The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

worst nhl contract at moment

canuktravella

Clarkson. Worst contract possibly ever. Phaneuf is up there too, as well as all the big moves the caps and oilers made last summer. Also every contract ever that circumvented the cap that is still in effect... Weber's and Luongo's, as good as they are, the length and terms of both contracts are ludicrous. Though Luongo's is a lot more cap friendly then most.

you weren't around for:

Alexei Yashin.

DiPietro is up there for worst ever aswell

you weren't around for:

DiPietro is up there for worst ever aswell

Ooooh I was around for those. I completely forget about the two of them. Nevermind, DiPierto and Yashin win. As well as Scott Gomez. Currently though, none of them are around to laugh at sadly.

Clarkson's contract is not only horribly overvalued, it's practically buyout-proof:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=780&buyout_y=2015&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

If the Leafs bought him out at the end of this season, he'd still occupy at least $3.7 million in cap space for the next 5 years. Not to mention he has an NMC and a modified NTC.

Ooooh I was around for those. I completely forget about the two of them. Nevermind, DiPierto and Yashin win. As well as Scott Gomez. Currently though, none of them are around to laugh at sadly.

Just think Mike Milbury was around for both of those deals, with Yashin he was the GM and DiPeitro as the Vice Pres.

Not to mention trading young players before their prime; Chara, Luongo, Bertuzzi, Redden, Jokinen, and a second overall draft pick (spezza)

He also picked DiPeitro 1st overall over Heatley and Gaborik when the team already had the upcoming star Luongo.

Phaneuf's is pretty damn bad. NMC + limited NTC on top of it.

Clarkson's already matched his goal total from last season (played 60 games) in 18 games. It's a bit lengthy but still not as bad as Phaneuf's deal. Also a NMC + limited NTC on top of it.

Orpik's is not as bad because there's no NTC or NMC involved. Yes, he is older, but they can trade him to a team looking for a veteran in 2-3 years or even now if they wish to. They may have to retain some cap, but because there is no NTC, not as bad IMO.

His teammate, Niskanen, however, is a different story. That's an awful contract - especially when you have to re-up on Mike Green this year (Green's not amazing, but he's better than Niskanen). Length, cap hit, limited NTC - awful.

Bobby Holik. 9Mil a season for Bobby Holik. That was the worst. Dipietro's wound up being bad, but it was a hell of a gamble. If he'd managed to stay healthy he was projected to be a crazy good goaltender; to be locked up "for life" for a 4.5m deal (now with the cap at more than double what it was when he signed it) would have been very shrewd had it worked out. It didn't, but at least there was strong reasoning behind it.

Currently the worst, I'd have to say Semin or Clarkson. Phaneuf isn't as bad as people make him out to be... he's in "Edler mode" - an instinct defenceman who will make bonehead plays. But if he has someone safe and steady backing him up he's actually quite good; physical, strong shot, sees the offensive zone quite well. Plus he can count the number of cookies Phil Kessel ate at the team meeting. Always important. Worth at least 2m.

Just think Mike Milbury was around for both of those deals, with Yashin he was the GM and DiPeitro as the Vice Pres.

Not to mention trading young players before their prime; Chara, Luongo, Bertuzzi, Redden, Jokinen, and a second overall draft pick (spezza)

He also picked DiPeitro 1st overall over Heatley and Gaborik when the team already had the upcoming star Luongo.

Ooh Milbury... The Islanders are still to this day feeling the pain Milbury caused them... he completely ruined a once great franchise single handedly. Could you imagine the dynasty they could've had? On the bright side for the Isles, this is the last year they're paying Yashin... :lol: DiPietro's gonna bite them for the next 15 years though.

Dave Bolland, Panthers fans try to make themselves feel better by saying that they don't spend to the cap anyway. Keep in my mind I was one of this guy's biggest fans, but he is a fraction of the player he once was and now paid twice and as much. Heck I would take Clarkson over Bolland, at least Clarkson would give me a full season. Bolland will probably average 35 games a year and will force the Panthers to keep him on the payroll for the rest of the length of that contract.

Although Clarkson's contract is still terrible, he's not playing that bad. Has 5 goals - on pace for 23.

Semin's contract is also bad. But despite having no goals (5 assists though), he's actually playing some decent 2-way hockey. He has a good relative Corsi, and has generated 13 takeaways in 13 games. Nobody in the league has much more than 1/game.

Hodgson has been far worse than either of those guys this year.

Archived