The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 20 Overrated NHL Players

vcrguy

Crosby is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he is really good, and is the top player of his generation. He isn't #99 or #66 good though. The media just pumps his tires so hard and the NHL wants him to be better than Gretzky so they can sell merch and blow up tv deals in Canada and the States ect. But he just isn't quite as good as they make him out to be.

Who exactly has said that he is on the same level as Gretzky and Lemieux? That is not a popular opinion at all. Most of today's fans are not even old enough or haven't been fans long enough to even see Gretzky play. The league doesn't need to market Crosby as being better than Gretzky and nor have they. Crosby is going to see merchandise regardless, he is by far the best player in the league. He will be running away with the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay if he stays healthy. Imo your point is an exaggeration at best, I don't find Crosby to be overrated at all. I love Toews yet I see people comparing him to Crosby which is a silly comparison at best and I am a Hawks fan.

Who exactly has said that he is on the same level as Gretzky and Lemieux? That is not a popular opinion at all. Most of today's fans are not even old enough or haven't been fans long enough to even see Gretzky play. The league doesn't need to market Crosby as being better than Gretzky and nor have they. Crosby is going to see merchandise regardless, he is by far the best player in the league. He will be running away with the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay if he stays healthy. Imo your point is an exaggeration at best, I don't find Crosby to be overrated at all. I love Toews yet I see people comparing him to Crosby which is a silly comparison at best and I am a Hawks fan.

The league and all the media in Canada like TSN, Rogers, CBC all sell this guy like he is the greatest of all time in the making. It's the way the league wants to market him for the TV deals and to drive the popularity of the game. I'm not saying he isn't the best player in the league either, obviously he is. Just not quite as good as he is pumped up to be.

Crosby is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he is really good, and is the top player of his generation. He isn't #99 or #66 good though. The media just pumps his tires so hard and the NHL wants him to be better than Gretzky so they can sell merch and blow up tv deals in Canada and the States ect. But he just isn't quite as good as they make him out to be.

Yeah? No.

Rk Born   Name Pos GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG G/GP A/GP P/GP 
1 1961  Wayne Gretzky F 1487 894 1963 2857 577 518 204 73 91 0.601 1.320 1.921 
2 1965  Mario Lemieux F 915 690 1033 1723 834 115 236 49 74 0.754 1.129 1.883 
3 1957  Mike Bossy F 752 573 553 1126 210 381 181 8 82 0.762 0.735 1.497 
4 1987  Sidney Crosby F 569 282 513 795 473 128 85 3 35 0.496 0.902 1.397 
5 1948  Bobby Orr D 657 270 645 915 953 597 73 15 26 0.411 0.982 1.393 
6 1951  Marcel Dionne F 1348 731 1040 1771 600 28 234 19 74 0.542 0.772 1.314 
7 1956  Peter Stastny F 977 450 789 1239 824 -12 145 7 54 0.461 0.808 1.268 
8 1973  Peter Forsberg F 708 249 636 885 690 238 71 16 43 0.352 0.898 1.250 
9 1956  Kent Nilsson F 553 264 422 686 116 -20 97 16 28 0.477 0.763 1.241 
10 1942  Phil Esposito F 1282 717 873 1590 910 197 249 23 118 0.559 0.681 1.240 
11 1986  Evgeni Malkin F 537 248 407 655 550 54 93 4 40 0.462 0.758 1.220

In a time when scoring can't even be compared.

It's you who doesn't realize how good Crosby actually is…. I'm assuming because you're too young to remember those times.

If Crosby played in the 80's he'd be getting 60-70 goals and 150+ points every year when healthy.

Phaneuf has been called overrated for years now. I'm just sitting here wondering by who? I don't think I know anyone who thinks Dion is more than he is, a solid top 4 guy thrust into a number 1 role by necessity.

The #1 spot on my list is, currently, reserved for Jonathan Toews. He's a tremendous two-way player, whom I'd love to have on my team, but he has become the definition of overrated. The issues comes when these "analysts" or "experts" try comparing him to a generational superstar like Crosby or claim that he's already in the same echelon as Messier, Yzerman and Sakic. As good as Toews is, he just doesn't measure up to TRUE elite two-way forwards like Clarke, Trottier and Fedorov, who could not only play elite defense but could also battle it out at the top of the scoring race. In fact, there's really nothing that separates him from guys like Dats, Z or Kopitar, besides being Canadian (which gives him the obvious edge in the media).

He's neither the best defensive player in the league (see Bergeron) nor anywhere even remotely close to being elite offensively (the list of superior offensive talents is too long to list). People claim that he's a "winner", even though he's had the benefit of playing on some extremely stacked teams. In a situation like the Olympics, he's playing behind Crosby and Getzlaf and never had to face the other team's top checking talent.

If you want to see the definition of a truly great two-way forward(s), you need only look back at prime Datsyuk or Zetterberg. These were guys who could put up 90-100 points and play a top-level defensive game. Toews doesn't compare very favourably with those two and he certainly doesn't come even close to Crosby.

Love the guy but his press has become too much.

The #1 spot on my list is, currently, reserved for Jonathan Toews. He's a tremendous two-way player, whom I'd love to have on my team, but he has become the definition of overrated. The issues comes when these "analysts" or "experts" try comparing him to a generational superstar like Crosby or claim that he's already in the same echelon as Messier, Yzerman and Sakic. As good as Toews is, he just doesn't measure up to TRUE elite two-way forward like Clarke, Trottier and Fedorov, who could not only play elite defense but could also battle it out at the top of the scoring race. In fact, there's really nothing that separates him from guys like Dats, Z or Kopitar, besides being Canadian (which gives him the obvious edge in the media). He's neither the best defensive player in the league (see Bergeron) nor anywhere even remotely close to being elite offensively (the list of superior offensive talents is too long to list). People claim that he's a "winner", even though he's had the benefit of playing on some extremely stacked teams. In a situation like the Olympics, he's playing behind Crosby and Getzlaf and never had to face the other team's top checking talent.

If you want to see the definition of a truly great two-way forward(s), you need only look back at prime Datsyuk or Zetterberg. These were guys who could put up 90-100 points and play a top-level defensive game. Toews doesn't compare very favourably with those two and he certainly doesn't even come close to Crosby. Love the guy but his press has become too much.

Toews at 10 million plus is a joke, IMO.

The guy is a tremendous athlete, yes, but you shouldn't pay over 7 million dollars for a guy who has never been a point per game player in his entire career.

He has excellent leadership and 'intangibles', but is that worth 3 million dollars against the cap? I don't believe so.

Eberle is #1 for me.

Half of those players are just guys with crapty contracts

Lots of fans still praising Eberle's world junior's performance.

He's as one dimensional as Phil and Kane yet gets none of the flak that those two do because he's a good Canadian kid.

Great player? Yes.

Elite clutch performer? No.

The most overrated players are defensemen, namely Karlsson and Subban.

Even the Professional Hockey Writers' Association seems to be full of idiots.

Somehow Erik Karlsson and PK Subban have Norris trophies while Drew Doughty and Shea Weber do not.

It's ironic because unlike Karlsson and Subban, Doughty and Weber can actually play defense.

Not that they can't also put up the points. Weber has always been great on the PP and both Doughty and Weber dominated the last Olympics.

My advice to the next group of Norris voters: Stay up late. Watch the West. See some actual defense, you morons.

Absolutely Sidney Crosby. Not sure why people think he's Gretzky-like when he is not even close to being as dominant as Gretzky (or Lemieux) was in their prime. I mean Gretz scored almost twice as many points as the number two guy for a few years. I mean Crosby is behind Voracek and Seguin in scoring right now... wtf? And it's not like he's this defensive ace to make up for his lack of offensive domination. Insert his concussion problems, just one cup (due largely to Malkin), ugliness, and robotic personality that is pretty unmarketable comparatively, and you have easily the most overrated player of this generation. He's not Gretzky. And he never will be.

The #1 spot on my list is, currently, reserved for Jonathan Toews. He's a tremendous two-way player, whom I'd love to have on my team, but he has become the definition of overrated. The issues comes when these "analysts" or "experts" try comparing him to a generational superstar like Crosby or claim that he's already in the same echelon as Messier, Yzerman and Sakic. As good as Toews is, he just doesn't measure up to TRUE elite two-way forwards like Clarke, Trottier and Fedorov, who could not only play elite defense but could also battle it out at the top of the scoring race. In fact, there's really nothing that separates him from guys like Dats, Z or Kopitar, besides being Canadian (which gives him the obvious edge in the media).

He's neither the best defensive player in the league (see Bergeron) nor anywhere even remotely close to being elite offensively (the list of superior offensive talents is too long to list). People claim that he's a "winner", even though he's had the benefit of playing on some extremely stacked teams. In a situation like the Olympics, he's playing behind Crosby and Getzlaf and never had to face the other team's top checking talent.

If you want to see the definition of a truly great two-way forward(s), you need only look back at prime Datsyuk or Zetterberg. These were guys who could put up 90-100 points and play a top-level defensive game. Toews doesn't compare very favourably with those two and he certainly doesn't come even close to Crosby.

Love the guy but his press has become too much.

Sigh... if someone has to defend Toews as much as I dislike the Hawks...

Bergeron is better than Toews defensively? On the Bruins which are known for having the best defensive lines in the NHL? Which have goalies that are considerably better than Crawford? Is Bergeron really better than Toews? Or does it look like that because the Bruins have better defense and goal tending?

Offensively, no he's not as good as Crosby... only Stamkos is as good as Crosby offensively. Toews is also the better leader, better defensively than both of these players, and doesn't get shutdown in the playoffs like Crosby.

Toews plays for a stacked team? Getzlaf plays on an offensive powerhouse and Kopitar plays for LA. 95% of elite players play on elite teams... coincidence?

Zetterberg is amazing, and Datsyuk is my all time favorite player. With that said they had Lidstrom on their team. Yes, Lidstrom alone made Detroit elite. With that logic you could also say Z and Dat's stats were padded when they had arguably the defensemen in the last 20 years. There is no one on the Hawk's defense that even compares to Lidstrom.

I've said this a hundred times to my friends and i'll say it a thousand times if I have to. Don't. Compare. Legends. With. Today's. Players. It's a completely different game. Gretzky was the best player. In his time. You can ratio stats but unless he actually plays in today's NHL then no one really knows. Saying a player was elite in the 1960s or 1980s or whenever doesn't mean they'll be elite if they had played now.

The reason Toews gets compared to top superstars is because he can do everything, not necessarily meaning he's better in 1 aspect than the rest. Is he better than Crosby and Stamkos? No but its close enough to say he's not overrated at all. Also I'd take Toews over Crosby in the playoffs. Stamkos doesn't have enough of a playoff pedigree to say anything.

Phew... back to hating the Hawks now.

Lots of fans still praising Eberle's world junior's performance.

He's as one dimensional as Phil and Kane yet gets none of the flak that those two do because he's a good Canadian kid.

Great player? Yes.

Elite clutch performer? No.

Phil and Kane know how to play a team game, and then know when they need to take over.

Eberle takes the puck himself every time.

Eberle sucks.

Archived