The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) 2nd round defencman to keep eye on

Brandon carlo is a big defencman. He is 6'5 and only 17 years old. Imagine him and tryamkin in 3-5 years. Now I would like to see benning draft somone like matthew barzal in the 1st round. I know we need D prospects but we can get that in the second and carlo is a guy i can see benning keeping an eye on.

Classic case of pulling moose poop out of thin air.

If Carlo keeps his projection on track, he will be a mid to late 1st round pick, no way he slides to the 2nd round. He's drawing comparisons to Jack Johnson, which isn't so bad imo.

According to many, he's an incredibly smooth skater for such a big guy, plays a rough agitating style, has a hell of a shot and is a RH D: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120965

If this guy is available anywhere from 18-24 which is where I expect the Canucks to be picking, then I would love for Benning to pick him up.

I really hope they address organizational need in the 1st round, which imo is Franchise/Future 1C > Future top 2 RH D > Future Top 4 D.

I agree with everything you said. However i did some research and a lot of drafts have him early to mid 2nd round pick. He may go in 1st conisiderin how hard it is to rank this high draft. Theres players who will go in late 2nd that probably would go in the 1st in most drafts.

Brandon carlo is a big defencman. He is 6'5 and only 17 years old. Imagine him and tryamkin in 3-5 years. Now I would like to see benning draft somone like matthew barzal in the 1st round. I know we need D prospects but we can get that in the second and carlo is a guy i can see benning keeping an eye on.

The way the Canucks have played thus far I doubt they will get close to Barzal. I expect him to be in the top 5, and at worst the Canucks will be drafting in the 10-15 range. Its early though but you no longer have Tortorella to neuter your offense and ride that to a high pick.

Benning could trade up. And Barzal is projected on most mock drafts to go around 10. I would be nice to get him and then we would have Virtanen and Barzal as hometown superstars.

Could you imagine in 4-5 years:

Shinkaruk Barzal Virtanen- if they reached potential it would be a deadly line.

Archived