The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Power Rankings - Canucks ranked #1

DonaldBrashear

Canucks moved up from #4 to #1 on the Sportsnet power rankings this week after they defeated Anaheim. Personally I think Pittsburgh should be #1, and maybe Vancouver #2... but I will take it. Nice to see us at the top of the power rankings though.

LINK: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-power-rankings-30-fun-facts-edition-vancouver-canucks-teams/

When the Vancouver Canucks rolled through California — what had become their Death Valley (and, to be fair, most teams’ Death Valley) — a fan at the San Jose game raised a homemade sign that read: “6 goals better than 3 goals, $1.9 mil better than $5 mil, Bonino better than Kesler.”

And while the sample size is small, the new president, new general manager and new coach of the Canucks must be chuffed by the early returns. Vancouver’s new second-line centre has more goals than the one they dealt to Anaheim (and an additional three points from defenceman Luca Sbisa, also part of the trade, sweetens the math).

But it’s Vancouver’s play as a whole — goaltending, special teams, consistency through the four lines — that has this group looking like it’ll return to the playoffs after last year’s gong show.

“They work very hard, and they’re working together,” Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau told Prime Time Sports after losing to the Canucks 2-1 at home. “Last year they weren’t working together, when we played them at least. They seem very structured.”

Also of note, they’re winning close games. The Canucks are the only NHL club that has not lost a one-goal decision.

Well deserved. Let's keep it up. From what I've seen the sedins have been better than ever. They're seem a lot stronger and smarter than even when they won back to back MVPs.

Edler has been phenomenal, and everyone is contributing. I expect this to keep UP and hover top 5 all year. The Canucks ARE ELITE. Everyone that doesn't think so, we'll open your eyes. Canucks > the universe

Well deserved. Let's keep it up. From what I've seen the sedins have been better than ever. They're seem a lot stronger and smarter than even when they won back to back MVPs.

Edler has been phenomenal, and everyone is contributing. I expect this to keep UP and hover top 5 all year. The Canucks ARE ELITE. Everyone that doesn't think so, we'll open your eyes. Canucks > the universe

:picard:

Sorry, but not even close.

Couple more wins and you're going to tell me that this is the best Canucks team in franchise history :lol:

Couple more wins and you're going to tell me that this is the best Canucks team in franchise history :lol:

They're stronger physically, smarter mentally and more experienced than ever. They're defensive play is even better. Welcome to the Canucks show staring the Sedins. Sit back and enjoy, the hockey God's are blessing us all.

Also side show of the Alex edler show and a nice serving of MILLERTIME

I like being positive too, but you are literally the biggest homer ever. Cool down a bit eh?

Guest Cuporbust2

The structure he's talking about is what gets me pumped more than anything. Our new management and especially new coach have been hittin it out of the park. So stoked.

I like being positive too, but you are literally the biggest homer ever. Cool down a bit eh?

Read my post. I said I expect us to hover top 5 all year. This team won back to back president trophies not so long ago with pretty much the same core.

I'm not a homer, just a better judge of talent than you may be. This team is elite. We had an off year under a horrendous coach... Prior to that we were elite and are once again elite. Our stars are not declining. Why wouldn't we be elite?

FYI this is my top 5 in no particular order

Anaheim, LA, Vancouver, Chicago, St Louis. No eastern team makes my top 5. East is sad.

Well, I didn't expect them to be ranked first in the power rankings, but with the way they have played lately, it's really no surprise. It's still early, but I don't think anyone had predicted the Canucks would be ranked second in the Western Conference and fourth in the league after 17 games. February and March will be one of our tougher months with more games crammed in.

Read my post. I said I expect us to hover top 5 all year. This team won back to back president trophies not so long ago with pretty much the same core.

I'm not a homer, just a better judge of talent than you may be. This team is elite. We had an off year under a horrendous coach... Prior to that we were elite and are once again elite. Our stars are not declining. Why wouldn't we be elite?

Anaheim, LA, Vancouver, Chicago, St Louis. No eastern team makes my top 5. East is sad.

I'm saving this post. Better judge of talent? You think our talent compares with the likes of the teams you listed above? What a joke. Come January I'm going to bump this just to see what you have to say.

Last year was an aberration but the previous two didn't end well either. Staleness had certainly set in, not just in players but with AV and changing the system back to defense from what had been successful

Bringing in fresh (and younger) players has certainly helped rejuvenate things, and as you've said, the core still is there. Older yes, but they're showing they're still effective. The way the Sedins play, they should have several productive years left, perhaps even into their late 30s which should buy time for the first-rounders to settle in. Benning's brought in some decent placeholders for the D, but that's an area that needs to be addressed for improved talent. Expecting that's what he may well be targeting, unless he thinks the Sbisa/Corrado/Stanton/Tanev crowd are able to take over for Bieksa/Hamhuis while developing new draftees.

In any case, the ship has been righted and we once again have a competitive team. Looks as though we have decent enough depth to prevent a repeat of last season's injury bonanza, too. Don't know about top-5, but if they do not make the playoffs I'd be quite surprised. In any case, it's just Year One and so far so good :)

Guest Cuporbust2

They're stronger physically, smarter mentally and more experienced than ever. They're defensive play is even better. Welcome to the Canucks show staring the Sedins. Sit back and enjoy, the hockey God's are blessing us all.

Also side show of the Alex edler show and a nice serving of MILLERTIME

Lol. Stronger physically ? Seriously ? Did u watch the cup run year? Plus Past years with guys like like Torres , hordi, rypien,.......And Our defence is nowhere near as good as it was in past years. Not even close. with guys like Mitchell. Salo , Ohlund , Erhofff ( offensively )....... Shutdown Guys like lappier, Torres ,

No way man this team is the best it's ever been. Maybe the best managed it's ever been , but even that's to be seen. That's not to say this team can't go all the way , but no way this is the best , most physical , most defensively strong team we have had. Not even close. Give Ur head a shake

Sedins are a point a game right now. That's good , but nowhere near where they were when they won art ross. We are happy with point a game at their age. They are playing well , but u can't be serious they playin better then their art ross years. Lol. I watched the entire season that year and they were way beyond this IMO. They have always been super smart players. That's why they are franchise players. Their game and skill is perfect for longevity as They don't rely on speed.

Yes, you're a huge homer.

Pitsburgh, Tampa with Hedman and healthy Bruins > Canucks. San Jose and Nashville are about equal, if not better than us.

Guest Cuporbust2

That's kinda what I think he was sayin. Lol. Must be young.

Archived