The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extremely Disappointed in the Canucks Event Staff

Mr X

Sucks that your bro got spat on but cmon...you got relocated and put in a better spot. What did you think the Canucks organization owed you more than that? Free food, drinks, your name in the rafters? What else did you want? Had my sympathy for being spat on but lost it being entitled and overdramatic.

Here's how I see it...

-They were jerks and nothing you said would stop that.

-You were in the Bud Zone (It shouldn't matter but be aware that things get sloppier there)

-You reacted poorly by swearing and escalating.

-You reacted poorly by not going to the Host first rather than get into a verbal confrontation with drunk idiots. (Did you REALLY think that was going to work?)

-The Arena staff were trying to settle the matter whereby everyone could watch the game to the finish.

-The Security made the right decision to allow you back into your seats while the group was being talked to in the concourse.

-There were likely assurances from the group that they would comply. The Event Manager obviously didn't anticipate the spitting.

-They should have been, and would have been, tossed at that point.

-You reacted poorly by making it physical. As obscene as being spit on is, that put you immediately in the wrong.

-The Manager actually gave you a pretty deal with upgraded seats and dry-cleaning when you both could have been tossed for aggression at that point.

You didn't start the problem, I get that. You just handled it really poorly.

If you're in customer service, as you say, then you must have some sympathy for the event staff who also had to deal not just with a group of jerks but a customer who made matters worse.

I have one question for you OP…

In all your years of being a Canucks fan and going to games, have you had good interactions with event staff too? Or just bad ones?

Because… if you've had many more good experiences than bad then it's an isolated incident and you are having a level of entitlement that assumes every situation should be held perfectly to your liking. That not realistic over hundreds of encounters.

If there have been many bad experiences with staff (and, I'm guessing, other fans too) then maybe you should adjust your behaviour too.

Security ensured us that the individual who had done it would be going to jail for the evening and we decided not to press charges.

So you essentially tied the hands of the staff by not pressing charges. If you were that upset about the situation and getting spat on you should've pressed charges. You can't expect the security or Police to do anything when you complain(or cry) to them and then tell them you aren't willing to press charges.

Overreaction much? Looks like it was a mistake by security but honestly, what do you expect? security can only do so much.

It's too bad you had to deal with idiots, but what do you expect? Thanks to social media, everyone thinks freedom of speech and not only do people have too much self entitlement, they have attitudes too. I'm sure the staff would rather not deal with it.

I agree, why would you stop cheering for the team..... makes zero sense it wasnt the team threatening you lol

Appreciate the feedback good and bad, I am definitely stubborn and an emotional fan. This incident had nothing to do with the score. I've never been kicked out of any arena ever, having been to about 50 Canucks games in my life if that means anything. I think as someone who has been a passionate fan is why it stings to have arena staff patronize me and not take any sort of blame. Because this could have been much worse, but thankfully wasn't. I know that in this situation, my word likely means nothing, which is why I heavily stressed to the multiple complaints the usher told us she received, and the ticket holders who directly vouched for us in our row. We were not the problem, I can assure you of that.

While I don't condone physical retaliation of any kind, I do empathize with the OP. This issue of leaning on the rail is a real problem in Rogers Arena. I've had that happen to me quite a few times during Hockey games and concerts. Despite signs all over the railings asking everyone not to do this, some are either ignorant or just don't give a crap. You pay big bucks to watch a game only to have half your view obstructed because the inconsiderate idiot in front of you doesn't care. IMHO, the ushers should do a better job in watching for this. It shouldn't be up to me to ask the person in front. I pay hundreds of dollars to watch a game and I have to make sure the guy in front of me is following the rules? Also risking a confrontation and a potentially unpleasant situation? The staff needs to be more proactive take of this issue as well belligerent behavior. Anyone who spits or is verbally abusive to someone else should be tossed out immediately with no questions asked.

Appreciate the feedback good and bad, I am definitely stubborn and an emotional fan. This incident had nothing to do with the score. I've never been kicked out of any arena ever, having been to about 50 Canucks games in my life if that means anything. I think as someone who has been a passionate fan is why it stings to have arena staff patronize me and not take any sort of blame. Because this could have been much worse, but thankfully wasn't. I know that in this situation, my word likely means nothing, which is why I heavily stressed to the multiple complaints the usher told us she received, and the ticket holders who directly vouched for us in our row. We were not the problem, I can assure you of that.

The arena staff weren't to blame.

They may have made some bad judgement calls and missed the leaning. Did you ask for help before getting verbally aggressive with other patrons? No.

Are you going to accept your part of the blame?

I know I seriously lol'd when I read that... and besides 5'10 210 is nothing..

You dont know what your'e talking about.

Example: Rick Rypien....not even 190.....I know one guy at 146 that would have made those guys nights end in the hospital....if you know what youre doing and have the mentality you dont need to be big. The fact that those guys had to spit kinda sums up their gumption.

But yes mentioning his own height and weight was a bit unecessary

I've been spit on myself at a bar and as a man I can relate to how ABSOLUTELY difficult it is not to retaliate. I'm not a violent person but these kinds of punks need a Mike Tyson punch to the face. Might not be legal justice but certainly moral justice IMO. Spitting on someone is way more disrespectful then getting shoved.

My opinion only

I believe the mistake was made when you verbally swore at the people in front. They were wrong but whats the point of you swearing at them. Would that intimidate them and make them lean back? The proper way in my opinion is to inform the ushers of the situation and let them handle the situation.

I believe when you bought the tickets, you have the rights to actually see the game so if the people in front of you are leaning then its the problem of the organization and they should be informed and they usually find a way to remedy the situation. I find myself that asking people in front not to lean is pretty useless. They tend to ignore you, insult you, explain to you that people in front of them are leaning, etc. Take it up with the usher and let them deal with it, thats there job.

All that being said, the more than likely issue here is the beer being served. Most 'jerks' at the arena have had one too many but the real problem is that nothing will ever be done about it because the 'organization' makes a pretty penny on the sale of beer and besides, how do you enjoy the hockey game without having a cold one?

Ive gone to many games myself and the worse that has happened to me was that my jacket got drenched in beer from the guy behind me who was a little too happy the Canucks scored.

These things happen in sporting events especially with alcohol served. So unfortunately, try to accept it as part of the experience.

While I don't condone physical retaliation of any kind, I do empathize with the OP. This issue of leaning on the rail is a real problem in Rogers Arena. I've had that happen to me quite a few times during Hockey games and concerts. Despite signs all over the railings asking everyone not to do this, some are either ignorant or just don't give a crap. You pay big bucks to watch a game only to have half your view obstructed because the inconsiderate idiot in front of you doesn't care. IMHO, the ushers should do a better job in watching for this. It shouldn't be up to me to ask the person in front. I pay hundreds of dollars to watch a game and I have to make sure the guy in front of me is following the rules? Also risking a confrontation and a potentially unpleasant situation? The staff needs to be more proactive take of this issue as well belligerent behavior. Anyone who spits or is verbally abusive to someone else should be tossed out immediately with no questions asked.

Agree with this totally. If ushers do a better job watching out for people leaning over the rail, it would prevent this type of confrontation.

Having said that, I think this particular incident could've been handled better. I've also been in this type of situation a few times. Each time I would ask the person blocking my view politely to sit back as he was blocking my view. That usually worked. The one time it didn't... the guy ignored me... I went up to the usher and told him about the guy blocking my view. I let the usher tell the guy to sit back. Luckily for me there wasn't any repercussions .... and I'm not even 5'10" and 210!

In the OP's situation, since there was a group of these idiots in front of him, I wouldn't have even bothered confronting the guy. I would've just gone quietly to tell the usher about him blocking my view. Why risk a confrontation with a bunch of drunks?

..why would you stop cheering for the team..... makes zero sense it wasnt the team threatening you lol

This is where you lost me too. What kind of Canuck fan are you? Your ties to the team are so tenuous that all it takes is some low paid security worker in an arena who has no actual connection to the operation of the team itself to screw up your evening, and you're off the bandwagon?... hell he may even not like hockey, or worse a Flames fan. He's just an untrained and/or ignorant idiot who handled it wrong.

Its like refusing to drink a beer because the server was rude to you. <_<

Archived