The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Martin Brodeur with Blues

I was a huge brodeur fan growing up.. wrote him fan letters and received autographed cards in the mail from him. But his time has passed. He is chasing 700 wins which I think is kind of selfish, and/or he just wants another million in the bank. Either way he is not playing for the right reason.

But I am happy to hopefully get to see him play again

why should he retire if he feels he can still play why not

His game has deteriorated a lot, as much as he and others may not want to admit that. He is no longer starting calibre on anything but a terrible team like Edmonton and even then that is questionable. As a backup sure that would help a team but as a starter he is not going to be a difference maker for a contender.

Jagr and Brodeur are completely different animals.

Jagr is outperforming his peers at his age, whereas Brodeur has been average the last couple seasons.

Brodeur will most likely be ok on a team with good defense and goal support like St. Louis.

Let's just not confuse past accomplishments with current abilities.

Both of them will be in the HOF, but Jagr looks like he has more 'tread on the tires' as it were.

LOL WHAT???

Well, maybe not that extreme, but he screwed the Devils over last season. Cory Schneider was the vastly superior goalie, but Brodeur used his franchise star status to start more games, which led to more losses. When the inferior goaltender gets the start just because he has seniority, he is not being a team player.

Brodeur has been horrible the past couple years, won't be an exception here IMO.

Yea not much will come of this, I would be surprised to see him get a contract. At 42, he's no longer able to play his hybrid style effectively. He makes easy saves look difficult now and leaves a lot of holes exposed.

He's already won everything a hockey goalie can win. He will be in the hall of fame. He should just retire. I hate it when guys hang in there for so long. There's no need. I think that Cup run a couple years back kinda made him think he's still good enough to play. I just don't know if the the current NHL needs an old school stand up goalie even though he's adjusted his style a bit over the years.

I agree with you that he should retire.

There's an old quote from Voltaire saying "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

To paraphrase with regard to Brodeur still trying to play, "I disapprove of you harming your legacy by trying to play beyond your time, but will defend to the death your right to try."

I think he's being at least a little arrogant and greedy, wants those last 12 W's for 700. His style is out of date, not to mention most of the greats in the game today grew up idolizing or at least respecting the guy's ability, which means they've all been watching him play for years. No coincidence that his numbers have been declining. Sure, he's getting older and slower, but he's played 1259 games last I checked, and I think that players know his game too well for him to be a legit NHL goalie again.

I agree with you that he should retire.

There's an old quote from Voltaire saying "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

To paraphrase with regard to Brodeur still trying to play, "I disapprove of you harming your legacy by trying to play beyond your time, but will defend to the death your right to try."

no

Archived