The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think all Canuck's Fans owe a huge vote of thanks to Trevor Linden

*Buzzsaw*

Everyone is talking about how inspired Benning's decisions have been.

Everyone is talking about how big a change Willie D's coaching style has been.

But the fact is, neither of these guys would be in place without Trevor making the the careful and thoughtful decision to go out and sign them.

Some may say these were obvious choices... but if that were the case, why didn't other teams sign them?

There were a lot of more highly ranked teams, whose prospects seemed brighter, and whose management options were greater... yet Trevor managed to convince Benning to join Vancouver.

All the signs pointed to Vancouver being a team on a slide into mediocrity... not exactly a selling point for a new NHL coach like Desjardins to make his name with... yet he still signed with Vancouver.

And once Trevor filled these two key positions, he then gave Benning the freedom to make the changes to the personel he felt were needed, and Desjardins the go ahead to employ the coaching methods he wanted.

Plus of course, Trevor was there in the way he has been for this team from the start... to provide quiet, honest and positive leadership, to create the atmosphere where the members of the team felt valued and worthy.

You'll notice throughout this, he has claimed no credit for the improvements, he never blows his own horn, he turns all of compliments of the media into compliments of the management and players he put into place.

And of course, before all this, he had to make the decision to let go those players and personel who were not going to move us forward.

This organization has had a 180 degree reversal in its direction of travel, and I feel credit has to go first and foremost to the guy who looked to have an almost impossible task... many thought he would be nothing more than a front man, a PR person who would preside over a declining team.

Far from the case.

Instead Trevor Linden has shown there are more dimensions to his personality than just the allstar, alltime favorite Captain of the Canucks... he is a builder in the true sense of the word.

So I take off my hat to Trevor Linden... once again, he has shown the quality of character he has.

I think the fact that TL is one of the "bosses" is likely a huge boost of confidence to the players. They know he can be trusted and really knows hockey, as a former dedicated warrior of the game. It's much easier to have someone in charge of making decisions if there is a sense of trust there.

I feel that the overall changes we've seen have rejuvenated the veterans and they can now roll with some confidence and momentum as a result. Once those two things are gone, the mental edge is lost and guys tend ot overthink the game. They're having fun out there and that's a big deal.

Sure, a couple of losses can change all of that but they've hopefully gotten over the sting of the past few years and it's a bit of a clean slate. I feel very good about the team in place, including those behind the bench as well as on it.

Honestly we owe Gillis more of a thank you...

He was right about that Canucks needing a retool/reset.

Just he wasn't the man to do it.

How do we owe Gillis more of a thank you? After the Sharks swept us his idea of a retool was to simply fire AV. If anything we owe the Aquilinis more of a thank you for recognizing Gillis' expiration date had come and for hiring Lord Linden

How do we owe Gillis more of a thank you? After the Sharks swept us his idea of a retool was to simply fire AV. If anything we owe the Aquilinis more of a thank you for recognizing Gillis' expiration date had come and for hiring Lord Linden

That's what I meant by thanking him... He was the reason for his own downfall.

But you gotta give the guy credit where its due the whole time TSN and other media outlets were basically ridiculing him when he kept mentioning retooling and reset, and look what Benning and Linden did.

We did not require a total rebuild and we are basically on par with the 2011 team. Last year TSN kept suggesting we should rebuild.

By that standard Lets thank the Aqualini's for hiring Linden.

I think the Aquilini's hired Linden as a PR move... thinking the team was going to tank.

Then when he got into the position, he convinced them the team could be re-tooled instead of blown up.

Plus, in my opinion, Linden's personal integrity which is a key selling point in aquiring Benning and Desjardins. Everyone around the league knows him from his work with the NHLPA, and they respect him for his level headed approach to business and honesty.

Neither one of Benning or Linden are getting enough recognition around the league imo.

TSN would much rather talk for 15 minutes during a 30 minute segment of TSN That's Hockey about the Leafs preparing for a daring matchup against the Hurricanes, and talk about how Lupul's grandmother loves pickled herring.

The deal with Rogers really pushed TSN aside and now they are struggling to stay relevant by trying to prop up the carcass that is the Toronto maple laughs.

But when people are willing to pay to watch the NHL equivalent of a sow's ear, it generates buzz and turns into a billion dollar silk purse.

I love the city of Toronto, but truly wonder what the hell this dog's breakfast of a team will accomplish outside of laying a steaming pile on the ice at the end of the season and skating around it with their sticks raised.

I think we have one of the best front office's now in the NHL. Linden handles the media, and take the heat. Benning just gets the talent, and players we need. Willie gets the best he can out of them.

My concern is that players like Sbisa and Edler might be improving simply because, not of WD, but because of our assistant coach Doug Lidster. I think Doug will eventually take over the reins. My worry is some team like Edmonton, or Toronto will throw a ton of money at him, and he might jump at the chance.

Lidster I think has great head coach written all over him.

That's what I meant by thanking him... He was the reason for his own downfall.

But you gotta give the guy credit where its due the whole time TSN and other media outlets were basically ridiculing him when he kept mentioning retooling and reset, and look what Benning and Linden did.

We did not require a total rebuild and we are basically on par with the 2011 team. Last year TSN kept suggesting we should rebuild.

Sorry, but not even close. Sedin's were 100 point players, Kesler a Selke year and our Defence was one of , if not the best in the league.

Archived