The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-CAL

Well your post in my opinion is not accurate at all with how flames fans feel, at least not with the folks I have spoken to. Most here are very impressed with him and 960 hasn't shut up about him while on his ppg pace during his first 9 games.

As for your gio and tj comparisons, well I'm sorry they're just stupid imo as you can say that about so many players10-20 games in.

I simply just pointed out to you Markus has had better start to his career then his brother, hell this season he is better then his brother. He has the same amount of points in half the games.

Considering I’m surrounded by flames fans I would say it is. Fan 960 hasn’t gone off on this kid at all, They’ve really only mentioned him in the last two games where he’s had good outting, but it wasn’t the official knighting of him. It was, can he serve this role better than Stajan and how Stajans contract length with his NTC will effect Granlund long term. Try proposing a trade Mikael for Markus see how many wild fans would be on board with that.

As far as saying Markus has a better start to his career than Mikael. By the time Mikael was 21 he already played 90 games and put up 49 points, not to mention his 7 points in playoff in 13 games. Markus who is only one year younger (21), has managed to play a total 16 games.

It does seem not smart to base a prediction for Brodie and Gio off only 20 games, so why would one call a player who’s played a total of 16 NHL games a future first line center who will put up 80+ points.

As for saying he’s better this season, sure Markus has done well in the games he’s played, But he also didn’t make the flames roster out of the gate (half of his point total was in the last two games). Will he maintain this pace, I doubt it.

Considering I’m surrounded by flames fans I would say it is. Fan 960 hasn’t gone off on this kid at all, They’ve really only mentioned him in the last two games where he’s had good outting, but it wasn’t the official knighting of him. It was, can he serve this role better than Stajan and how Stajans contract length with his NTC will effect Granlund long term. Try proposing a trade Mikael for Markus see how many wild fans would be on board with that.

As far as saying Markus has a better start to his career than Mikael. By the time Mikael was 21 he already played 90 games and put up 49 points, not to mention his 7 points in playoff in 13 games. Markus who is only one year younger (21), has managed to play a total 16 games.

It does seem not smart to base a prediction for Brodie and Gio off only 20 games, so why would one call a player who’s played a total of 16 NHL games a future first line center who will put up 80+ points.

As for saying he’s better this season, sure Markus has done well in the games he’s played, But he also didn’t make the flames roster out of the gate (half of his point total was in the last two games). Will he maintain this pace, I doubt it.

Not sure if you realize but I live in Calgary, so I'm also around flames fans daily and again960 has mentioned Granlund's performance a lot. Now I never said he was a 80 point player, in fact I laughed at that idea. If this was a Canuck prospect that was a ppg in his first 9 then most on cdc would claim he was a generational talent.

Again I'm pointing out that you atm are not giving him the respect he deserves cause he has played well and you're also basing his talent ceiling on draft position and not making the team out of camp. Kinda ridiculous really.

Well this post should make warhippy happy.

Just because Mikael was taken 9th overall doesn't necessarily mean he will be a better player. I agree with you that calling Markus a 80 point guy atm is kinda ridiculous, however early on he is on a point per game pace something his brother didn't achieve. Furthermore through the same amount of games to start their careers Markus has been the better Granlund. I'm not sure how much you have or if you have ever watched him play but he does look like a very good player, again early in his career though.

So what the crap does this mean ?

If you thought for a second I'd actually agree to that crap trade you're a lot more Milbury esque than I thought

So what the crap does this mean ?

If you thought for a second I'd actually agree to that crap trade you're a lot more Milbury esque than I thought

No, no not at all. No one has agreed to these trades, I was simply debating that just cause Markus wasn't drafted as high as his brother doesn't mean he can't be just as good or even better then his brother.

Something I thought would be music to your ears. :)

No, no not at all. No one has agreed to these trades, I was simply debating that just cause Markus wasn't drafted as high as his brother doesn't mean he can't be just as good or even better then his brother.

Something I thought would be music to your ears. :)

Fair enough but nope not at all the case. He stands every chance of being better, just not a trade i'd even consider making.

If none of you think these are fair, explain why not because my explanations make far more sense than your nonesense.

Granlund is currently scoring in the NHL at a point per game pace. He has proven he can score and play with adults all his life, and now he's doing it at the level that matters the most.

Shinkaruk has never played in the NHL, and is barely 0.5 points per game in the AHL, yet you think Shinkaruk is going to be better than Granlund? Based on what, the fact that he was a 1st round pick?

wow you continue to show how little you actually know about the nucks or hockey for that matter. iv'e read a lot of ur posts but this one takes the cake. Were not deep down the middle? That and the flames are built to win now pretty much forced me to be a dick and rant. I usually try to be positive but sure the flames are a great story so far, but I will be shocked if they continue to keep this up. They really havent had the toughest of schedules except for a lot of road games but they have feasted on weak eastern teams and often face teams backup goalies. They also don't have great possesion numbers and a lot of there players have unsustainable shooting percentages. As for anything you say about the nucks i ignore as you are on record as saying ehlers and nylander are better then any prospect we have. Hows ehlers doing without his buddy drouin?

Firstly, I have never been a fan of Ehlers and never said we should pick him ahead of Virtanen. We should have picked Nylander but that's a whole different story, and these trades address the hole that Nylander would have filled.

The Canucks may look fine at center right now, but this is a trade for our future, not the present, which I thought would be obvious enough considering the age of the players, but I guess I'll have to spell it out for children like you.

What happens when Henrik and Daniel Sedin retire? Look at our centers in 5 years time:

Henrik Sedin: Retired

Bonino: He'll be 31, we may or may not re-sign him afterwards and he'll probably be a 3rd line center at best by then.

Richardson: Probably gone next season

Matthias: The worst Canuck right now, don't be surprised if he doesn't get a contract offer

Vey: He's looked good, very inconsistent at times but he doesn't have superstar/point per game player written on him

Horvat: Obviously he's highly tauted and has shown he can play with men in his little stint, but we all know realistically that his ceiling is a 2nd line center. He'll never carry a team offensively.

Gaunce: Exactly the same as Horvat.

Cassels: Sure he's impressing at the OHL level right now, but he's older than most of the kids he's scoring against and he's on a very good line so don't look into the numbers too much. I highly doubt he'd be able to translate that success to the NHL level. The kid is a very decent 2nd line center at best and doesn't have star quality.

McCann: Exactly the same as Cassels but is younger and is producing despite injuries. He may actually end up a great first line center but we have absolutely no idea how Cassels or McCann will fare in the AHL let alone the NHL.

In summary, all we have are a bunch of 2nd and 3rd line centers for our future. This franchise does not have a star future first line center, and that's what my trades address. If you think and hope that Cassels, McCann or Vey can somehow turn it on and become star 1Cs then that's VERY naive of you. There's a big difference between these prospects and the true elite centers of the league's prospects. Don't kid yourself into thinking Cassels and McCann will save this team because the probability of them becoming 80-100 point centers in the NHL is unrealistic and idiotic.

If none of you think these are fair, explain why not because my explanations make far more sense than your nonesense.

You seriously think CGY is going to give up a top pick like Bennet who has already shown a ton of offensive potential, a future top 6 C, possibly a first line C for AHL Markstrom & MAYBE a second? That is plain crazy. Go find a quiet mountaintop somewhere and ponder the lunacy of that proposal.

CGY isn't about to give up their C depth as they are rebuilding now and for the future. Monahan and Bennet are going to be their franchise players. IF CGY was looking to add some goalie depth like Markstron, the Canucks MIGHT be able to swing a deal for a guy like Backlund, maybe.

TO VAN: Sam Bennett

TO CAL: Markstrom and maybe a 2nd round pick too

I dont understand the logic here. A player who just got drafted 4th Overall, was considered the the number 1 pick by CS, and is only 18 years of age, is traded for a under performing goalie with potential, and maybe, just maaaaybe a second round pick? Maybe we should trade Matthias for this years fourth overall pick? maybe throw in Hansen and a 5th round pick too, theyll bite on that for sure.

smh...

I dont understand the logic here. A player who just got drafted 4th Overall, was considered the the number 1 pick by CS, and is only 18 years of age, is traded for a under performing goalie with potential, and maybe, just maaaaybe a second round pick? Maybe we should trade Matthias for this years fourth overall pick? maybe throw in Hansen and a 5th round pick too, theyll bite on that for sure.

smh...

just want to point out, markstrom right now is far from under performing.

But otherwise you're exactly right

You seriously think CGY is going to give up a top pick like Bennet who has already shown a ton of offensive potential, a future top 6 C, possibly a first line C for AHL Markstrom & MAYBE a second? That is plain crazy. Go find a quiet mountaintop somewhere and ponder the lunacy of that proposal.

CGY isn't about to give up their C depth as they are rebuilding now and for the future. Monahan and Bennet are going to be their franchise players. IF CGY was looking to add some goalie depth like Markstron, the Canucks MIGHT be able to swing a deal for a guy like Backlund, maybe.

Y-you don't understand! Bennett is... "unproven".

Archived