The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Amiibos

avelanch

Since these will be present across multiple games and platforms I figured they deserved their own thread.

First of all, What is an Amiibo?

Amiibo (アミーボ Amībo, stylized as amiibo) are a series of figurines produced by Nintendo for use with the New Nintendo 3DS and Wii U gaming platforms. Similar to Skylanders and Disney Infinity, these figures, which are modelled after characters from Nintendo's various franchises, use near field communication (NFC) to interact with supported video game software, allowing data to be transferred in and out of each game and across multiple platforms.

The figures can be used directly with the Wii U GamePad and New Nintendo 3DS, with an adapter for older Nintendo 3DS systems to be released in 2015.

These collectible figurines already are in high demand by collectors, with "rare" ones (like Marth) selling online for 2-3 times their value, and one defective samus with 2 arm cannons (2 right arms, attached on either side), selling for $2,500. http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rare-Wii-U-Amiibo-Just-Sold-2-500-68722.html

the current lineup:

1040738_10152451770965967_26589495839377

Coming in December:

sm_amiibo_packshots_wave2_91865-1024x512

Wave 3&4 announced figures:

2GgtETL.jpg

Lucario is a toys R Us Exclusive

Shulk is a Gamestop Exclusive

Meta Knight is a Best buy Exclusive

Wave 5:

image_327628_fit_620.jpg

SMB Series (march 5):

super_mario_collection_amiibo-640x320.pn

Compatible software Wii U

• Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - AI fighter that levels up (all)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Announced but unknown usage
  • Mario Kart 8 - unlocks custom mii outfits (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Link, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Samus, Fox)
  • Mario Party 10 - Announced but unknown usage (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser)
  • Yoshi's Woolly World - Announced but unknown usage (Yoshi)
  • Hyrule Warriors - Unlocks weapons, items and rupees (all)
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Announced but unknown usage (Kirby)

Nintendo 3DS

• Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - AI fighter that levels up (All)
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy Plus - Japan only, Unlocks character themed planes (Luigi (F-35), Fox (ADF-01), Link (F-14D), Peach (Typhoon))

my brother has marth

if it's still in the package i'd consider selling it, i sold mine for 3x what i paid for it.

also, i missed the december release so i added that to the OP.

Amiibos are the only things on my christmas list aside from "anything canucks related" (yes, my parents still ask us for lists) since i have pretty much everything i want already. any of them that i want still that i don't get i'll try to pick up after christmas. I wonder how my wife is going to feel about all these figurines... at least they are made of a soft flexible material so my daughter can play with them in the future (if i let her :P)

I'm surprised how many of those are coming out before Ganondorf does.

It would be sick to have a Zelda collection with Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf. I'd probably skip Toon Link.

I should probably check the store soon and try to grab the current ones I want being Link and Marth.

I dunno why all these people came before ganondorf, but I can assume they know that anyone who wants to make a Zelda Triforce set would be patient enough to wait, lol.

I kept both my Link and Peach ones. Will proably by a Fox and Zelda one as well, in a week when that releases. If anything, they make for bad ass looking figurines.

Two points though. One, why are these equally priced/more expensive than Disney Infinity toys, when those and Skylander toys and their basic platforms have more to offer than these amiibos?

Leads into my point two, which is that these amiibos really need their own standalone game, in the same way. How awesome would that be? I can assume it's already in the pipeline, and they're saving an announcement for later, like E3 or something. But it would make that investment so worth the while. As of now it just feels like I'm wasting my money on cool looking toys. This really needs to be done.

these are as expensive or more expensive than disney infinity/sklanders because they are more detailed, higher quality, and used accross multiple games, not just a single series.

I'm hoping for a smash brothers RPG that uses these as characters, that would be amazing.

these are as expensive or more expensive than disney infinity/sklanders because they are more detailed, higher quality, and used accross multiple games, not just a single series.

I'm hoping for a smash brothers RPG that uses these as characters, that would be amazing.

Yeah, that RPG is what i want. Seeing the players come to life as fighters is kind of cool, but it doesn't offer so much that a basic CPU player in the opponents slot wouldn't offer. The other games compatible are not too much more that nice little bonuses, rather than full value add ons.

A skylanders type game would bring those figures to life more than anything could. Would pay whatever the hell they wanted to charge for that game, lol.

if it's still in the package i'd consider selling it, i sold mine for 3x what i paid for it.

also, i missed the december release so i added that to the OP.

Amiibos are the only things on my christmas list aside from "anything canucks related" (yes, my parents still ask us for lists) since i have pretty much everything i want already. any of them that i want still that i don't get i'll try to pick up after christmas. I wonder how my wife is going to feel about all these figurines... at least they are made of a soft flexible material so my daughter can play with them in the future (if i let her :P)

I saw a bunch of Marths when I was in the States not too long ago. I figured since there was so many that I'd be able to find him at stores back in Canada. But that hasn't been the case.

Oh how I regret not picking him up when I saw him.

I think the diddy kong amiibo is the new Marth one. Not that I wanted it. But it seems to be unavailable in more than one place (read, all the best buys and amazon). Picked up the new Zelda one. There were more than a few of those. I won't open it until I'm sure it's not a marth, or a marth-lite.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I read that those were discontinued in order to save shelf space for when the others come out at the end of the month.

nintendo came out and said that they were doing a second run of them because of their large demand. sounds like they did some fine adjustment to the second run too:

User Actions
Following
N7EQo5nl_bigger.jpegSmashBros-Miiverse@SmashMiiverse

It seems like the second shipment of Marth has better eyes. Thanks at Xeno from @VandalOnline http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/marth

Retweet
Favorite
More
B5YL9x3IEAAKwd2.jpg
B5YL-FdIYAE4PD1.jpg

Archived