The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remembrance day controversy in Ontario

73 Percent

I quickly searched for this article posted with no luck. I also thought this deserves its own thread aside from the remembrance day thread. Rant with me CDC.

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/11/10/lest-only-some-of-us-forget

Now I know this day should not be controversial. This is a day we remember those who gave us a tomorrow. It is a day to be thankful for everyone and everything in your life because theres a large chance that you wouldn't have many of those things if it weren't for the brave.

This isnt some imaginary religious thing that may or may not happened. This happens every day. Women abdOmen leave their family for us. Us meaning everyoneethat calls this country home.

Im disgusted, hurt, embarrassed, and just plain old enraged. How do you guys feel about this. Like is taking an hour or 2 out of your ENTIRE YEAR that big a deal that you cant even humour us?

Is there something I can do that you guys can think of?

What's controversial about that?

Remembrance day isn't for everyone.

"Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth of Nations member states since the end of the First World War to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty."

So if you're not part of the "Commonwealth of Nations", it doesn't mean much...

Yes, I agree, if you immigrated to another country you should adopt some of their customs...

"It’s a disgrace that any family would object to it – especially an immigrant family who came here to benefit from our country. It would call into question the basis on which they applied for and were granted citizenship."

This quote is bang on.

"Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth of Nations member states since the end of the First World War to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty."

Yes, I agree, if you immigrated to another country you should adopt some of their customs...

it's controversial because its a small price to pay for a place to live

Sounds like an opinion piece on one person who just wants to start some sort of controersy. I'm Muslim and almost my entire class was Muslim all the way through highschool and not a single one didn't participate in a rememberance day celebration. Heck, even my parents came out for many of the years.

I can point to some white families who don't celebrate remembrance day because they think war is bad, blah blah blah but it doesn't vindicate anything about whatever beliefs they hold. They're just shitty people and we need to acknowlege that and label them as shitty people.

If you have moved to a commonwealth nation and are enjoying the freedoms and rights of that country that countless individuals laid down their lives to maintain then it is your debt to them to show respect on November 11th.

To do anything else is shameful and a complete disgrace.

Yes, that is true but it is a sign of respect. The war(s) that they refer to are not only just the World War, they mean every single soldier that has given their life to serve this country. Are you telling me that one religion shouldn't heed to the service.

This quote from the article sums it up for me:

"Or maybe it’s that we are wrong today. Because if you look at all the recent wars and military missions Canada has done, it’s all been in Muslim lands. "

I support Remembrance day 100% and think they're foolish/ignorant/whatever for wanting to "opt out."

That being said, you get the feeling this is getting a little extra (lot extra) push into the media because they're Muslim. As someone pointed out, they're not the first to "object" (as much as I think it's beyond disrespectful that they do)

If you have moved to a commonwealth nation and are enjoying the freedoms and rights of that country that countless individuals laid down their lives to maintain then it is your debt to them to show respect on November 11th.

To do anything else is shameful and a complete disgrace.

Sounds like an opinion piece on one person who just wants to start some sort of controersy. I'm Muslim and almost my entire class was Muslim all the way through highschool and not a single one didn't participate in a rememberance day celebration. Heck, even my parents came out for many of the years.

I can point to some white families who don't celebrate remembrance day because they think war is bad, blah blah blah but it doesn't vindicate anything about whatever beliefs they hold. They're just crapty people and we need to acknowlege that and label them as crapty people.

I guess im as crapty and disgraceful as it gets...

What the hell is the big deal. School Remembrance Day assemblies consist of students sitting there for an hour and listening to stories or presentations and singing the anthem at the beginning or end. But yeah - opinion piece this is

It's a respect issue. It is very necessary that we educate and remind eachother that the freedoms we take for granted each moment of our lives came at the price of millions of others. To not be humbled and show respect for such a fact is disgusting.

It's important that as generations go by that we do not lose touch with that reality and continue to honour and respect those who served and continue to serve in order to maintain our freedom

It's a respect issue. It is very necessary that we educate and remind eachother that the freedoms we take for granted each moment of our lives came at the price of millions of others. To not be humbled and show respect for such a fact is disgusting.

Im glad your with me on this one Magikal. This is a very touchy subject for me.

Yes, that is true but it is a sign of respect. The war(s) that they refer to are not only just the World War, they mean every single soldier that has given their life to serve this country. Are you telling me that one religion shouldn't heed to the service.

This quote from the article sums it up for me:

"Or maybe it’s that we are wrong today. Because if you look at all the recent wars and military missions Canada has done, it’s all been in Muslim lands. "

Exactly.

It's important that as generations go by that we do not lose touch with that reality and continue to honour and respect those who served and continue to serve in order to maintain our freedom

That's what I meant

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw