The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) defense corp

edlers had a beast rebound yr. tanev helps cover his mistakes big minutes being eaten playing well

tanev has been a defensive rock plus gets shots through to net even tho his shot is lacking. how much do we sign him for next yr? 3.5-4 is that fair or will he want more

bieska looks injured this yr hope he gets healthy in next week and plays like he can, solid hits and works well defensive part needs to be tighened up a bit

sbisa suprised at how well hes done since a shakey start is a perfect 5-6 dman hits like a freight train

hamhuis looks like hes injured out there weak defensive plus minus worst since right rookie yr is bad at moment hes looking old and slow if im benning i really think id try and get a young dman and picks from a contender for him

stanton perfect 6-7 dman right hand shot has grit brings it every night please resign him soon

weber soft small hasnt done much on pp which last yr was his bread and butter trade for picks or package in a bigger trade no place on team for him

missing parts on d a fast puck moving dman ppqb and a big mean shutdown guy that hurts people in front of net.

who should benning target we have some assets we could unload. we have a logjam at forward wait til we find out if horvat goes back to junior after 9 game stint.

but. hansen, mattias, richardson, weber, hamhuis, burrows, jensen are all players id offer up to make this team not a pretender im sure willie hasnt been iimpressed with some weak efforts in games time to cut the fat and get younger. what do you guys think

edlers had a beast rebound yr. ...

hansen, mattias, richardson, weber, hamhuis, burrows, jensen are all players id offer up to make this team not a pretender im sure willie hasnt been iimpressed with some weak efforts in games time to cut the fat and get younger. what do you guys think

I thought the season was only 18 games old-18 games being a little less than a yr. That being said, I agree Edler appears to making a nice rebound from last year's disaster.

I thlnk that last statement actually doesn't work. I don't see the players named as "fat" to be cut and believe getting rid of all of them is almost certainly going to bring a return that makes the team weaker. Obviously, I'm differing with the OP on the effectiveness of some of the players named. Further, I don't know exactly what is meant by making the team "not a pretender" but the suggestion is that getting younger will do it.

If the suggestion is that getting younger by getting rid of some of your named players and promoting prospects will do, I can't understand the thinking behind it. The young player who would seem to have the best chance of improving the team might be Jensen, who was the last forward cut in preseason and among the best performers in the disaster against Arizona on Friday night, he's listed in the original post as someone to be traded.

Pretty clearly moving the kids up before they've clearly beaten out the veterans they'd be replacing is contrary to Benning's intended methods. See

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports /Iain+MacIntyre+Sanguinetti+grinds+back+Rogers+Arena/10382630/story.html in which JB was quoted as follows:

“Since the start of the year, we’ve been preaching things earned and not given,” Benning explained Friday. “We want to send that message to the players down there, that if you play well and work hard every night, then you’re going to get an opportunity to get called up and be part of our organization.

“Even our first-round picks, they need to understand that this is what it takes to be a Vancouver Canuck and to win."

and

"“You try to reward the right behavior,” Desjardins explained. “I’d like the future of our club to be a hard-working club. We want guys that, it doesn’t matter their skill level, when they come up, they play hard.”

That philosophy makes sense to me. It means making the young players learn to work hard, be consistent and beat out the incumbents, not just give them spots based on talent. They get to be better players if not allowed to just coast on their talent. It is also consistent with WD's comments on sending Jensen back to the AHL-he said he'd played well but hadn't clearly beaten out the vets. See http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/11/15/coach-willie-on-why-nick-jensen-was-sent-back-to-utica/

As with other replying, I found it difficult to get to the point of the original post.

A few of the players you referred to moving have full or modified no trade clauses.

hansen and sestito and weber bring nothing a young player couldnt do given a chance either trade some of these vets and bring in what we are missing or go with youth.

We're getting closer to agreeing.

The latest post leaves off Matthias, Richardson, Hamhuis, Burrows and Jensen from the original list of players to move and replace with kids, and I agree with those deletions.

Many would agree with you about Hansen. I happen to believe he brings quite a bit more to the Canucks than quite a few on here do.

While imo Sestito seems to be the best player of his type in the system, I'm not about to argue about whether someone who pretty clearly hadn't gotten the confidence of his coach to play a regular shift should be kept on the team and I'd agree with you that the Canucks have to at least consider whether to move him at some time to make space for another player.

Weber is just over 26 YO and has done pretty decently in his time with the Canucks this season. He's really been a pretty good #7 defenceman. Likely replacements from the minors appear to be Sanguinetti, Andersson and Corrado. I can't say whether any of them has shown enough to convince Canucks to make room for them. Sanguinetti is actually a few months older than Weber, who is himself fairly young at just over 26. He may have played well enough to have some trade value to a team that is short of defencemen, possible trade bait if Canucks think they have enough defensive depth without him.

I like JB's position that young players need to earn their spots, and frankly haven't seen anything since the 2013 preseason to indicate Corrado has. He may or may not have deserved to stick in training camp in 2013, but it's hard to see what he's done since then to earn a spot. He's still only 21 and has time, but is there anything he's done in the last year to suggest he's earned a spot ahead of Weber, Sanguinetti and Andersson?

Another thing to think about when looking at whether to move Weber is where the Canucks will be in 2 years, after the Bieksa and Hamhuis contracts have expired. We don't know yet how they will look over the next 2 years and whether they'll sign new contracts with the Canucks. Assuming the Canucks don't lose other defensive assets, that leaves Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Stanton and Weber from the current Canucks, plus Sanguinetti, Andersson and Corrado who are currently the prospects appearing closest to being ready. That's just barely more than enough if everybody stays and does ok but isn't exactly a deep group. Can Canucks afford to give up any defencemen without getting defencemen back in that or other transactions?

Archived