The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Dallas Sends Dillon to Sharks

Not sure what's out there but Jason Demers traded to Dallas for Brendan Dillon. I believe Stars also get a pick from Sharks

Stars also get third-round pick in 2016 in that deal from San Jose

Jason Demers, 3rd round pick in 2016 traded to Dallas for Brenden Dillon #SJSharks

Told the #SJSharks retained 35% of Demers's salary in that Dillon trade with #stars.

Big trade for Dallas to make, thought Dillon was going to be in Dallas for a long time

The Stars continued to shake up their defense Friday, sending Brenden Dillon to San Jose for Jason Demers and a third round draft pick, according to an NHL source.

Dallas already traded Sergei Gonchar to Montreal last week and lost Kevin Connauton to Columbus on waivers this week, so this makes the third defenseman to leave in the first two months of the season.

The Stars will lose some size in Dillon (6-4, 225), but will gain some puck movement skills and the ever elusive right-hand shot. Dallas called up John Klingberg six games ago and has been pleased with the work of the right-handed defenseman, who joined a group of all lefties.

With Demers (6-1, 195) a righty, the team now has two right-handed defensemen.

“You can see with our back end, we’ve been working hard on that,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff said when asked about changes this season in the morning. “We’ve made some adjustments and we’ve brought some younger guys in. I think the puck moving, what Klingberg has added, the right-handed defenseman, I think everybody has seen the dividends. When I got involved in the Olympics, the No. 1 thing we talked about was lefty-righty, lefty-righty, because they’re under so much duress that when you’re caught in your back end, a lot of times there’s no play. So I think that part has helped.”

Demers furthers that thinking.

The 26-year-old from Dorval, Quebec, had 34 points (5 goals, 29 assists) in 75 games last season with the Sharks, playing mostly on the second power play unit. He is a puck-moving defenseman, so that should help the Stars get the puck to their speedy forwards.

Demers, 26, has struggled at times this season, as he has three assists and is minus-6 in 20 games. He’s averaging 18:11 in time on ice after averaging 19:29 last season. Dillon, 26, has also seen his numbers drop. He had 17 points (6 goals, 11 assists) in 80 games last season while averaging 21:05 and going plus-10. He has one assist in 20 games this season, while averaging 20:36 and going minus-2.

The Stars will use some of the salary cap space created when Gonchar left.

Demers has a salary cap hit of $3.4 million this season and next, while Dillon is under contract just this season for $1.25 million.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/11/stars-get-jason-demers-from-san-jose-for-brenden-dillon.html/

Since when did trade deadline get moved to this week?

Seriously though, good trade for both teams. Dallas could use some more offense from the backend and Demers will bring that. Sharks get a tough, stay at home defender and helps them. Solid deal for both teams. Both defenders are top 4 capable.

Edit: Maybe this is the first of more domino's to fall in San Jose?

What are you guys talking about bottom pairing dman, this guy isn't Sbisa.

Dhillons #'s are pretty much Chris Tanevs #'s. (I.e. Kids a top pairing dman. def a top 4 dman). SJS just robbed Dallas. Canucks should have done whatever they had to get him, they are in desperate need of a dman.

No lol. For whatever reason, people overvalue Dillon like crazy. He is just a tough physical stay at home dman.

What are you guys talking about bottom pairing dman, this guy isn't Sbisa.

Dhillons #'s are pretty much Chris Tanevs #'s. (I.e. Kids a top pairing dman. def a top 4 dman). SJS just robbed Dallas. Canucks should have done whatever they had to get him, they are in desperate need of a dman.

Demers is no slouch either. Not to mention, they also got a 3rd round pick.

Two struggling teams making a trade that helps both of them. IMO, a very good hockey trade.

With Hammer going down with a lower body injury last night, we are definitely in need of a veteran d-man. I'm thinking Montreal would be a good trade partner, especially just having added Gonchar and Allen.

Given our needs right now, if I were JB, I would call Bergevin and offer up Burrows for Tom Gilbert. I would offer to retain $1.0M of Burrows' contract. This would allow Burrows to be a cap hit of $3.5M on Habs' books (Gilbert is at $2.8M), so net is another $700K to Habs cap hit, which keeps them cap compliant.

Between Gilbert's $2.8M and $1.0M, we carry $3.8M on our books, shedding $700K off the bottom line. Gilbert's contract expires in 2 years and Burrows' three, so this can be carried without too much hardship (plus, we should have bunch of ELC's on the roster, giving us flexibility in the final year of Burrows' contract).

This works from a cap perspective and fills a need we have. We have Linden Vey who has played well with Bonino and Higgins to step in. Horvat stays.

I prefer Dillon between the two, but both are awesome defenders. Both needed a change of scenery it seemed like, as none of them had been playing to their potential for their respective teams.

The Sharks have been wanting add some more young talent, and trading for Dillon is just adding another piece to that puzzle. Dallas has needed some more help on the right side, and Demers himself is a legitimate top-4 d-man. Dillon, however, is already a top-3/4 d-man for a guy who's only 23. Other than his horrendous start to this season, he was an excellent fixture for the Stars.

These are two really good players being swapped, though Dillon does hold more value (especially in terms of long-term value). Dallas also has the opportunity to add another good young player to their system with that 3rd pick too.

Good trade for both teams!

Archived