The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Kellan Lain :: EDM Will Acton

Strombone1

Take this with a grain of salt but he's eerily similar to Tyler Johnson. Tyler's 5'9 175, Mitch is 5'10 175. Both played for Spokane and were teammates. Tyler Johnson's numbers throughout Junior: 35, 61, 71 and 115. Mitch's: 33, 55, 80, 118.

Unless you've seen them play.

Johnson is a plus skater and Holmberg was below average in the Dub.

I posted this in the other thread, I hate this trade a lot.

I watched him live in Binghamton last year and was blown away by his speed and foot speed in relation to his size. He has really good shot and is defensively sound.

He won't be a franchise player but he will be a solid bottom 6 forward one day.

Take this with a grain of salt but he's eerily similar to Tyler Johnson. Tyler's 5'9 175, Mitch is 5'10 175. Both played for Spokane and were teammates. Tyler Johnson's numbers throughout Junior: 35, 61, 71 and 115. Mitch's: 33, 55, 80, 118.

Tyler Johnson's rookie season in the AHL: 31G37A68P in 75GP

Mitch Holmberg in the ECHL so far: 1A in 8GP

There's that grain of salt :P

And Johnson was above PPG by his sophomore year in the AHL.

Tyler Johnson's rookie season in the AHL: 31G37A68P in 75GP

Mitch Holmberg in the ECHL so far: 1A in 8GP

There's that grain of salt :P

And Johnson was above PPG by his sophomore year in the AHL.

Like I said I just thought it was eerie how similar they are. Not saying they're anything similar in playing style/skill level. Just pointing out the obvious connection between them. Like I said in the "Mitch Holmberg Talk" thread, if Mitch can provide depth scoring in Utica, you have to be happy.

Solid. We trade away a fringe AHLer with no real reward. Get a project with no risk and possible reward and a extra forward. Like this deal. Good job Trader Jim! :)

Don't think this trade will affect us much, if at all. AHL bottom 6 for AHL bottom 6. I actually think were getting the better player though in Acton, as he seems reliable defensively and can win faceoffs, fight, hit, is also a better skater than Lain, but he's smaller. These players have similar limited skill sets, it's pretty much a wash.Lains age being a bit younger, and also quite a bit bigger and going to a weaker team might be a better chance for him. Acton leaving the Oilers probably because it was a bad situation for him with unnecessary issues related to him being the son of assistant coach Keith Acton. I can see it making it so teammates and fans wouldn't like him if they think he's being treated differently/better by the coaches. I also don't think Lain was really a fit here either, as he wasn't playing much or very well for Utica. So in the end I think its just a minor trade to give 2 players who may have felt they didn't belong on their teams a new opportunity.

This is purely an AHL trade, don't fret guys. Lain has been terrible so far this year and I think is the 4th line center over there. With Gaunce and Horvat likely to play 2C and 3C behind O'Reilly, Lain was pretty much useless and never going to crack the NHL roster anyway.

Acton will probably never see NHL duties but he's got more offensive upside than Lain who is literally the type of player we need to avoid, and the type that Anaheim are dangerously falling towards. Lots of size, no skill.

I know. :(

So it'd be great if he can help us with faceoffs. Plus, it says he's a more defensive minded center, which hopefully means he'll be a good addition to our bottom 6. Actually, I'm thinking he's a replacement for Matthias. I like some of what he does but defensively he's not good. (At -9, he currently has the worst +- on the team.)

That doesn't really mean much though. If you look at the minus forwards on the team, aside from Vey, all the other guys - Matthias, Richardson, Hansen, Kassian, Horvat..... have less than 50% offensive zone starts - Matthias 43%, Richardson 41.3%, Hansen 48, Kassian 41.4%, Dorsett 49, Horvat 33.3.

It's largely situational.

I agree this is an odd trade at best. Acton isn't good enough to stick with the Oil and his father works as an assistant coach.

Lain is a big body 2 years younger than Acton. Mac-loser must really have a thing for Lain after their stint with the Chicago Wolves.

This is purely an AHL trade, don't fret guys. Lain has been terrible so far this year and I think is the 4th line center over there. With Gaunce and Horvat likely to play 2C and 3C behind O'Reilly, Lain was pretty much useless and never going to crack the NHL roster anyway.

Acton will probably never see NHL duties but he's got more offensive upside than Lain who is literally the type of player we need to avoid, and the type that Anaheim are dangerously falling towards. Lots of size, no skill.

The trade was with Edmonton

I agree this is an odd trade at best. Acton isn't good enough to stick with the Oil and his father works as an assistant coach.

Lain is a big body 2 years younger than Acton. Mac-loser must really have a thing for Lain after their stint with the Chicago Wolves.

McTavish never coached Lain on the Wolves.

arnieL was the coach during Lains stint.

I don't mind this deal at all.

There may be the impression that Lain will be a solid bottom six 'someday' - but he's 25 years old folks - he's not a young prospect.

Acton does have a certain annoying quality about him, in a good way. He's a pain in the ass to play against type player. He's a good guy to have in your system if you get injuries to your bottom six. He's also a few years removed from the younger centers in the system, so may be helpful with them developing their two way game. One notable about Acton - he is a puck hound, A bit surprised Edmonton doesn't value that much considering how prolific they are at committing turnovers. Acton is actually capable of regaining possession.

I like the Holmberg part of the deal. I'm not going to get all excited about it, but I have seen him play enough to know that he has a strange intangible quality. He's not fast, he's not big, his game doesn't necessarily stand out much - but he's a hard worker, and you can't deny the results. Holmberg played for a very good Spokane club, but they didn't have much scoring depth by any stretch of the imagination. Aside from him (118pts) and another overager Aviani (81 pts), they had very little scoring punch up front, and a couple young defensemen (also undrafted) Gow and Fram who were ppgers. Beyond that, a severe drop off of offensive talent - so say what you want about Holmberg, but he was almost exclusively the guy to shut down on that Spokane team, and not many WHL clubs managed to do so (although the Royals did a decent job).. There's also the element that despite being an 'overager', he's yet only 20 years old, so in the scheme of things you just don't know what his eventual potential could be, particularly if he plays in a solid system with some talented forwards. A pretty good low risk addition imo - and the type of player who often gets overlooked - not very big, not skating circles around anyone - and yet there are some pretty successful NHLers who fit that description.

I don't know much about Acton but Lain has been a disappointment this season and has regressed from last year. His skating and puck handling both look worse. Dustin Jeffrey is due back soon from injury which would have forced Lain to the press box in Utica. Considering that Vancouver picked up Acton for essentially Utica's 5th center it sounds like a good trade.

Archived