The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 NHL Draft: Adam Musil

So, basically, I contacted my friend who played for the Trail Smoke Eaters, and he said that he didn't like Ryan Gropp very much - in fact he got a little downcast when I told him I wanted to talk about Ryan Gropp's potential; I've been hearing a lot about how Ryan Gropp has a pretty bad attitude off of the ice, which saddens me because I honestly like the way he plays on the ice a lot... but you never want a player who brings negativity into the locker room.

So I asked the same friend about Adam Musil, somebody who he grew up playing with, and he happily gave me some insight:

Adam Musil is a great guy on and off the ice, a little bit shy with the media but that all changes in the locker room where he is a take-charge guy who simply wants to win.

He has great size for a centerman, 6'3 ~200lbs, and uses it well. He plays his best when he is forechecking through the middle, but excels along the boards and playing the puck in the corners.

He offers many assets: an NHL shot, seeing-eye passes, shifty skating, and mental strength in both ends of the ice.

He has a lot of upside and is a great teammate. He makes the players around him better.

So I asked my friend why the Canucks should take a look at him and he said:
a.) home-grown kid, lots of people in Vancouver will love this pick

b.) great attitude, his dad Frank Musil (former NHLer) straightened out his character and taught him the qualities needed for NHL success from a young age

c.) he would give the Canucks size down the middle - "Canadian Muscle". He can play in many different roles and can utilize different tools so he can play different styles - if the Canucks choose, they could develop him into the role of which he has the most potential, as a two-way center, and then, in the future, roll four lines centered by Bo Horvat, Jared McCann, Brendan Gaunce, and Adam Musil. There would, technically, be no 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line, they would all get the same ice time.

A lot of you have probably seen more of Musil than I have, so why don't you chip in your two cents with a comment?

Considering we also have Cassels, Lain, etc. in the pipeline plus Bonino and Vey as young centers (even Matthias) currently with the team, I'm not sure we need another center. Is he projected to be available around where we'll be picking (and where are we projected to be picking)?

Considering we also have Cassels, Lain, etc. in the pipeline plus Bonino and Vey as young centers (even Matthias) currently with the team, I'm not sure we need another center. Is he projected to be available around where we'll be picking (and where are we projected to be picking)?

[any where from 1-30]

You can never have too many centers.

I'd take him with our 2nd round pick but he doesn't have the upside of top 30 players. I see Musil has a future solid 3rd liner, he has the size, physical play and shot to be a NHLer but I don't think his skating or hands will be where it needs to be for a top 6 player.

Archived