The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biega called up

Mackcanuck

First time call-ups, generally speaking, are great for an organization.

Let's the guys on the farm know that there is a chance - however small - that they will be rewarded for their hard work. Let's them know the brass is actually watching.

Guys will go that extra mile for their teammates and for themselves if they know there is a chance they'll get a call-up - this is good for the organization. It also keeps those guys that think they're the automatic call-up (Corrado, cough, cough) on their game:).

Nice to have call-ups but it would be nicer to see them play. I was hoping to see Corrado play. Don't really watch AHL games so I was curious as to how he has been developing.

I hope this guy plays, don't know much about him but I am interested in seeing our prospects get a little bit of NHL time.

Damn, I thought for sure since Benning was scouting Utica personally that he'd call up Sanguinetti. The guy's been awesome at both ends, has a booming shot and shoots R as well. Definitely Utica's best defenseman and probably an upgrade on Weber.

Agreed.

Wonder if they are calling up Biega to see if he can play comfortably at this level.

The AHL pairing success might translate to the NHL level?

It would give a third pairing and both Biega and/or Sanguinetti can man the 2nd unit PP.

It also frees up existing d men for potential trades.

Benning is always working on something.

At the very least he'll be no less offensive than a guy like sbisa, and no less defensive than a guy like weber. Could push some vets to play better. :)

Nice summary. Thanx!

Damn, I thought for sure since Benning was scouting Utica personally that he'd call up Sanguinetti. The guy's been awesome at both ends, has a booming shot and shoots R as well. Definitely Utica's best defenseman and probably an upgrade on Weber.

Is that Sanguinetti may have to clear waivers going down again a factor?

Agreed.

Wonder if they are calling up Biega to see if he can play comfortably at this level.

The AHL pairing success might translate to the NHL level?

It would give a third pairing and both Biega and/or Sanguinetti can man the 2nd unit PP.

It also frees up existing d men for potential trades.

Benning is always working on something.

Do Sanguinetti and Biega play mostly together on the Comets? They're both righties...

Do Sanguinetti and Biega play mostly together on the Comets? They're both righties...

Going off the HF boards they line up on the first and second lines.

"I hope so. Biega is a RH shot, like Weber and Corrado.

I'm sure if they were looking at sitting a lefty, they would have brought up Sanguinetti." Steveorama

'Utica Comets' would know as he attends the games.

They have brought Pedan in and there is a 9 d man log jam about to happen in Utica so I am guessing they are looking at Biega to see what his upside is.

with the injuries along the blue line in Utica, the pairings Biega and Sanguinetti are on have been:

Pedan-Biega

LaFranchise-Sanguinetti

The D corps in Utica is looking good when healthy this year.

Andersson-Sanguinetti

Tommernes-Biega

Pedan-Corrado

Huskins

Earhardt

Negrin

LaFranchise

Blain

Man I love seeing guys score their first NHL goals. I hope we see more of that this season.

It gets the other players pumped, and I think it reminds them why they love the game so much.

Always seems to happen against us, but I suspect it's just because I watch pretty much only Canucks games and we aren't special in that regard.

Archived