The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Sestito to Utica on conditioning stint

Plum

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma
Sestito off to Utica on conditioning assignment after recovering from groin strain. #Canucks
"I want him to play 10 minutes a night and not five and to do that he's got to get lighter." - Desjardins on Sestito's conditioning stint
"It's about winning and he has shown what he can do, but we have to develop our young guys, too." - Desjardins on Sestito's future

Guess he wants a fitter Sestito, so send him down. He does have 1 assist in 2 games so maybe he'll get a chance with the big club if there are like 3 forward injuries at any one time (Matthias may be out right now?), but I doubt Sestito will play more than 15 games with Vancouver this year. We've got Jensen and Shinkaruk who deserve that ice time much more than Sestito does.

Give him some top 6 minutes to see if he can regain the offense of his glory junior days.

While I doubt Tommy ever gets back to the kind of scoring he put up as an OHL overager (42 goals in 60 GP), it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume he could be productive in a top-six role for Utica. He's generally scored around a point for every two AHL games played, which is probably good enough for a spot anywhere in the Comets' bottom-nine.

He could fit pretty well on a line that needs some physicality and a heavier presence. And his hands are good enough for him to be effective as a net front presence and scoring threat when fighting for position in the "home plate" area.

And given how Willie wants our fourth line to play, and what he wants Sestito to change about his game, it might be helpful for him to get some minutes in an offensive role.

Archived