The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Alexandre Mallet + Pick :: NYI Andrey Pedan

Strombone1

You mean, Derek Dorsett the established NHL player/pest? Um... no, that was a good bet. I am not 100% against this trade either... I just don't jump on the friggin Jim Benning train at first sign of any move.

Like you, I questioned the 3rd round pick for Dorsett. He seemed to be a plug for CBJ for years after they rushed his development unnecessarily, like all of the other players they had. Every single one of them. Look at his first year in the NHL. Why did CBJ leave him on the roster?

Dorsett has vastly exceeded my expectations and it was clear that my viewpoint on him was not very well-informed. He's a good character guy, good teammate, tough, good PKer. A 3rd round pick WAS justified for him.

Minor deal, but seems like a bad one to me.

Great post. Full of insight. 10/10. Would you elaborate on that?

Love how people just ignore the discussion in this thread and feel the urge to post their own opinions on a thread in which they know nothing about.

This is the same organization that didn't think Niederreiter was good enough for the NHL.

What they thought of Pedan doesn't necessarily reflect his actual value.

I trust that Benning sees something in him to be willing to trade a 3rd.

It's funny how much confidence Benning has earned from the fans. With his successful scouting background and the early success we've seen from his deals with this franchise, it's hard not to feel optimistic of any deal you see happen. From my perspective, because he's proved to have such a good hockey mind, I've just taken to assuming I'm wrong and that he sees something that I don't when he makes a deal that I question.

Alternatively, late in Gillis' career, it seemed like if he made any deal that looked to be suspect, my suspicions would eventually be confirmed and it made me super pessimistic.

Well not the fleecing I'm used to from the Islanders side, but still a good move. Not a lot of room for him with the Isles and he had good numbers for a young physical shutdown guy in the AHL last year. Adding depth that we need filling holes that we had.

Wouldn't have given up the third 2016 plus Mallet in a perfect world, but it definitely fast tracks a D man to play in the NHL in the next couple years as opposed to 4 or 5

Just so people get an actual idea of how tough this guy is, here are two of his fights.

One is against Dylan McIlrath, who everyone knows is a legit tough guy. One of the toughest players from the WHL for sure. Pedan handles him fairly easily.

Second one is against Anthony Camara, one of the toughest players to come out of the OHL, and the Bruins future tough guy.

For people who enjoy fighting in hockey, I think you'll enjoy this guy quite a bit.

Great post. Full of insight. 10/10. Would you elaborate on that?

Love how people just ignore the discussion in this thread and feel the urge to post their own opinions on a thread in which they know nothing about.

I bet you he says but mallet has 11 points in the echl next. I don't mind this trade we got more D-man and we need D-man to develop. This Russian will be a 5-6 pairing that is apparent. also can they sign jordan subban already !

The only thing I don't like about this trade is the fact that we basically wasted that 2nd round pick on Mallett.

Pedan is definitely an intriguing pickup. Plenty nasty and has put up some respectable offensive numbers in every league he has played in.

The fact that we wasted a 2nd round pick has nothing to do with the trade though. The pick was wasted regardless.

Mallet had zero value in the trade, he was simply included in order to free up a contract for Pedan.

Mallet was a Gillis waste of a pick for Vancouver (particularly for the 2nd round; Damon Severson picked 3 spots ahead!!! <_<:picard: ) for an overager.

Can't go wrong with defensive depth however the extra 3rd rounder for 2016 is a bit much for a prospect...

If we picked up Methot from Ottawa, we'd have some big d...

Tryamkin

Pedan

Methot

Bieksa

Sbisa (pizza deliverer)

Edler (big not tough)

Stanton

forget Methot, we should trade for Prout.

Miller will never worry about people crashing his crease ever again lol :P

Lots of PIMs isn't always a good thing. From what I gather he takes a ton of ill advised penalties. Hopefully the coaches in Utica can bring out the best in him and play a bit more disciplined

I like the trade, don't get me wrong, I just feel a 3rd is a lot, especially given that Snow would have likely been happy to get any asset for him as he's so far down the depth chart with little hope of ever moving up.

I'm aware of the chance of a 3rd ever becoming a NHL player. 3rd round picks are usually used to acquire roster players e.g. Dorsett. We got a skilled young C in Vey for a 2nd

See, this post is much more helpful in a discussion. You're adding new factors that haven't been addressed.

High PIMs - I'm not a fan of this either. He could be "undisciplined". PIMs might look good on a stat sheet, but in a game, you're taking yourself out. It doesn't necessarily mean "toughness". Dorsett's doing well with providing that without the unnecessary PIMs.

And great point on the 3rd. Snow might possibly be happy with ANYTHING for someone so "low" on the depth chart (defense is one of their stronger points).

It's like Gillis' trade of a Grabner + 1st for 4.25 M Ballard. Regardless of how this trade ended up, 4.25 M for Ballard was already overpaid, given his previous numbers (he had a 30pt season, but paired with Bouwmeester, I believe). A 1st or Grabner, who was already a budding forward with good AHL stats could've done the trick, but not BOTH.

Tallon got rid of a 4.25 M underachieving contract (which helps the owners greatly) for two very cheap products. Although he let Grabner slide (who ended up having a 30+ goal season that year), he picked up a very good pick in Quinton Howden.

like it we in effect pushing up the timeline to get younger help faster,we didn't have any open spots for Mallet but may have something for Pedan early next year with these injuries to our backend.(esp if we find ourselves in a race up against our bigger teams in our division)

I was hoping that Mallet could be a Ryan Johnson-like player. Perhaps even an energy player who can take draws if the centre gets kicked out.

Sucks that basically this ended up like a 2nd + 3rd for a project prospect, but oh well.

With lots of moves by Benning, I hope that this isn't just some negative view of Gillis pickups.

Has anyone else noticed an attitude shift on this team. Not just the positive play, but the fact that other teams aren't trying to push them around as much as they used to.

Bieksa starting that game against Anaheim is a key point. He picks a fight with Maroon. It makes the statement that we will play this game any way you choose.

Dorsett beaking off with Getzlaf and challenging him. Would Getzlaf kill him, yes. Would Dorsett back down, no.

I like the transition to team toughness, not goonery, but team toughness. And we need some toughness on the back end. If he can make that first pass, skate and play a tough team game. I like the trade and I trust this management teams player analysis, finally. Not that they won't make mistakes, but I finally feel they have a vision of what they want and the ability to recognize talent and character.

I am 100% not as familiar as you are with this pick up and 100% going off the stat sheet on this one, but if he's near NHL ready now, how come he began the season in the ECHL and then was scratched for more than half the games this season once he was back in the AHL? I know they have big name guys like Reinhart and Pulock, but if he's near NHL ready, I would think that this guy would still be holding a roster spot down from day 1.

Again, definitely not as familiar with this player as you are, so maybe you can help me understand.

Damn Bo got fed fists in that one. Wonder what prompted Bo to drop his gloves first against a guy who is clearly bigger, stronger and more experienced in fighting than he is.

Well it would also depend on the 2016 3rd round pick that we gave up.

Yeah that PIM is crazy.

Physically he's a man so he's ready in that regard. His game is unpolished as a defender but he could play a role as a punishing depth player soon. In fact, I'd say VERY soon. His shot is NHL caliber. His foot speed is up to snuff. He needs to learn how to think the game more quickly but that can happen quickly with the correct coaching and a decent amount of reps.

As far as being scratched I can't comment. There could be a lot if factors to consider there. The depth of the Tigers would certainly play into it and it's possible that they were looking to develop other players with a particular skill set first as they had Ness already in the lineup.

Ultimately, there isn't an issue with needing him to mature physically. That alone, as strictly depth toughness, puts him near a callup look within a calendar year. If he can make strides defending and in his decision making it could be sooner. Either way, even if he takes another two seasons to cement a job, he's a solid bet to be a role player at least.

I was hoping that Mallet could be a Ryan Johnson-like player. Perhaps even an energy player who can take draws if the centre gets kicked out.

Sucks that basically this ended up like a 2nd + 3rd for a project prospect, but oh well.

With lots of moves by Benning, I hope that this isn't just some negative view of Gillis pickups.

I don't see it that way.

Mallet doesn't have the value of a 2nd rounder. He didn't even have it at the time he was drafted, so the pick was immediately a bad one.

Eliminate the idea that Mallet was a 2nd rounder. He's a wasted pick not unlike Sauve or Rodin. The fact that he was included in this trade is irrelevant. He wasn't going to be re-signed anyways.

This was a future 3rd round pick traded for a developed 3rd round pick. All Benning did was accelerate the time it takes to see results. He sees the gap between our vets and our NHL ready prospects and is trying to fill a void.

Archived