The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extremely Disappointed in the Canucks Event Staff

Mr X

Last night myself and my brother were subject to sitting behind a row of 8 losers in Section 330. When I asked one of them to stop leaning on the rail I received threats. Now in the context of this, I am 210 pounds and 5'10", and can handle myself. However, having entered the professional world and due to my highly regulated industry, I longer get into fights or risk losing my ability do have license to do my job. Below is the beginning of an email chain exchanged with Victor De Bonis.

If anyone was sitting in my section feel free to post what you saw. For everyone else, I will post the results of my complaint, and we'll all be able to get a better sense of whether the Canucks actually give a f*** about their fans. It's likely too late for me at this point to continue to be able to be a fan of the company, but hopefully for some others it can shed some light.

Also, before the "you should've known better" posts come in, I wanted to return to my seats as I had come to watch the hockey game in the seats I paid good money for, and that was my mindset.

Just wanted to get my story out. If anyone has anything similar on security, feel free to post.

Sent: November-15-14 9:08:28 AM
To: ******
Cc: Michael Doyle (***@canucks.com)
Hi ******. I am sorry to read this. Michael Doyle, our Arena General Manager, and myself will
personally look into this on Monday and call you back as soon as we can.
Victor.
Sent from my iPhone
From: *** Sent: November-14-14 11:18:46 PM To: ***@canucks.com (***@canucks.com)
Dear Mr de Bonis,
I write to you this evening to make a request of the Canucks organization. My family purchased an Ice Pack for the first time for this season and our account number is: ***. I would like to request a refund for my remaining tickets of my remaining tickets due to the situation that the Rogers Arena staff had put myself, and my brother into this evening, November 14th 2014 at the game against the Coyotes. It is with incredible disappointment as a lifelong Vancouverite and Canucks fan to no longer have any desire to continue to cheer for the team I've grown up rooting for.
The context of the situation is that an incident occurred at approximately 10 minutes into the 2nd period of the game. Our seats are in section **, row ** and seats ***. We asked an individual who was leaning forward on the rail in row * in seat * or * to lean back. Subsequently the individual to his right asked us to "shut the f*ck up or we'll shut you up." When we asked again a second time for said individual to lean back, in an admittedly antagonistic tone, around 6-7 males immediately stood up in row ***and began to threaten to assault myself and my brother, who was sitting directly to my right. We immediately left our seats to seek security and we believe the issue was to be resolved quickly. The individuals whom we complained about were asked to follow security and police to leave the section temporarily. The individuals, who also are season ticket holders, in row ***seats ****, had vouched for our account of the story with the usher and present security as we stood at the entrance. The primary host, whose name escapes me, had told us to take a walk around. Without being told anymore information he had walked away with the said individuals. We asked the security guards if we could return to our seats as it was midway through the period. The east-Indian female security guard said "yes, it's ok to return to your seats". Soon after, the individuals we had complained about were one-by-one allowed to return to their seats. While they were walking up the stairs, security asked us to leave the section with them. As we obliged, one of the individuals we had complained about spat onto my brother. Security ensured us that the individual who had done it would be going to jail for the evening and we decided not to press charges.
Our discussion with the primary host was what was the most disappointing part of the entire evening and is the reason for my request. He told us that the accused group said that we had instigated the situation, and that we shouldn't have gone back to our seats, despite the fact that other security employees had allowed us, after asking them mind you, to return to our seats. I cannot describe in words how incredibly disappointed in the fashion that we were treated by the host, as it was your staff who put us back into that situation, and furthermore even be unapologetic when my brother was assaulted. There were multiple complaints from rows ***** in 330 according to the usher however she admitted to us she did not see anything that violated any rules herself. The individuals in row subsequently came down to the concessions level and again engaged into a conversation with the host, giving the host a story replicating the one we had provided. The host continued to be unapologetic, and that is why I am sending this email. He offered to give us seats in the lower bowl and to pay for the drycleaning for my brother's now stained clothing, which we accepted. While we do appreciate the gesture to a certain degree, the tone in which we were spoken to by the host, along with the fact that your staff had instructed us it was safe to return to our seats, puts myself in a situation where we can no longer support a company that treats its customers in this fashion. Incidents happen, it's an event where many are intoxicated, I understand that. But to be blamed by your employee for being the victim of an assault is simply unacceptable.
The individuals who had threatened us should not have been allowed back into their seats. We should not have been put in a situation where we could have been physically harmed and we should never have been accused of deserving to be the victim by your employee. A victim of a crime is at the end of the day, a victim and deserves to be treated as such.
I hope to hear back from yourself or someone on your staff. I can be reached through email, or my mobile ***
Regards,

I write to you this evening to make a request of the Canucks organization. My family purchased an Ice Pack for the first time for this season and our account number is: ***. I would like to request a refund for my remaining tickets of my remaining tickets due to the situation that the Rogers Arena staff had put myself, and my brother into this evening, November 14th 2014 at the game against the Coyotes. It is with incredible disappointment as a lifelong Vancouverite and Canucks fan to no longer have any desire to continue to cheer for the team I've grown up rooting for.

Overreaction much? Looks like it was a mistake by security but honestly, what do you expect? security can only do so much.

It's too bad you had to deal with idiots, but what do you expect? Thanks to social media, everyone thinks freedom of speech and not only do people have too much self entitlement, they have attitudes too. I'm sure the staff would rather not deal with it.

Overreaction much? Looks like it was a mistake by security but honestly, what do you expect? security can only do so much.

I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years on Canucks tickets and memorabilia. It's actually not the fact that we got spat on or that security let us back. It's that the main event supervisor decided to attempt to pin in on us, despite the fact that there were multiple complaints and ticket holders in our area backing our story. I don't care about the altercation as much, sh** happens, more about the treatment and the discussion we had afterwards that's the crux of my complaint.

I can admit this is an overreaction to someone who wasn't involved. But in the context of this, how would you react to a sibling or wife or husband be spat on? We did not engage physically, we did the right thing. However I almost regret not doing so in hindsight, as the event staff. It's a big deal when we shell out for a ticket package. I paid money for my seats. This is about definitely about money. Don't happily take my money and give me sh*tty service. That's not good business IMO.

so it's because of the hosts tone? but he did seem to offered you different seats and to clean the shirt didn't he? imagine the stress he has to deal with. Not everyone can sound positive all the time. Anyways, I dunno. I wasn't there, so your right. Who knows.

Maybe Bonis will give you something.

It isn't Monday? Isn't this a bit premature? You haven't even allowed for them to respond, as promised? Or is this grandstanding for emphasis? (can't help but feel maybe it is)

Honestly, I can see following up if they ignore you, but you got a prompt response with a promise to follow up. That seems pretty attentive to me?

Help me if I'm missing something.

The thing is, this is the employee's fault and you must allow for the process to be carried out - it isn't immediate and I'm sure it will be looked into. They did you wrong, the organization didn't fail you because a human element is involved, and some seemingly made poor judgement calls. I understand you're upset and reacting in an emotional state, but they did give a temporary solution:

He offered to give us seats in the lower bowl and to pay for the drycleaning for my brother's now stained clothing, which we accepted.

The most important thing in situations like this is providing distance and removing someone from a volatile situation, and it seems they were doing that.

And you have been promised that this will be looked into, so what more can be expected than that? Things happen, but to blame/abandon the organization? Give them a chance to respond before deciding - the team didn't do this. Victor didn't do this. The individuals in question who did should have to answer for this, and likely will. But, until then, have patience?

I encountered a similar deal at a WWF (at the time) event. And, it was handled poorly by staff (similar to your deal, except I was a single Mom with a son who encountered the trouble makers outside when walking to my car). But I wrote an email and got a response that was basically an apology with a promise to address the issue. Which was accepted by me, as there are idiots in every crowd.

Are you the same guy that posted to Reddit complaining about Rogers Arena? If so I'm going to link that post because the picture is painted much clearer, and in that thread it's pretty evident that the OP and his brother were at fault for escalating the conflict.

http://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/2mcztz/rogers_arena_customer_service_is_an_absolute_joke/

With that, I do feel it was poorly handled (in having asked you to "walk around", etc.). You paid to watch the game in seats, not wander around. So I fee that they should have removed those in question and then, upon returning THEM to their seats if they felt it was a two sides deal, had someone there, watching for awhile. Not just thrown you to the wolves. I mean, in having that on the rails, they should be enforcing it, not expecting others to "work around it" when someone does lean. It was a small deal that escalated, but shouldn't have. If they'd done it right and had someone monitor the situation, it would have prevented all the other stuff that played out.

My concern here is if they are seasons ticket holders and you have an ice pack, you'll meet again. So some seats need to be swapped here in order to provide closure in this. Really, these types of people need to be banned...there is no place in the arena for patrons who disrespect not only the rules, but everyone around them. Learn the hard way - "don't come back".

So you are mad because someone at a hockey game was standing up?

Good luck.

No, re-read it. Leaning on the rails. And it IS a problem, as it means the people behind the entitled ones leaners can't see. Take note people, don't do it, it's rude and we are all Canucks, not just you.

Two sides to every story. I have witnesses that we did not engage physically until after it took place. That situation wasn't the issue. I don't want to get into a fight asking someone to lean back, however, it is what it is. Other party ended up in drunk tank I presume, so it's pretty clear what the end result of that is.

It's a frustrating situation that was made infinitely worse by the staff. There's a right way to deal with things and I don't believe that we were treated properly afterwards. Respect is simply moving us to the new seats and moving on with it, which I was happy to do. It was at a point when emotions were clearly still high, so that is the issue. In my profession, I deal with clients everyday. Customer service is always #1, I don't feel I got that. I have high standards, and I don't expect that to change.

Two sides to every story. I have witnesses that we did not engage physically until after it took place. That situation wasn't the issue. I don't want to get into a fight asking someone to lean back, however, it is what it is. Other party ended up in drunk tank I presume, so it's pretty clear what the end result of that is.

It's a frustrating situation that was made infinitely worse by the staff. There's a right way to deal with things and I don't believe that we were treated properly afterwards. Respect is simply moving us to the new seats and moving on with it, which I was happy to do. It was at a point when emotions were clearly still high, so that is the issue. In my profession, I deal with clients everyday. Customer service is always #1, I don't feel I got that. I have high standards, and I don't expect that to change.

This would suggest that you did engage physically, making you part of the problem, not the solution. Despite what brought you to that point, you have choices in how you respond and "giving it back to them" puts you at their level.

There's an old saying that goes "two wrongs don't make a right" and by engaging them, you were all wrong at that point. Staff obviously had to diffuse and weed through things.

Again, I understand your being upset and you have some valid points....but allow the process to play out. It seems that even during the altercation, you jumped the gun/in. And now, again, are jumping ahead of yourself. Take a breathe - you've sent the email now wait to see what sort of answers you get before you decide. It seems unfair not to?

I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years on Canucks tickets and memorabilia. It's actually not the fact that we got spat on or that security let us back. It's that the main event supervisor decided to attempt to pin in on us, despite the fact that there were multiple complaints and ticket holders in our area backing our story. I don't care about the altercation as much, sh** happens, more about the treatment and the discussion we had afterwards that's the crux of my complaint.

I can admit this is an overreaction to someone who wasn't involved. But in the context of this, how would you react to a sibling or wife or husband be spat on? We did not engage physically, we did the right thing. However I almost regret not doing so in hindsight, as the event staff. It's a big deal when we shell out for a ticket package. I paid money for my seats. This is about definitely about money. Don't happily take my money and give me sh*tty service. That's not good business IMO.

I would have taken the up-graded seats, the dry-cleaning, an apology....and called it all good & done.

Maybe your complaints to Victor de Bonis, will even get you & your bro another perk or gift... as well as the apology already sent,..but on the scale of bad experiences in a sports stadium,...this was not all that alarming. Go see an English soccer match wearing an away-jersey sometime!

You had a few choices when you couldn't get along with the people infront of you at the game. It was a boring game, which was already an irritant for many. I'm sure that didn't help the ambiance much. Did ya try being chummy to see if they'd be more respectful....first? F-bombing isn't being chummy! Reporting inappropriate conduct & disturbing behaviors to an attendant or security, who DO have the authority to ask for compliance & can enforce consequences when they're not repected....is appropriate. Still NOT satisfied with the result? Ask to be moved to better seats - permanently. What else can they do in this instance? If you have problems in your new seats,.. then hold-up a mirror & work on your people skills.

Filing a complaint was good,...as it forces the arena staff to be more accountable & aware of potential hot-spots,...but keep in mind it was far easier to move the 2 of you to more decent seats,... than the 6 or 8 of them to other seats,.. or create further disturbances by ejecting or re-seating some of them,... let alone sending anyone to the clink,...and having to deal with the PR fall-out from that, too! I think your expectations hint at some vindictiveness, here. You really wanted to SEE these guys properly and/or more permanently punished...am I right? Is this what your satisfaction is really hanging on? It's not about the faux-pas of being mis-seated by some minimum-wage flunkie,..or about the whole experience with this product any more... is it?

We don't have to tolerate idiots for long. But - you ,sir, will miss out on watching a good group of guys play hockey..& being around & among far better & more enthusiastic people than you found in Sect. 330. The rest of this section should have the balls to write-in their complaints, too! Pushing & shoving or fights breakin'-out amongst fans standing over steeply-inclined cement stairs,...well,.... that's just bad! And - the truth is probably still out there. Attendants or cameras may need to be permanently placed in the area... & with more video-evidence & after being given the opportunity to correct themselves,...if those season-ticket holders (whom you describe as brutes) don't get with the program,...yes,...they could ultimately find themselves being banned from entering the arena, in the future. Everyone deserves their warnings, tho'. Talk & bravado are cheap things,...& drunken-talk is even cheaper...as you have already pointed out, yourself.

Proceed in whatever manner you think best,....but, since you asked our opinions....DO manage to forgive & forget to some degree, or you might not be able to find many places left, where you can hang your sports jacket, ball-cap or pom-poms....in the future.

Just my two cents:

The arena staff handled it poorly. As Deb said, you shouldn't have to "take a walk" especially if they were to sole instigator/were the only ones to blame, especially if you had witnesses' to corroborate your story. They shouldn't have been allowed to return, and they certainly shouldn't have been allowed to return to the seats where you and your brother were sitting.

Now, with that said, the fact that they gave you lower bowl seats for the rest of the game and offered to pay for your dry cleaning is a very nice gesture. However, you are right to report it to someone, not sure how you got De Bonis' email, but the way in which you addressed the email was somewhat childish. Could it have been handled better? Yes. Is it such a big deal that you "no longer have any desire to continue to cheer for the team I've grown up rooting for. ". Absolutely not.

Obviously it's extremely disappointing going to a game, and experiencing something like this, but you have to realize that there are always idiots in the crowd. I remember me and my stepdad going to a Lions game and sitting in the endzone; some drunk guy dumped a beer on my stepdads head, and we left, he didn't write a scathing email to someone, and guess what, we went to the next home game the very next weekend. (My stepdad's a former bodybuilder, he also is very capable of handling himself). Just because theres one idiot, or a couple of idiots in the crowd doesn't give you an excuse to give up on your team.

If it was me in that situation, I would have asked for new seats for your ice-pack, and if you really wanted to milk it, send an email and maybe get a jersey or something out of it.

Their behaviour was inappropriate and disrespectful from the start. Spitting is way over the top. I assume they were drunk? From an outsiders view, and likely securities, the minute you grabbed them and started pushing, you became part of the problem however. From securities persepctive, you became another unruly fan that needed to be dealt with.

Archived