The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prince Albert Raiders' new mascot causes stir

nuckin_futz

Prince Albert Raiders' new mascot causes stir

Western Hockey League team unveils Boston the Arabian raider

1297632621299_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si(Twitter)

The Prince Albert (Sask.) Raiders are becoming junior hockey’s version of the Washington Redskins.

The Western Hockey League team is being bombarded with criticism after unveiling a new mascot that critics say is offensive to people of Middle Eastern descent.

The smiling, bearded mascot is fitted with a green Arabian keffiya – headwear popular to the region.

A spokesperson for the club said the new mascot is a tribute to the team’s original logo introduced in the early 1980s.

whl--prince_albert_raiders_1992-93.gif

Old 80's Raiders logo.

Back in 1982, the team’s logo featured an Arabian raider holding a sword and a hockey stick.

"The version that we brought to life is happy, with a big smile on his face," Raiders spokesperson Amber Pratt told the Canadian Press. "He wears hockey pants and a hockey jersey. He is a positive symbol of Raider history and was loved by fans when introduced on Friday night."

The mascot’s name is Boston thanks to a sponsorship deal with Boston Pizza.

Since Boston’s unveiling, multiple organizations have come out in opposition to the mascot -- including the Canadian Arab Federation. The outcry on social media has also been immense.

The NFL's Redskins are in a similar situation.

The embattled football team’s logo -- a Native American fitted with feathers -- is widely deemed to have racist undertones.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/20/prince-albert-raiders-new-mascot-causes-stir

Seriously, how damn daft do you have to be to think this was a good idea?

The original logo was probably seen as a compliment to the Arabic people, as they were probably thought of as brave warriors during the 80's.

'Redskins' is seen by some as racist because of the word. If the NFL club had chosen something like 'Mohawks' instead it would be different.

'Boston' looks a little cheese and out of place.

Love some of the comments posted in the link..........

"Rejected mascots included Allahu Ak-bear, The Headless Infidel, and Ben Affleck."

"How could anyone of middle eastern descent be offended. The guy has TWO eyebrows. I could see offense if there was a uni-brow."

It's not racist, but some of those comments are BS especially coming from a right wing newspaper...

I actually like the mascot as it brings in an element not normally associated with hockey, Arabs.

i loved that logo growing up, and i have no problem with the mascot. Also i guarantee none of the backlash is coming from within the city.

what, exactly, do people think "raiders" are? are they going to protest raiders of the lost ark?

I don't even see any Arab from Prince Albert getting pissed at this. I see some bored white loser from Toronto or Vancouver scouring the internet for things to be offended by getting rustled jimmies and trying to find a group to control using a race card.

I don't even see any Arab from Prince Albert getting pissed at this. I see some bored white loser from Toronto or Vancouver scouring the internet for things to be offended by getting rustled jimmies and trying to find a group to control using a race card.

Good post..

Most of the time its white lefties who try to be PC all the time pulling race cards for people who don't even care..

I like because it diversifies the mascot demographic so to speak lol.. Except I remember reading somewhere some football team in the US is also called the Arabs and they have a similar looking mascot.

If the social justice warriors find this offensive, then I guess we should get rid of Johnny Canuck as well.

I find a ripped lumberjack on skates offensive to Canadians such as myself.

/end sarcasm

Honestly, can't we have a little fun anymore? This must be coming from the same idiots who want to make Santa 'race-neutral'

Pretty soon it will be politically incorrect to do, say or create anything that parodies or caricatures any group of people in any way.

If the social justice warriors find this offensive, then I guess we should get rid of Johnny Canuck as well.

I find a ripped lumberjack on skates offensive to Canadians such as myself.

/end sarcasm

Honestly, can't we have a little fun anymore? This must be coming from the same idiots who want to make Santa 'race-neutral'

Pretty soon it will be politically incorrect to do, say or create anything that parodies or caricatures any group of people in any way.[/quote

sisko-facepalm.jpg

Archived