The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

ok...considering he has scored 30 in his last 2 seasons...while also playing a shutdown role and taking key faceoffs last year. Im in a fog now as to how he is supposed to learn NHL offense in London?

He's not learning NHL offense playing under 10 minutes per game.

It's a good thing Markstrom's tearing it up in the AHL, cause that Luongo trade is looking more and more brutal, even with Matthias starting to play good hockey.

Miller, Markstrom, mattias

or

8 more years of luongo pouting and being a distraction.

If you chose the second you're "brutal"

These rumours are so lame.

Find some teams that have no defense depth and say they are in the market for a defenceman.

Pick underperforming players on various teams and suggest they are going to be moved but no asking price is known.

Anyone on CDC can make this garbage up.

If the asking price is another forward back, it doesn't sound like they are making room for anyone.

I really like Matthias's game in the last 8-9 games - last night in OT where he tried to take it to the net, got foiled, turned back and sent to his knees, then got right back up and circled around to take it to the net again, I haven't seen a Canuck do that in ages. That determination was nice to see from a big guy like Matthias, and I think he's really started using his size to make things happen out there. So did Kassian before the injury, and these two were fun to watch every time they were out there. I'm hoping Benning tries to sign him to a deal before the deadline. If it doesn't work out, then trade him.

We do have some young players coming up next season - Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Cassels, Horvat (if not this year - we'll see). I think McCann will need another year, but all the above have a chance.

Yeah Matthias and Kassian are components of a very good line. I'd put Bo in between those two and in about 10-20 games, they will become that net crashing line that we sorely missed. I think we get three strong lines by game 40 all with different characteristics,

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata (roughly 50% in the faceoff)

Higgins-Bonino-Burrows (the best line yesterday, just below 50% faceoff)

Matthias-Horvat-Kassian (~55% faceoff)

Sedin line with pure skill

Bonino line with agility and deceptiveness

Horvat line with net crashing abilities

Fourth line of Dorsett-Vey-Hansen is no slouch either. But Vey is liability on the dot.

I find this hard to believe. The team is so small as it is, are they not getting pushed around enough by the Cali teams. The other thing is it implies a journeyman defenceman was at one time thought to be enough for Coututier which no one anywhere ever thought.

I'm indifferent when it comes to Matthias. I like his size and he's been picking his play up lately, but with our young guys coming up in the next couple years, I don't really see him getting off the 4th line

Brutal trade or get rid of a brutal contract, 2 ways to look at this.

As it stands, we are still on the hook for this brutal contract if Lu retires a certain year before the contract expires. And I dont see the NHL overturning any decision with this franchise like they did with Philly or NJ. So yes it was a brutal trade.

How in the hell do you move Matthias over Hansen? Matthias at least has some offensive capabilities and has been solid in protecting the puck and making the safe play, while driving the net well. Aside from Hansen's speed and defensive capabilities, he's nearly useless for the amount of minutes the guy gets. There isn't a more awkward looking and less offensively talented forward ,that gets the minutes he does, in the league. The amount of rushes, cycles, offensive opportunities the guy has killed is countless.

vey needs to converted to a winger hes horrible at faceoffs i say we go with youngens unload the underperforming vets keep horvat for the season call up gaunce whos a big body and good on faceoffs. Trade at deadline or now hansen, mattias weber for a young dman or picks these players can help teams in playoffs with depth id just rather go with a youth movement give them a chance.

sedin sedin vrbata

vey bonino higgins

kassian horvat burrows

dorsett richardson gaunce

As it stands, we are still on the hook for this brutal contract if Lu retires a certain year before the contract expires. And I dont see the NHL overturning any decision with this franchise like they did with Philly or NJ. So yes it was a brutal trade.

there was no way around that as soon as the NHL made up that rule. It's unbelievable that they would be able to do such a thing. The contract was signed under the old CBA and was entirely within the rules.

There is no president precedent for such a move ever in any sport. It's like if the NBA decided to strike wilt chamberlain's records off the books because they decided to add the 3 in the key rule and offensive goaltending.

The only was around the recapture penalty would have been to buy luongo out. But then we wouldn't have been able to buy booth out so we would have booth wasting a roster spot and no ryan miller. Just lack and eriksson, you can bet we would be near the bottom of the league instead of the top.

If luongo retires when his salary drops to a million then we will be on the hook for 3 mil over 3 seasons , Florida will be on the hook for a mil as well. If we had kept him and he retude we would be on the hook for 4 mil per year. Also since we are eating 800K a year regardless the extra penalty will only be 2.2 million. That should be the wage of a 4th liner by then.

Long story short, don't cry.

Edited so that "SGT. Sedge" of the grammar police could possibly make a hockey related post in this thread

Players entering the club or AHL affiliate soon.

Fox, Cassels, Horvat, Grenier, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen

Players filling tweener roles on the Canucks currently.

Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, Richardson and to an extent Burrows.

While all of the players currently on the canucks are producing to an extent and playing solid roles on a winning team. Two of them have contracts up for renewal at seasons end. I believe we have a cascading amount after that over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Can anyone say in all honesty that all of the younger players entering the club soon won't have possibly higher ceilings than the players currently holding roster spots on the team?

I state again, Linden and Benning are NOT the kind of guys to allow assets to walk, Linden was actually a traded asset that helped produce one of our best teams ever with the WCE so he knows first hand.

We have for the first time since really the late 80's and early 90's a depth of young players that will be pushing for roster spots and displacing older vets to do it.

I for one can; as I stated before, see Benning and Linden ensuring that players like Hansen, Matthias Richardson and more are given preferential zone starts and coverage to increase their stats/value to see a package go out that could bring us a valued mid to early 1st, a D prospect that can QB a PP or that vaunted top 6 potential sniper to grow with the teams youth.

I just have issues right now believing that they'd just hold on to any of the above. Especially now knowing that there is a chance that the cap raise might be small, negligible or non existent next season.

Time to cash in if possible.

Archived