The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ray Ferraro Rips Into Tortorella [Audio]

Giant Inflatable Beaver

lol moj "BRINGIN THE HAMMER DOWN" always wondered what happened to that guy. i actually really like ray ferraro. sometimes that guy gets a lot of heat for just being fiery. i like how he kinda sticks up for burrows here. he's right about having linden come in. looks like a different team with them cleaning house

If it wasn't for Torts, we wouldn't have the team we have now. Gillis would likely still be here and Benning wouldn't have been brought in to make changes.

Thank you Torts!

Thank you Gillis for giving us some of the best hockey this club has seen in a LONG time

Yeah sometimes you need a really weak link for the chain to break. Torts was the weak link.

Not many teams get the luxury of getting rid of the President, GM, Head Coach and numerous Assistant coaches all in one swoop! Total revamp and it seems like the Canucks are loving it.

Not only that, but it puts pressure on the players, because if the team plays poorly now, then it's all on them.

Look at the bright side. The Canucks never would have gotten Jake Virtanen if it wasn't for Tortorella's terrible coaching last year. 2014 was a weak draft so getting a top recruit like Virtanen will hopefully be worth one bad season where the 'nucks wouldn't have won the cup even if they had made the playoffs. Silver lining and all.

What I liked to hear was Ray said that Willie is totally different with the players than he is in his press conferences. He said he's engaged, listens, and works with the players really well. But Ray is right. How do you NOT speak to a player until Christmas?

Torts clearly just was in it for the paycheque and he really had no commitment to the team.

Honestly, if Torts never works in the industry again, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Oh come on now. Torts was a good guy, and he'd do anything for his team. The particular tools that the Canucks have just didn't bode well with his defense-turnover creating style.

He went after Calgary, but they tried to take the Sedin's out - which Tort stated was why he went after them - and the game after that they took out Danny with a late, very dirty hit in a meaningless game.

Torts wanted to be bigger than the team. He wanted the spotlight with his antics and by imposing his system on the players rather than coaching to their strengths. He burnt out the core players and didn't trust his role players (fourth line, 3rd d-pairing). That led to one of our worst seasons for injuries and production. And it led to his downfall.

On the other hand, WD just quietly and thoughtfully goes about his business. He lets the players be creative and freewheeling within his system. He distributes the playing time wisely and is getting production from all four lines. This bodes well for the playoffs.

WD is a breath of fresh air. It's great that he's brought entertaining hockey back to the city.

Again, this time last year nobody had a big problem with him. In fact we were hungy-dory until the end of December. As well, the performance of the team this season has been remarkably parallel to the start of last season so far.

Sure, Torts is Torts, and a scapegoat is a scapegoat, but this team last season had way more problems than just him. Injuries, for starters. Lack of depth caused by a cap crunch. And being in a rebuilding process, combined with some vets wanting out. That all weighs on a team, for sure.

The regime change was inevitable, but also note that it took awhile before Benning/Linden even pulled the trigger on canning Torts.

Again, this time last year nobody had a big problem with him. In fact we were hungy-dory until the end of December. As well, the performance of the team this season has been remarkably parallel to the start of last season so far.

Sure, Torts is Torts, and a scapegoat is a scapegoat, but this team last season had way more problems than just him. Injuries, for starters. Lack of depth caused by a cap crunch. And being in a rebuilding process, combined with some vets wanting out. That all weighs on a team, for sure.

The regime change was inevitable, but also note that it took awhile before Benning/Linden even pulled the trigger on canning Torts.

I remember that the team was doing great till Christmas. I also remember the Sedins were near the top of the scoring race at that time. That's why I knew they didn't suddenly 'lose it' as some people here thought. But the difference from last season is that this season we're doing it with four lines. I knew Torts couldn't keep overplaying the Sedins, Kesler, and the top 4 dmen. The team collapsed after Christmas mainly because the core players burnt out. I don't think that will happen this season.

Benning and Linden didn't fire Torts right away because they wanted to give him due process. They wanted time to look into what happened by interviewing him and some of the core players, and then making their decision.

Archived