The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hank Aaron On Obama Critics: ‘Back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts’

freebuddy

Hank Aaron On Obama Critics: Back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts

by Samuel Warde

Speaking on the 40th anniversary of his record breaking home run, Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron spoke to USA Today about race relations in America.

Aaron told the paper that the country still has a long way to go when it comes to race relations and went on to compare critics of President Obama to the KKK.

We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics. Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way hes treated.

We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country.

The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.

Aaron went on to speak of keeping up with issues such as the lack of black CEOs running large corporation and speaks of reading about the Trayvon Martin case. He goes on to say that baseball is going backwards when it comes to black players:

When I first started playing, you had a lot of black players in the major leagues. Now, you dont have any (7.7% of big-leaguers last season). So what progress have we made? You try to understand, but were going backward.

http://samuel-warde.com/2014/04/hank-aaron-obama-critics/

California man blames Obama after running over, killing black man with his pickup

TRAVIS GETTYS

10 NOV 2014 AT 13:46 ET

A California man claims he was defending himself last year when he ran over black man, killing him, following an altercation outside McDonalds.

Joseph Paul Leonard Jr. burned rubber for 23 feet before crashing into 34-year-old Toussaint Harrison during the June 6, 2013, incident, reported the Sacramento Bee.

Leonard, now 62, got out of his pickup and kicked Harrison several times in the head with his steel-toed work boots, authorities said.

Just because we got Obama for a president, these people think they are real special, Leonard said after his arrest.

He had been arguing with two men about 6 a.m. outside a Sacramento-area fast food restaurant, where prosecutors said Harrison and Justin Oliphant had been handing out food to homeless people.

Defense attorneys claim the men had stolen the food from a nearby hotel.

One of Leonards friends said the pair approached her outside McDonalds, and she said he went crazy and lost his temper when he came outside.

Leonard grabbed a chain from his pickup and confronted the men, the friend said, and surveillance video shows him swinging it around like a lasso over his head.

Oliphant said Leonard used racial slurs during the confrontation and stomped on Harrisons bicycle.

One of the men threw a knife and broken bottle at Leonard, investigators said, who suffered a cut on his cheek.

The men fled on foot, and Leonard tried to run over Oliphant and rammed into Harrison outside a nearby auto repair shop.

An employee grabbed a metal bar from the shop and told Leonard to sit down and wait for police to arrive, and he did.

Leonard was quickly taken into custody, and he tried to justify his actions to sheriffs deputies.

This could have happened to your son if you had one out there, Leonard said. This got too out of hand for me, man.

He claimed he feared for his life after one of the men cut him, although Leonard concedes he became the aggressor.

I think people are getting tired of being abused by the situation, the way people are being, he said. I myself am tired of it. I am victimized every time I turn around.

Leonard intends to testify during the trial, which resumes Nov. 17.

His attorney said Leonard plans to explain to jurors that he has previously been seriously injured but no one was prosecuted.

But prosecutors say Leonard has previously been a violent aggressor, although defense attorneys have asked a judge to exclude evidence from those cases.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/california-man-blames-obama-after-running-over-killing-black-man-with-his-pickup/

I'm tired of race being used to shut down any legitimate debate about President Obama's policies.

Certainly, there are many people out there who do feel uneasy about the thought of a black president. Aaron is right that racism still exists though it is more veiled now. Attempts to portray Obama is a muslim or born in Nigeria likely came from people that only feel comfortable with white, protestant people. (Despite the fact that Obama is half white and protestant). However that does not mean that legitimate questions can't be raised about his leadership. One only needs to look the polls that a wide variety of Americans no longer support President Obama.

You really can't blame them. Obama came in promising hope and change, a return to the freedom and prosperity that America is known for. Instead we see that Obama is still in bed with the corporations, still wants war, still wants to spy on his citizens, still doesn't care about civil rights, still lies, etc. We've seen some improvements in some areas, however, not the change in culture that Obama promised. Whether that's due to him gradually shifting to a more neoconservative ideology or him being too weak to stand up to the Republicans, I think the public is realizing that Obama is just another politician and that the Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin.

I'm tired of race being used to shut down any legitimate debate about President Obama's policies.

Certainly, there are many people out there who do feel uneasy about the thought of a black president. Aaron is right that racism still exists though it is more veiled now. Attempts to portray Obama is a muslim or born in Nigeria likely came from people that only feel comfortable with white, protestant people. (Despite the fact that Obama is half white and protestant). However that does not mean that legitimate questions can't be raised about his leadership. One only needs to look the polls that a wide variety of Americans no longer support President Obama.

You really can't blame them. Obama came in promising hope and change, a return to the freedom and prosperity that America is known for. Instead we see that Obama is still in bed with the corporations, still wants war, still wants to spy on his citizens, still doesn't care about civil rights, still lies, etc. We've seen some improvements in some areas, however, not the change in culture that Obama promised. Whether that's due to him gradually shifting to a more neoconservative ideology or him being too weak to stand up to the Republicans, I think the public is realizing that Obama is just another politician and that the Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin.

Your last statement rings true. It's the unfortunate reality of their Political system. I don't think Obama shifted to a more neo-con ideology, I think he was already there. The Dems are protectionists, more so than the Repubs, and the USA "Left" wingers in the mainstream political arena are still further right than our PM.

There is no US President that can escape the mandate of the groups who have the real power..the people who pay for the policy, the lobbyists and the Directors of Holding Companies that own the Oligopolies in a specific industry with a veiled Monopoly hidden in Subsidiaries. Anyone who thinks Obama COULD HAVE made changes is diluted in their beliefs that the US President has the power to do so. There is no way any US President (even Bush 1) wanted the NSA to dig as deep as they did. Obama, like others before him, want to believe they can make the changes...but alas they cannot. The problem is the Hydra has too many heads, and it is too late to stop the lobbyists controlling Washington and the Military Industrial Complex that is now controlling the Security of their nation along with their Police. I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. I hope Hilary gets the next nod.

I'd go even further say that U.S. Presidents for at least the last 100 years, are nothing more than middle managers, and the only one who really tried to buck the trend found it a real headache.

I'd go further to say that US Presidents since the Federal Reserve are nothing more than puppets and faces for the masses to magnetize or polarize towards. You know, someone to smile and wave at the cameras.

I also heard the last one who tried to buck the trend ended-up with some bad neck problems even before he developed his headache.

*winwink*

thewink.jpg

Incoming Nevada House speaker: Simple minded darkies show lack of gratitude to whites

Scott Kaufman

20 NOV 2014 AT 13:42 ET

Nevadas next House speaker is likely to be the most controversial in the states history, the Reno News Review reports.

According to the paper which investigated 13 years worth of columns Ira Hansen wrote for the Sparks Tribune the incoming Speaker of the House has the potential to be the most controversial in the states history given his print record of disliking blacks, gays, the state of Israel, most Nevadans, and even his Republican colleagues.

For example, he wrote that he composes his columns beneath a Confederate flag, in honor and in memory of a great cause and my brave ancestors who fought for that cause. Hansen devoted columns published around the federal holiday honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. to attacking the civil rights leader, writing that Kings private life was trashy at bestKing Jr. is as low as it gets, a hypocrite, a liar, a phony, and a fraud.

He also referred to public schools as a form of educational slavery, writing that [t]he Democratic coalition would split asunder if the NAACP & co. actually promoted what black Americans truly desire educational choice. The shrewd and calculating [black] leaders are willing to sacrifice the children of their own race to gratify their lust for power and position. The relationship of Negroes and Democrats is truly a master-slave relationship, with the benevolent master knowing whats best for his simple minded darkies.

Hansen registered further displeasure with the simple minded darkies more directly, too, noting that [t]he lack of gratitude and the deliberate ignoring of white history in relation to eliminating slavery is a disgrace that Negro leaders should own up to.

His thoughts on homosexuality and feminism are equally regressive. For years, he wrote, he kept a rough tally on homosexual/heterosexual molesters as reported locally, and found that roughly half of all molestations involve homosexual men preying on boys, citing as further evidence the existence of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) and the Catholic church molestation scandals as evidence of gay male depravity.

As for women, he wrote that their proclivity for filing sexual harassment suits made them unfit to serve their country, claiming that [t]oday, when Army men look at women in the ranks with longing in their eyes it very well may constitute sexual harassment. The truth is, women do not belong in the Army or Navy or Marine Corps, except in certain limited fields.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/incoming-nevada-house-speaker-simple-minded-darkies-show-lack-of-gratitude-to-whites/

Virginia couple protests immigration reform with Nazi flag: Obama usurped his oath of office

TRAVIS GETTYS

25 NOV 2014 AT 09:14 ET

A Virginia man upset his neighbors by protesting the presidents speech on immigration reform by flying a Nazi flag outside his home.

Im so proud of my 13-year-old son, said Sherene Silverberg, who is Jewish. The minute he saw the flag, he went marching up those stairs banged on the door, didnt even bother with the doorbell and confronted the man.

The homeowner told WVEC-TV that the flag was set up to protest President Barack Obamas executive action on immigration reform.

He declined to speak on camera without a written agreement to view the report before it aired, but the station said it does not accommodate such requests.

Another neighbor, Beth Brooker, recorded a conversation she had with a woman who helped the Ghent man remove the Nazi flag.

You have every right to fly that flag, you do, said Brooker in the video posted to Facebook. But I also think you need to understand how offensive it is.

The woman insisted the flag was simply a political expression.

Its offensive when one person tried to change the rule of law on his own and thats what this states, the woman said.

The man spoke off-camera to WTKR-TV, saying he intended to shock and offend his neighbors with the Nazi flag the same way he is offended by bumper stickers supporting the president or his policies.

I am not a Nazi, I am half-Jewish, said Dr. William Wheeler. I hung the flag after watching President Obama (Thursday) night. Obama usurped his oath of office. I wanted people to be shocked, because I am offended.

Brooker, who said Wheeler and the woman hurled insults at her when she confronted them over the flag, said her neighbors just dont get it.

Its amazing how somebody can have so much hate in them and feel its okay to express themselves, Brooker said. Granted, theres freedom of speech. He can do and say whatever he wants to, but I think you need to have some respect for people in this country and that flag represents nothing but hate.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/virginia-couple-protests-immigration-reform-with-nazi-flag-obama-usurped-his-oath-of-office/

Republican staffer says Obama daughters are disrespectful and dress like bar sluts

David Ferguson

29 NOV 2014 AT 12:32 ET

A staffer for Republican Rep. Stephen Fincher (TN) took to Facebook this week to attack Sasha and Malia Obama, President Barack Obama’s daughters, for failing to show what she deemed to be sufficient respect for their father’s annual pardoning of a Thanksgiving turkey.

According to Gawker, Elizabeth Lauten, former new media political director for the Republican National Committee, wrote an open letter to the two girls, attacking their facial expressions and clothing choices.

“Dear Sasha and Malia,” wrote Lauten, “I get that you’re both in those awful teen years, but you’re part of the First Family, try showing a little class. At least respect the part that you play. Then again your mother and father don’t respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter, so I’m guessing you’re coming up a little short in the ‘good role model’ department.”

She continued, “Nevertheless, stretch yourself, rise to the occasion. Act like being in the White House matters to you. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar. And certainly don’t make faces during televised, public events.”

For the pardoning ceremony, elder daughter Malia wore a long-sleeved sweater, a plaid schoolgirl skirt and opaque tights. Sasha Obama wore a mini-dress that hit her at mid-thigh with a long-sleeved cardigan sweater.

Both girls rolled their eyes when their father made a joke, as teen girls typically do when their father says something he thinks is funny.

Gawker’s Hudson Hondo wrote, “For most people, Sasha and Malia Obama’s spiritless appearance at this year’s White House turkey pardon was a lesson about humility, showing how even the world’s most powerful man is still just ‘ugh, Dad’ to his teenage daughters.”

Blogger Yesha Callahan at The Root published a screen shot of Lauten’s post, which set off an angry backlash on social media and political blogs.

Lauten published an apology for the post on Friday, saying that after “many hours of prayer,” she now regrets attacking the girls. However, she has since deleted it.

Gawker’s Hongo said, “As some noted, the comments seemed particularly ironic given the numerous alcohol-related charges racked up by Bush’s daughters during the last Republican presidency.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/republican-staffer-says-obama-daughters-are-disrespectful-and-dress-like-bar-sluts/

Your last statement rings true.

No, it doesn't. Same thing both sides is provably false and just as stupid as rose coloured glasses.

Republicans do not support raising taxes on the wealthy, nor raising the minimum wage, nor universal health care in any form, nor the repeal of DADT, nor gay marriage, etc. etc. etc. There are massive differences between the parties.

Ted Nugent furious about made-up claim that Obama named Al Sharpton race czar

TRAVIS GETTYS

04 DEC 2014 AT 14:32 ET

Ted Nugent apparently thinks President Barack Obama has named the Rev. Al Sharpton as his race czar, and hes really, really angry about it.

Constantly catching our breath following one blow to the guts after another has become the new American mantra, but nothing could have prepared us for the presidents recent appointment of what may very well be the worst racist in the world today his Reverend Al not so Sharpton, Nugent says in a column published Thursday on World Net Daily. Are you kidding me? This guy as some kind of race relations czar? Seriously?

Well, no. Thats not a serious claim.

The former rocker and current conservative firebrand has been referring to Sharpton as Obamas racist czar since the president appointed an Ebola czar in October, which some critics saw as a nod toward communism.

Conservatives were outraged last month when Obama included Sharpton at a series of meetings with law enforcement officials and community activists following the grand jury announcement in the fatal police shooting of Michael Brown.

However, its not entirely clear what recent appointment Nugent is referring to in his column.

Al Gore is the expert on global warming, Michael make stuff up as you go along Moore will film the documentary, and I will edit the Lawrence Welk box set as soon as I hone up on my harpsichord jams, Nugent continues. You cant make this stuff up.

Conservative bloggers and message board commenters have speculated, joked, and warned for years that Obama might create a race czar position, but he so far has not actually done so and there do not appear to be any such recent claims posted on satirical news sites that are designed to look legitimate.

Nugent, who has referred to the president as a subhuman mongrel, claims that race relations in 2008 were the best they had been in 50 years, while this year they had sunk to the worst they have been in my lifetime.

In the world of the racist race-baiting industry, no one will ever let facts get in the way of their scam, Nugent writes.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/ted-nugent-furious-about-made-up-claim-that-obama-named-al-sharpton-race-czar/

Archived