The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Women get paid menstral leave?

Chalky

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/paid-menstrual-leave-debate-resurfaces-1.2860589

'This is about employers being sensible and aware,' gynecologist tells U.K. paper

"Some women feel really grotty when menstruating. Coming into work is a struggle and they feel lousy,"

I have a lot of sympathy for women who get bad periods, having Colitis, I feel I have shared some similar symptoms. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head...

I could see a backlash from men in the workplace, whether perceived, real, uncalled for or valid. Perhaps the productivity boost mentioned in the article would be nullified by animosity from male workers.

I could see it affecting gender equality in pay and ability to get jobs. It may not be fair, but I think it's accurate to think that it could become a problem.

How would it be determined when the benefit ends? After Menopause would there be a reason for it?

I would be more in favour of having some other form of benefit, such as a yearly allotment of sick days for women in full-time positions or something...I haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet.

I understand this may turn into a serious misogynistic Man vs Woman thread, but I was reading the article and I just had to do it.

I hope we can keep it civil.

giphy.gif

I hope we can keep it civil.

But this is CDC.

It's hard for me to comment as I am not a woman, but wouldn't such a thing qualify as a legit use of sick days? The article even states that it only affects up to 20% of women in a way that is severe enough to interfere with work and school. Why make a blanket policy that would only benefit 20% of a segment of your workforce?

i think they should be able to apply for short term disability if it's truly that bad for them that they can't work during those days. it should not be a blanket policy for all women though. not for an issue only a 20% of the female population suffers from.

Pretty slippery slope. If one gender can't work because of a physical inadequacy it would definitely lower their employment value.

Personally I play sports because my body is built for it but being that I've played for 37 years and continue to put my body through hell (sucker for punishment) I can barely move some days but I never miss a day because of it.

Perhaps those that can be certified by a doctor can be put on a different work schedule to compensate.

Regardless of the reason I would guess at the end of the argument there will be some pretty bitter men out there if their counterparts get up to 60 extra days off work per year, and how would you confirm that?

Pretty slippery slope. If one gender can't work because of a physical inadequacy it would definitely lower their employment value.

Personally I play sports because my body is built for it but being that I've played for 37 years and continue to put my body through hell (sucker for punishment) I can barely move some days but I never miss a day because of it.

Perhaps those that can be certified by a doctor can be put on a different work schedule to compensate.

Regardless of the reason I would guess at the end of the argument there will be some pretty bitter men out there if their counterparts get up to 60 extra days off work per year, and how would you confirm that?

Bitter men? Happy men not to have a menstrual woman at work all day!

Someone had to say it

No. That's totally ridiculous. If it really gets that bad every once in a while just take a sick day. If it's a routine thing to be completely non-functional and beyond being helped by anything otc then it's time to see a doctor. I used to use it to get out of school every now and again when I was younger but for work you just take some advil and suck it up.

Archived