The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A little Reality Check (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

#1. Ok, we are not as good as everyone thought we were, but at this time, we are not as bad as last year.

#2. Benning is not quite a god, and Miller is not worth 6 million a season.

#3. You can not score from the perimeter, or from behind the net!

#4. Our team does not match up well against big teams, or fast teams.

#5. Our depth is decent, not incredible

#6. We really do miss Hamhuis, and probably Kassian too!

#7. My family has been to 2 games this year, and we have been out scored 10 -1

#8. We should watch from our livingroom and give the Canucks a chance.

#9. I would rather have a young dman playing, instead of Weber.

#10. I knew Bieksa was getting slow, but not slow as he has shown this year.

#11. I still love Bieksa anyways.

#12. Get used to the fact we will end up around 14 to 16 overall. (Quite an improvement, really!)

EDIT

#13. And I really do think it will be a mistake if we don't move a couple of older players at the deadline

I disagree with point #1, far from everyone thought the Canucks are a real contender. I very much agree with point #4 and that is a BIG problem.

We could use another sniper(with speed) for the 2nd line so that we could put Vrbata back on the 1st with the Sedins'. The Sedins' play will probably start to taper off (if it hasn't already started) and we need a 2nd line that can push to steal the #1 status....right now there is too large a gap.

The 4th line has exceeded expectations and is as good as most in the league.

One of the problems is that our prospects are not quite ready to stick with the big club so Benning does not have the luxury of moving a vet or two to make room. There were a number of years where the Canucks drafting wasn't the greatest so now we have that gap. About the only move that Benning can do to counter this is to trade a younger prospect who is not ready for a prospect who is a bit older and farther along in his development and maturity. He has to hang on to our top draft picks or the team will face a gap farther down the road. So, mostly swapping a younger 4th rnd pick to fill a positional need.

No one can really expect Linden, Benning and Desjardins to turn the teams fortunes around in the first year and win a SC so I would say that there has been considerable progress made this year. The 4 straight losses is cause for concern but it doesn't erase all the positive moves forward either.

Hopefully Shinkaruk and Jensen can continue their progress and be ready to challenge sooner than later, that will improve our firepower. Gaunce will hopefully be able to step in as a 3rd or 4th liner allowing Benning some latitude to fill other needs (like defensive depth) by trading a vet.

Short term fix....work on team defense and learn to finish a check. Adopt a 'shoot the puck' mentality and pick up some garbage goals in close.

No Hamhuis injury and your entire argued is liked laughable because this losing streak at the tail end of a long trip wouldnt be, or look nearly as bad as it has. Besides, 2 more wins than we ended up with would have kept the CDC in high praise of everyone still. Chill out dude, this is the first losing skid of the many all teams experience to varying degrees.

Couple comments. Agree with the Miller deal being a dud. I'd like to see the kids play more. Miss Kesler. I predicted that this team would not compete for the playoffs, so we will see how correct I am - the problems with the team were exposed last year - scoring up front. Was it dealt with? Not really. Benning basically doubled down on the Sedins.

One of the things I was trying to explain to folks is that the problem wasn't Gillis, nor was it Tortorella. The problem was a structural problem with the Canucks. Swapping the coaches won't fix the main problems.

As to what should be done? Well, now we have a big gaping gap in the second line and a first line, that on better days is still below average. I wouldn't make more trades to the team.

As of right now - forwards only the canucks have:

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Vrbata is a solid 2, and the Canucks have 2 1/2s in the Sedins.

All three are above par for a first line, but there really isn't a true number 1.

Bonino is also a first liner.

Then you have Richardson and Higgins, who are average level second liners.

So far the Canuck's competitive advantage is having Vrbata as a Kesler replacement, and Bonino being a Burrows replacement, giving the Canucks a true top 4 and a somewhat above average league top 6.

Then you've got Hansen, Vey and Burrows who are below average 2's but still in the top 6. So the Canucks have 9 current top 6 players.

The problem is if the production continues to drop at the top. Current NHL median 1st liners are Zack Parise at 23 which is right were Vrbata is. Sedins are at 26 points.

If Parise et al catch up, the Sedins will only be average first line players. As it is they are slightly above average, but again, the Canucks do not have a true number 1 player.

If the Canucks want a playoff standard number 1, that would be Joe Thornton.

The real problem is that aside from Vrbata, you have no real, first line scorers. Vrbata himself is a below average number 1, but still qualifies. Next up is Hansen with 8. Cutoff for the top 90 is 7, with Hansen tied at 63 with Giroux et al.

A couple more low scoring games, and the Canucks will fall behind on scorers.

As of right now - forwards only the canucks have:

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Vrbata is a solid 2, and the Canucks have 2 1/2s in the Sedins.

All three are above par for a first line, but there really isn't a true number 1.

Bonino is also a first liner.

Then you have Richardson and Higgins, who are average level second liners.

So far the Canuck's competitive advantage is having Vrbata as a Kesler replacement, and Bonino being a Burrows replacement, giving the Canucks a true top 4 and a somewhat above average league top 6.

Then you've got Hansen, Vey and Burrows who are below average 2's but still in the top 6. So the Canucks have 9 current top 6 players.

The problem is if the production continues to drop at the top. Current NHL median 1st liners are Zack Parise at 23 which is right were Vrbata is. Sedins are at 26 points.

If Parise et al catch up, the Sedins will only be average first line players. As it is they are slightly above average, but again, the Canucks do not have a true number 1 player.

If the Canucks want a playoff standard number 1, that would be Joe Thornton.

The real problem is that aside from Vrbata, you have no real, first line scorers. Vrbata himself is a below average number 1, but still qualifies. Next up is Hansen with 8. Cutoff for the top 90 is 7, with Hansen tied at 63 with Giroux et al.

A couple more low scoring games, and the Canucks will fall behind on scorers.

I'm going to have to disagree - you're using top 90 forwards in points as 1st liners, next 90 as second liners, etc. If we want to be a good team, a first liner needs to be top 60, second liner is top 150, etc. Sedins are decent but not great first liners. Vrbata is below average. Bonino is a decent second line centre but not amazing. Nobody else is good 2nd line material - they're all tweeners.

The team had a hot start. In reality we should be fighting for a wild card spot

Exactly! I would have been more than happy with a wild card spot prior the season starting. But with the hot start I allowed myself to to believe we were better than we are. Now a wild card spot should it happen, would be welcomed.

I think most people got on a real team high when we had that hot start, and it was fun. The reality of this team has set in and we are not a top 5 team in the NHL. We are going to fight for a wild card spot. The team is still in the middle of a minor rebuild, just like Detroit. In Detroit's case they have a few years on us with young forward depth, but we are getting there.

We don't have snipers, only VrbatA at times and Bonino but not even consistent. We don't have enough skill to make the goalie out of his net. Again you can't really see anyone who can score at point blank from the dot

lol

we don't have pure goal scorers like kessel or zherdev, we have two-way players who battle

They're pretty much doing exactly how they were set up to be on paper. Good, but not dominant. There will be losing streaks and winning streaks and in the end this looks like it'll be a playoff team. I just hope they don't succumb to middle of the pack meh playoffs performance sickness again.

lol

we don't have pure goal scorers like kessel or zherdev, we have two-way players who battle

and those are who we need pure goal scorers, people here wants to trade hardworking Hansen and Higgins, only because they hated them personaly, and not producing much more than expected, those are two ways, but fans, who cares

Archived