The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) All-star game change

Virtanen93

Now i know some people dont want to see star players injured, but would it be better if the all star game meant something? Like the MLB. I would love for it to be EAST vs WEST winning conference get home ice in SC. We thrive for the olympics because it is top players battling hard against eachother. Honestly i never liked watching the all star game because they play like it means nothing and its boring. You play 82 games a year. Whats one more?

In before someone complains this is in the wrong spot...

I too have always liked the idea of the winner of the all-star game meaning something. I use to like the idea of home ice advantage in the playoffs but then that takes away from a teams incentive to win in the regular season. Another idea could be to award more draft lottery odds to teams in the conference that wins the all-star game or award next years all-star game to a team in the previous years winning conference.

I kinda like the fun, exhibition style. I'd also prefer the all-star game have no impact at all on the SCF (unless I misunderstood your meaning?).

It's fair enough that you don't like the current All star format, but with 82 competitive games a season already plus playoffs and pre-season, I don't mind one game a year that's just about fun, and I'd imagine the players like it too.

It's ridiculous in baseball. It would be just as ridiculous in hockey.

Why allow the outcome of an exhibition game have an impact on the most important series of the year? The majority of players in the all-star game won't be in the finals and several won't even be in the playoffs. Yet you want them to have an impact on the finals? No thanks.

Now i know some people dont want to see star players injured, but would it be better if the all star game meant something? Like the MLB. I would love for it to be EAST vs WEST winning conference get home ice in SC. We thrive for the olympics because it is top players battling hard against eachother. Honestly i never liked watching the all star game because they play like it means nothing and its boring. You play 82 games a year. Whats one more?

Even if you put home ice advantage on the line, you will never match the intensity of the Olympics in an all-star game. We thrive for it because the teams represent our nations. Not just because it's the best players.

If you want more intensity, get some advertiser to put $25M on the line for the winning team to split.

For me though, I say leave it the way it is. The last thing I want to see is the intensity ramped up and then lose a top player due to an injury in what is basically a meaningless game.

I kinda like the fun, exhibition style. I'd also prefer the all-star game have no impact at all on the SCF (unless I misunderstood your meaning?).

It's fair enough that you don't like the current All star format, but with 82 competitive games a season already plus playoffs and pre-season, I don't mind one game a year that's just about fun, and I'd imagine the players like it too.

I agree. It's a fun skills competition game. Pure offense. Not to mention the players have a lot of fun doing it. It's a chance for them to play with other NHL stars they may never have the opportunity to otherwise. And with no hitting it's low risk for injuries. I really enjoy both the skills competition and the game every year. It also really makes me laugh watching the best goalies in the league getting lit up like Christmas trees when the team in front of them can't play the way the normally would. It shows just how much they really do depend on the team in front of them.

I disagree with the winning side of the ASG getting home ice for the finals. The 82 game marathon of a grueling season should be more important to determining that than a midseason exhibition game.

I would love to see the old style North America VS the world come back.

It makes sense if they are selling the game to the states because you know how Americans are with their national pride

If they were to ice the best possible team there would only be like 2 or 3 Americans on that team though. :bigblush:

I don't agree with what the MLB does at all, I think it's just stupid, but I agree that the NHL All Star Game is boring as hell. I remember back in the 90's All Star Games were very fun to watch, because the players played it like a normal game which made it exciting. I understand why it's so boring, because GM's have big investments in these star players, and to have them get injured because of a fun game would be devastating to some franchises. I don't see it changing unfortunately for a long time.

I still like the old setup more West vs East no captains no draft, but I would like to see the North America vs World again, those were some good ones.

Here's one of the parts from the All Star Game from Vancouver in 98, even the defence would block shots, your not going to see hitting, but your going to see players playing hard to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmV05xKUes

Archived