The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Election: Mayor Re-Elected, Vision Loses Control of Park & School Board

DonLever

You can't say Robertson did better in this election when his vote went up only 6524 (83,529 -77,000) compared to 2011.

On the other hand, the NPA candidate went up 15,291 (73,443 - 58,5290) compared to the last election. That is a big jump. Actually Lapointe had MORE votes than Robertson did in 2011. And that is for an unknown candidate no one has heard of.

You can't really say all of COPE's vote will go to Vision if they did not run a candidate. Maybe people upset at Robertson but can't stand the NPA may just sit it out and not vote at all.

Really???

I did not say the world. I said Vancouver.

Put it another way, the voter turnout was 44% which is pretty good compared to previous years. He got 47% of the the people who voted, so in reality he got 20% of the total possible voter population. That meant 80% of the voters either don't like him, indifferent, or too lazy to get off their asses to vote. We get what we deserve.

That is a stretch that even Mr Fantastic couldn't make. Let me fix that for you.

Out of the 44% of the registered voters who voted, 47% (the majority) chose Gregor Robertson. End of story. Otherwise you are alluding that the indifferent apathetic non-voters would have all chosen Kirk Lapointe...the Right Winger...uh-huh. How bout No. You see Don, with your stated numbers, Kirk Lapointe would have fared even worse. The majority vote wins, that's how democracy works. Spit out those grapes and start campaigning for 2018.

This from a bike lane hatin', Cornwall St. raging, Gregor bashing lefty who really wanted Meena Wong to win...thank doG Kirk Lapointe and Peter Armstrong lost.

You can't say Robertson did better in this election when his vote went up only 6524 (83,529 -77,000) compared to 2011.

On the other hand, the NPA candidate went up 15,291 (73,443 - 58,5290) compared to the last election. That is a big jump. Actually Lapointe had MORE votes than Robertson did in 2011. And that is for an unknown candidate no one has heard of.

You can't really say all of COPE's vote will go to Vision if they did not run a candidate. Maybe people upset at Robertson but can't stand the NPA may just sit it out and not vote at all.

Red herring. Comparing number if votes to an election 4 years ago is like comparing NHL Team points to before the Shoot Out. Not comparable.

Red herring. Comparing number if votes to an election 4 years ago is like comparing NHL Team points to before the Shoot Out. Not comparable.

Nonsense. The rules for the election this year is the same as 4 years ago.

Political Scientists study these results all that time. They try to analyse and dissect election outcomes. They study trends.

Gregor Robertson got 55% last time. He got 47% this time. The NPA got control of the Park Board. There is something going on whether you like it not. Sure, he won but he certainly is not as popular as before.

Politics are not the same as sports.

Political Scientists study these results all that time. They try to analyse and dissect election outcomes. They study trends.

Gregor Robertson got 55% last time. He got 47% this time. The NPA got control of the Park Board. There is something going on whether you like it not. Sure, he won but he certainly is not as popular as before.

I can't argue that. I've never really liked him and I HATED that Vision domination of every facet of Civic politics. I have been YELLING for years that there is no consultation with Vision highlighted by the fact that ground was broken on many construction projects immediately (literally minutes) after being forced through. We should never have one party dominating Council, Parks and School Board.

He lost ground, but the higher number of votes for the NPA has more to do with the fact that more people voted than a surge in NPA popularity. The question is why was the turnout better? Perhaps it's because there were two parties spending gobs of money to prompt us to. Bill Rennie paid a lot of Gregor's bills while Peter Armstring paid $470K for Lapointe. At least I know what Rennie got for his "donation". The Armstrong's donation scared the hell out of me.

Nonsense. The rules for the election this year is the same as 4 years ago.

Your last sentence I certainly can't argue with. That said, I hope you also can't argue that he was still the most popular of all the candidates.

Good to see we agree on some things. I heard on the news the provincial government is making changes to campaign finances for civic elections. High time they did that. Too much money thrown around.

I went in gun a blazing, we likely agree on a more. I generally find the more I debate with someone, the closer we get on a issue. I do get very animated about voter turnout because voter apathy is the death of democracy. It's very difficult to know the real issues unless you choose to know them. The campaign dollars in civic elections can easily sway voters to vote for a candidate they are not aligned with. I sincerely hope the prov libs do make changes, that would be a good thing.

You know what really bugs be Don, it's the civic candidates using policy that have no jurisdiction over as part of their platform..That is dirty tricks.

I can't argue that. I've never really liked him and I HATED that Vision domination of every facet of Civic politics. I have been YELLING for years that there is no consultation with Vision highlighted by the fact that ground was broken on many construction projects immediately (literally minutes) after being forced through. We should never have one party dominating Council, Parks and School Board.

He lost ground, but the higher number of votes for the NPA has more to do with the fact that more people voted than a surge in NPA popularity. The question is why was the turnout better? Perhaps it's because there were two parties spending gobs of money to prompt us to. Bill Rennie paid a lot of Gregor's bills while Peter Armstring paid $470K for Lapointe. At least I know what Rennie got for his "donation". The Armstrong's donation scared the hell out of me.

I think its BOB Rennie.

Donations of over $6M, is far too much $$$ spent on civic politics, at least we all know that both parties have the developers in their back pockets.

I think its BOB Rennie.

Donations of over $6M, is far too much $$$ spent on civic politics, at least we all know that both parties have the developers in their back pockets.

You are correct, I am incorrect. We are in agreement on the developers having both parties in their back pockets. I know a Bill Rennie, I keep making that mistake.

Archived