The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Detroit working on a package to acquire Tyler Myers

Detroit will turn Myers into Chara 2.0 just watch. Our equivalent would probably be Shinkaruk, Jensen/Gaunce, 1st. I don't think we can afford to give up that much IMO.Unless we find a way to acquire multiple 1st round picks this year I'd rather just wait and go after Green in the summer.

So apparently the asking price for Myers is starting at Dylan Larkin, Tomas Jurco and 1st. What would be the Canucks equivalent to that deal be?

Canucks equivalent, assuming the Wings would be dumb enough to accept that? I'd say McCann, Vey, and a 1st. But again, the Wings, if they end up acquiring Myers, won't end up giving up both Larkin and Jurco. It would be either one of them with another prospect, not both.

Detroit will turn Myers into Chara 2.0 just watch. Our equivalent would probably be Shinkaruk, Jensen/Gaunce, 1st. I don't think we can afford to give up that much IMO.Unless we find a way to acquire multiple 1st round picks this year I'd rather just wait and go after Green in the summer.

I would probably consider Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and our 1st IF they retained some salary on Myers. Shinkaruk will be good but is replaceable. Gaunce is redundant with the way Horvat is developing. If the Canucks can maintain a playoff position the pick is not going to get an immediate impact player anyway. I have a feeling Myers would thrive under Desjardins and Lidster. A high price to pay for sure but sometimes you have to pay a high price especially when it means potentially filling two giant holes on defense with a young guy you can build around.

NO chance they're giving up Larkin Jurco AND a 1st. Holland hasn't been around this long making poor trades.

I think they'd offer a comparable package for a PMD like Yandle first

If Yandle was right handed then I'd agree but Detroit desperately needs a RHD and Myers fits the bill perfectly.

Why is everyone so eager to give up Shinkaruk? We have literally nobody with his potential. He's the only prospect we have that has a legitimate shot at being a first liner. I'd offer up Jensen, Lack, and a 3rd rounder (maybe 2nd if they really insist) for Myers, nothing more. Myers has all the potential in the world but he really hasn't proven much yet at the NHL level so I wouldn't want to risk too much for him.

EDIT: It turns out they have a few good goalies in their system so maybe Sbisa/Stanton instead of Lack

Why is everyone so eager to give up Shinkaruk? We have literally nobody with his potential. He's the only prospect we have that has a legitimate shot at being a first liner. I'd offer up Jensen, Lack, and a 3rd rounder (maybe 2nd if they really insist) for Myers, nothing more. Myers has all the potential in the world but he really hasn't proven much yet at the NHL level so I wouldn't want to risk too much for him.

EDIT: It turns out they have a few good goalies in their system so maybe Sbisa/Stanton instead of Lack

As opposed to Shinkaruk who has proven a ton at the NHL level?

Myers needs to find consistency and get back to what made him successful early. But he is also a guy with 48 and 37 point full seasons on his resume and reasonable point per game average considering the team he has played on especially the last few years. He also plays big minutes so we know he is capable.

It's not about throwing Shinkaruk away though. It is about asset management and trade realities. You have to give something of value if you want something of value in return. Shinkaruk is a great prospect but potential #1 dmen (especially with size and skill) are almost impossible to acquire other than through the draft. Smaller, skilled scoring wingers are much easier to get your hands on through trades and free agency. It would be a sacrifice for sure but I think well worth it for a potential #1 dman if he can find his game again.

Looking at our own "Myers" in Edler this season and the turnaround under this coaching staff, I am really optimistic that Myers could get his game back on track here.

I counter with enjoy your former calder winner I'll run with Pedan and Tryamkin as my smooth skating giant on the blue line

Tryamkin - Myers

Edler - Tanev

Pedan - Sbisa

Size and physicality mixed with strong defensive play in Tanev. I like it.

Archived