The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Matt Frattin - Leafs

zverta

I have a lot of Leaf friends and so many of them raved how Frattin was going to be such a stud when the Leafs first signed him....

Lol

Well, he does have some speed and a decent shot. I thought he could have become a poor man's Kris Versteeg initially too. It's not like he's old either (only 26), and he could provide value for other teams needing bottom 6 wingers. That said, we're pretty much set in terms of wingers (Danny, Vrbata, Higgins, Burr, Kassian, Hansen, Matthias, Dorsett) and most likely won't need someone like him.

Also pretty much the same reasoning for why I'd pass on Nestrasil. If there's an offensive D-man then that would interest me as a waiver pick-up (not like it would pass lower-ranked teams needing help on defense e.g. the Flyers, Stars, Avs or Oilers).

I'd definitely pass on Frattin, but wasn't Nestrasil doing well this year? I'm surprised to see him placed on waivers, someone will probably pick him up.

He was doing well, but aside from Jurco, there are no other waiver ineligible Wings, so Nestrasil is the odd guy out. Will be shocked if he isn't claimed tbh.

I have a lot of Leaf friends and so many of them raved how Frattin was going to be such a stud when the Leafs first signed him....

Lol

I sure as hell aint a Leafs fan, but I think they had some reason to be optimitistic. He showed a very good nose for the net, and is a good 'rush' forward that suits their style of play fairly well. I was a bit surprised he didn't do much in L.A but then again, he was drowned out by quality depth there. This year he played scarce minutes with very low offensive zone starts - not surprising that he's not producing much in that context, and it may be the case that he just hasn't earned any ice time, but then again, who knows - the Leafs have a very odd concept of player deployment to say the least.

I think he'll be a good risk for someone to take - there are teams that could use a guy like him at 800k.

Archived