The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Johnson declares bankruptcy

Mackcanuck

NHL player files for bankruptcy after parents borrow $15 million in his name

Jack Johnson is getting paid $5 million by the Columbus Blue Jackets this year. The 27-year-old defenseman has amassed over $18 million in a nine-year career, and signed a seven-year, $30.5 million deal signed with the Los Angeles Kings back in 2011.
Johnson is filing for bankruptcy.
He owes more than $10 million in debts, has assets of less than $50,000, and according to aColumbus Dispatch report has been sued at least three times for $6 million.
The root of Johnson’s financial calamity appears to be his parents, Tina and Jack Sr.

Tina Johnson borrowed at least $15 million in her son’s name against his future earnings, sources told The Dispatch, taking out a series of high-interest loans — perhaps as many as 18 — from nonconventional lenders that resulted in a series of defaults.

Johnson’s parents allegedly each bought a car, spent more than $800,000 on upgrades to the Manhattan Beach property and traveled, often to see him play NHL games for the Kings and Blue Jackets.

Johnson has hired a new attorney, severed ties with his family, and is attempting to rebuild and find his way out of the mess created. His bankruptcy hearing is scheduled to take place in Los Angeles in late January

What a nightmare.

Yes, you invested a great deal of time and money into turning Jack into a successful NHL hockey player.

No, that does not entitle you to spend your son's money as if it were your own.

IN his defense and a brighter side as long as he stays healthy he's got a solid future and decent earnings ahead of him.

As well under state and federal law he can apply to have some of that debt erased or transferred back to his parents.

But damn...that's a lot of cash

I'd really like to see the Beach House. Sounds so cool.

I bet you the upgrades were very necessary and economically planned. I sure hope this doesn't affect Tina or Jack Sr. in anyway, they have poured their entire lives into making Jr. a success.

Really if you look at it this is really Juniors fault. If he were only better like Shea Weber and made say a modest $8 million per year after his ELC starting in 2009 he would have an extra $35.6 mil in the bank. More than enough to cover his parents modest lifestyle and still have all he needs.

I used to think my family was messed up. Now I see the big picture, and I love my family more than ever. My family has quibbles like any other.

But to do that to their kid? Messed up parents.

If I had a kid who made in to the NHL, I'd be happy enough with that. If they bought me a house, I'd say the kid was being generous, and I'd love him even more. But to leech off of him? To the tune of millions????

Yikes. When I was younger, I wondered why my Dad would say. Are you healthy? Yes. No legal problems? Yes no legal problems. Then everything will be fine. That's because my Dad took the big picture approach. He always said, don't sweat the small stuff.

Wow. They couldn't believe their luck when Jack made the NHL. When windfall goes windfail. I can't imagine keeping focused on the ice while trying to sort all that mess out. Hopefully his career stays on track, or maybe strengthens if he buckles down out of pure resolve.

Wonder what their Christmas dinner is going to be like....

You must have missed this line:

Johnson has hired a new attorney, severed ties with his family...

Christmas dinners are cancelled for the time being.

This is a prime example of a "news" story that does NOT need to be published. This has no relationship to him as a hockey player and is a complete invasion of his privacy. I would hate it if the media scumbags followed me around and reported my personal hardships when I'm down.

Edit: added quotations for news because... well

This is a prime example of a "news" story that does NOT need to be published. This has no relationship to him as a hockey player and is a complete invasion of his privacy. I would hate it if the media scumbags followed me around and reported my personal hardships when I'm down.

Edit: added quotations for news because... well

Agreed. The last thing I'd want is the whole world to know that I'm broke

How can he be responsible for money someone else borrowed? It makes no sense, doesn't he have to sign something at the very least. Can I go to the bank and get a loan on Bill Gates' future earnings? If the answer is yes everyone should meet me at the bank! We'll go for lattes after and everyone gets a new car!

Archived