The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A little Reality Check (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

interesting situational face-off stats reality check.

henrik sedin

overall - 50.6%

penalty kill - 38.5% (only 26 draws)

nick bonino

overall - 46.9%

penalty kill - 41.5%

brad richardson

overall - 49.6%

penalty kill - 42.0%

linden vey

overall - 37.8%

powerplay - 52.0% (only 25 draws)

bo horvat

overall - 57.4%

and those are who we need pure goal scorers, people here wants to trade hardworking Hansen and Higgins, only because they hated them personaly, and not producing much more than expected, those are two ways, but fans, who cares

damn brother... pay attention in english class, you won't graduate if you can't be understood.

To cherry-pick a few issues:

Benning is still trying to figure out what he's got here. I have no doubt he's working with the idea that this team really bottomed-out last season, so he's aware there are some problems somewhere. He's taking time to figure out where the trap doors are. There's no possible way he was going to get all his work done in one summer. Moving Kesler and Garrison was the start, not the end.

Miller is just what I thought at the time he was signed, an average goalie. The money paid to him could have been better invested somewhere else. At this stage, Lack is a better goalie than he is, and as time goes on it will become even more apparent. I'm not disappointed in Miller, I didn't think he was a wise signing to begin with.

Bieksa's play has been beyond horrendous this season, and unbelievably, it continues to reach new depths. I like the guy, but watching him is like watching somebody losing their mind. I'd sit him for a game or two, but who is available to take his spot? People lament the loss of Hamhuis, but he wasn't exactly knocking it out of the park when he was in the lineup either. I'm liking Sbisa....but not as a top-4 guy. The D is simply not good enough, but didn't we already suspect that to a large degree?

The Sedins can still be great players to watch, but against a fast team, they are lost. Against a big team, they are marginally effective. Play against Edmonton every night and they'd be point-per-game players again. They simply cannot play to the level of what a #1 line should on a consistent basis. The league speeds up, they are slowing down. Bad formula for success.

As I thought last season, and again at the start of this year, the team will be battling for the last playoff spot...that's where they slot into the bigger picture. The types of signings and trades that occurred in the summer are just holding-pattern type things until the kids are ready to infiltrate the lineup. Regardless of where the team sits, the jettisoning-off of a vet or two at the trade deadline will still be the correct play. Cap space is king.

Overall, there's nothing going on here that is terribly discouraging, except maybe that it would be nicer to have another young guy or two in the lineup. I think Willie is doing a pretty good job. The rest is what it is....a fairly pedestrian NHL roster.

Terrific post Jack. I'm in agreement with all of it, especially your third paragraph in regards to Bieksa and our defence as a whole.

This team isn't a contender and the sedins are at the end of their careers, which is why it's so important to land a future superstar in this great 2015 draft to eventually replace them. They need to follow the advice of the great magic johnson because he's been preaching the same things I've said all season about this team. It's what's best for this franchise moving forward.

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/nba/story/_/id/12005550/magic-johnson-says-hopes-los-angeles-lakers-lose-every-game

Not sure if a reality check is necessarily needed, however at the same time I hope folks didn't think we were a cup contender based on the start of our season. -Benning is also a first time GM, a bit different from being an assistant, or a scout. -Same with Linden in his position ******both have done a great job so far, however will have to learn how to deal with adversity -We are a team on the border of being a veteran team and a young team -As our defence is showing, with a major injury to one or two key players we don't have the depth yet to replace them from within - this leaves Benning in a tough spot, cuz likely he will have to trade an asset to get a good player -I agree with the OP about the Miller signing, and have never really understood it.

Second in Pacific.

Not hating here but 5th in the conference, 2 points out of a playoff spot, only a +3 goal differential, an underwhelming 1st line, an invisible 2nd line, very ordinary defence, and questionable goaltending do not an elite team make. A playoff team perhaps, a cup contender? Not this year by the looks of it. Therefore not elite.

Not hating here but 5th in the conference, 2 points out of a playoff spot, only a +3 goal differential, an underwhelming 1st line, an invisible 2nd line, very ordinary defence, and questionable goaltending do not an elite team make. A playoff team perhaps, a cup contender? Not this year by the looks of it. Therefore not elite.

To be fair, we weren't supposed to be a cup contender in '94. ;)

Not at all......I have been a fan from the start....will always be one.....

It is kind of like having kids....you love them to pieces, but that doesn't mean you have to always like them.

^^^^ This times 10 from a long time Canucks fan.

To be fair, we weren't supposed to be a cup contender in '94. ;)

That team however underperformed but they had all the personnel necessary to make that run, this current team doesn't appear to. A comparable to the '94 squad would be the 2012 Kings.

Archived