The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Alexandre Mallet + Pick :: NYI Andrey Pedan

Strombone1

It doesn't frighten you that HE was the pick to be banished to the ECHL off an AHL roster? Bridgeport does have depth, but dang... a 3rd rounder is not chump change.

It kind of is, when you look at all the third rounders picked who never make the NHL. Yes, there are exceptions, but predicting who those exceptions will be is too difficult to make a third round pick become particularly valuable.

Thanks for the insight minister, do you think he had the ability to develop his offensive game at all, or is he strickly limited to his tough guy with a hard clapper role?

I think upside you're probably looking at a Boychuk/Orpik type. Downside is probably closer to a SOB/Engelland type. I think he's much more likely to be near the former rather than the latter.

D-men, and big guys at that, are slow to develop. I wouldn't expect him to reach his ceiling until he's about 27-28 so there's lots of time.

No he wasn't. He was injured during World Junior tryouts, and wasn't able to participate.

Thanks bud,

Still like the idea of a potential Tryamkin Pedan pairing. Pedan can help Tryamkin acclimate to the NA game a lot easier than an NA born and raised player

Islanders have a lot of depth on defense. That's why he was in the ECHL for awhile, and, I believe he was recovering from an injury, so it may have been as much for conditioning.

Really like this pickup. Benning has shown that he's awesome at identifying talent.

Mallet was just balancing the contracts out. Needed to send a contract out to take one in.

Not at all. It was an age thing and they needed the spot while they figured out their rosters at the NHL and AHL level.

Who else do you send down to the E? Donovan? nope. Mayfield? nope. Pulock? nope. Ness? nope. Reinhart? nope.

At least they knew if some goon in the E wanted to take a run at him to maker a name for himself that Pedan could handle himself.

It's a nothing concern. This guy is worth a 3rd, no doubt in my mind.

Ok, thanks.

Its not that I am against the trade... I just hate shooting picks around like crazy.

And as with all players, this player's character & professionalism could be the key factors that make this an exciting deal.. or not. Lest we forget some of the issues revolving around players like... Radulov, Kovalchuk, Varlamov, Voyonov, & others.

I'm hoping that he has been well-acclimated to the North American game, society, life-styling, & pro-discipline. But, the Islanders were also the folks who drafted Josh Ho-Sang - so how much do characteristics like 'unselfishness' really matter to these guys?

Worth the risk, I suppose. Trust in JB & Travis Green.

Any actual facts about Pedan's character besides your ethnocentric bias?

Information on Andrey Pedan from Hockey's Future.

Hometown: Moscow, Russia

Team: Vancouver Canucks

Birthday: 1993-07-03

Position: D

Shoots: Left

Drafted: 2011

Height: 6-4

Weight: 201 lbs.

Talent Analysis:

Slowed by an "upper body injury" in his first pro season, Pedan is a tall defenseman who skates well and relishes the physical side of the game. He possesses considerable technical and offensive skills but it is his combativeness that attracted the attention of scouts. Pedan can handle himself when challenged and is positionally sound in his own end.

Future:

Pedan is in his second pro season in 2014-15 — beginning the year with the ECHL's Stockton Thunder before being re-called by Islanders AHL affiliate Bridgeport in October 2014. With three high profile 20-year-olds making their pro debuts with the Sound Tigers this season, Pedan faces a challenge in trying to see regular ice time. To-date, he has mostly been a heavyweight enforcer with Bridgeport. Long-term it remains to be seen how much upside there is to Pedan's game.

Stats:

Andrey Pedan
Defense
Born Jul 3 1993  -- Moscow, Russia 
Height 6.04 -- Weight 211 -- Shoots L

Selected by New York Islanders round 3 #63 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010-11  Guelph Storm                OHL    51    2   10   12   89   6   0   8   8   8
2011-12  Guelph Storm                OHL    63   10   30   40  152   6   1   3   4  14
2012-13  Guelph Storm                OHL    60   14   30   44  145   5   3   1   4  16
2012-13  Bridgeport Sound Tigers     AHL     8    0    2    2    7  --  --  --  --  --
2013-14  Bridgeport Sound Tigers     AHL    28    5    5   10   43  --  --  --  --  --
2013-14  Stockton Thunder            ECHL    5    0    0    0    6   2   0   0   0   0
2014-15  Stockton Thunder*           ECHL    2    0    1    1    2
2014-15  Bridgeport Sound Tigers     AHL     6    0    3    3   51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51 PIM's in 6 games??

He's got upside but 3rd is pretty steep for a guy who can hardly hold down an AHL spot

A lot of posters, namely Deniro, have addressed this very point a few times already. It's getting really repetitive. You should've read the thread first before making a unoriginal, opinionated statement like this.

I was never a fan of the Mallet pick. That was just an awful 2nd round pick. He was an overager in the QMJHL (a league with tons of offense) with inflated stats. He was NOT worth a 2nd.

For all the things that Gillis has done, that year was one of the worst.

He's got upside but 3rd is pretty steep for a guy who can hardly hold down an AHL spot

A 3rd round pick is not that steep really. Considering the odds are that 3rd round pick would likely turn into a similar player, or worse.

He spent 2 games in the ECHL, not sure how that's barely holding an AHL spot.

The guy has 51 PIMs in 6 games this seasons...That's an average of 8.5 penalty minutes per game. This guy is a nasty piece of business, and something the Canucks have lacked in their system.

Archived