenier or Shinkaruk

Matthias is making an interesting case for himself right now. He is in the midst of playing himself into better playing minutes as well as playing himself towards either a contract extension or an increased trade price. I've stated a few times that Matthias as a UFA is the most likely trade piece as a stand alone (pick) or as a package (solid 1st round pick/ top prospect) which could solidify our D core or D prospects.

Stating Matthias is a possible trade candidate is like promising Miller will get more starts this year. We know it is going to happen, we just don't know when, who with or for how much.

But my money is on benning and Linden doing the smart thing and dragging him out and asking WD to put him in top situations to increase his value towards the trade deadline and selling him off alone or as a package for one of the returns mentioned above.

remember, GMs do weird things come trade deadline day and Matthias alone to the right team could be a 2nd round pick, to the right team as a package could net a promising young D man, D prospect or mid to high 1st round pick.

it is even possible he could be part of the package for a D prospect rumoured to be on the move like Gormley or Larsson.

Matthias has been playing great lately but considering he is a pending UFA this summer and we have some major tickets to pay with Tanev, Stanton, Sbisa and Vey, I highly doubt we will be able to resign him. Especially with Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, McCann, Lain and a slew of other forwards are knocking on the door to get into the roster.

consider that rumour out of Ottawa Sun and Bruce Garrioch. That guy gets all of his "suggested" and "for what its worth" rumours printed. That guy throws more spaghetti at the walls than Eklund. Nowhete does he quote Benning for "wanting a forward in return".

The future is Horvat and he is proving he belongs and hasnt shown to be a liability. He is avg 58% on faceoffs, ya all are ES and none on special teams but he is still winning them. Somebody definitely has to go to make room for him.

Hardly. Bo hasn't knocked anybody off a top 9 roster spot, and he's playing less than 10 minutes per game on average. He's shown he's not a liability, but that's not the only thing - he needs to show he is better than the vets to warrant a move to keep him - which he has not done.

This better be BS.

Picking up his game greatly right now.

Has size, has grit, can play C if needed and reasonable cap hit.

Stupid.

Agreed his forecheck is causing some serious havoc for opposing teams, playing hard in the corners and powering to the net.

I think a line of Kassian - Matthias - Jensen would be interesting to see for a couple of games.

Matthias has been playing great lately but considering he is a pending UFA this summer and we have some major tickets to pay with Tanev, Stanton, Sbisa and Vey, I highly doubt we will be able to resign him. Especially with Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, McCann, Lain and a slew of other forwards are knocking on the door to get into the roster.

I think we'll keep one of Matthias or Richardson because they won't cost much and having an ELC rookie make the team to replace one of them will make it easier on the cap.

Richardson brings FO% and solid defense - Matthias brings size and speed.

If they think Bo can replace Richardson as early as next season, it'll be Richardson.

If they think Gaunce/Jensen can replace Matthias, it'll be Matthias.

I think the latter is more likely, so you're probably right in Matthias being the odd man out.

That being said, I think JB keeps Matthias and let him leave as a UFA instead of trading him at the deadline for a pick. I think we'll be in a playoff position, and if that's the case, it's better to get some playoff contribution out of him than trade him for a mid-round draft pick and make the team weaker. The only way I see Matthias gone is if we make a hockey trade for another big-bodied forward (like the rumour suggests) who is on a multi-year deal that can contribute like Matthias can.

Hardly. Bo hasn't knocked anybody off a top 9 roster spot, and he's playing less than 10 minutes per game on average. He's shown he's not a liability, but that's not the only thing - he needs to show he is better than the vets to warrant a move to keep him - which he has not done.

havent heard or seen many complaints of Bo just yet. He is slowly getting babied into form and this is was I expected. Would still rather have him here than sent back to London. Atleast next year he can still be sent to Utica and further developed

havent heard or seen many complaints of Bo just yet. He is slowly getting babied into form and this is was I expected. Would still rather have him here than sent back to London. Atleast next year he can still be sent to Utica and further developed

Bo can still develop in London. He is by no means "too good" for junior.

Hmm. Wonder what type of player Benning is looking to get back.

First of all with the way he has been playing I just dont see it happening. But if he was to trade mattias for another forward I would offer him to Carolina for Jay McClement and a conditional pick (3rd if re-signed, 4th if not).

Mattias on either staals wing could do some damage in the east. Could see him potting 20 if given top 6 minutes and if they gave him playing time he would most certainly re-sign (something I feel he wouldn't do here if he was on the 3rd/4th).

McClement is and elite 4th line center. He is one of the top faceoff guys in the league year in and year out plus he is a great PKer.

The salaries are close (1.2m + 1m) and both are UFA's at seasons end. Mattias is 5 years younger and has more offensive ability so the conditional pick balances that.

This trade would allow us to send BoHo back to Jr at the 9 game mark. He could dominate in the WJC'S, take another run at the memorial cup and possibly be back for the playoffs without burning a year on his entry level deal.

I'm not sure this is the year we need to make room for a player that doesn't quite seem reliable at the NHL level. Not saying we need to send Horvat down but I wouldn't sacrifice our depth for him

I think Horvat is reliable at the NHL level. If I was Jim Benning, and you have a player (Mathias) with no foreseeable future on the Canucks who is finally starting to show some promise, I trade him while he's hot. Like someone else stated already, Mathias is a pending UFA.

In a battle between Hansen and Mathias I think Hansen wins, and that is the only other player I could see making room for another rookie. Dorsett is Willie's guy. Maybe Burrows?

Who knows, it looks like some current injuries are going to delay this decision for even longer.

Bo can still develop in London. He is by no means "too good" for junior.

ok....say I agree with you and He does go to junior. What does he further learn?wwhat NEW knowledge does he hope to obtain other than playing a level he is used to. Ya he gets to play 20+ mins, I get that but what is his motivation meter running at? You dont think that at a human level he isnt going to be a little disheartened and less motivated? Ya ya, Im sure we can easily say "well suck it up princess and use that anger towards your further development in junior"

I would still rather keep Horvat here as im sure he is giving his 100% effort and happy with his 8-9 minutes a night until further into the season when WD slowly increases his ice-time and grants him with further responsibility. Sestito being hurt helps with the free roster spot for now too. He got beat by Kopitar in LA...who hasnt? Let him learn that.

And again...next year he can be sent to Utica to be "The Man" down there as a further option on his developement, but for now, stay due course and keep him here

I like Matthias if only for the size he brings to the bottom six. With Sestito not playing much, Kassian injured and Dorsett out, we were a little things for toughness last night. When defensemen Bieksa and Stanton are doing the fighting, we are lacking some physicality up front.

Matthias is necessary for a skilled lineup as he is big and can actually play. That being said if we can get back a forward who is also big 6'2+, I'd be ok to move him.

ok....say I agree with you and He does go to junior. What does he further learn?wwhat NEW knowledge does he hope to obtain other than playing a level he is used to. Ya he gets to play 20+ mins, I get that but what is his motivation meter running at? You dont think that at a human level he isnt going to be a little disheartened and less motivated? Ya ya, Im sure we can easily say "well suck it up princess and use that anger towards your further development in junior"

I would still rather keep Horvat here as im sure he is giving his 100% effort and happy with his 8-9 minutes a night until further into the season when WD slowly increases his ice-time and grants him with further responsibility. Sestito being hurt helps with the free roster spot for now too. He got beat by Kopitar in LA...who hasnt? Let him learn that.

And again...next year he can be sent to Utica to be "The Man" down there as a further option on his developement, but for now, stay due course and keep him here

Offense.

Archived