The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Opinion] Free Pass for the Sedins

bigbadcanucks

five game samples are virtually pointless.

It goes back to last year as well, although in their defence, Torts was largely to blame for that. I'm just saying that 13 goals and 52 points between them in 30 games isn't looking like a bargain for 14 mil.

It goes back to last year as well, although in their defence, Torts was largely to blame for that. I'm just saying that 13 goals and 52 points between them in 30 games isn't looking like a bargain for 14 mil.

Torts had no concept of the 82 game season - he seemed to think players could recuperate between periods.

The Sedins have struggled the past week or so, but I think that's understandable under the circumstances - and Vrbata hasn't been that great since his injury. I think they'll bounce back with this 4 games in 18 days stretch.

There are also only a dozen ppg players in the NHL right now - so 26 pts in 30 games isn't exactly second rate -they 're both still in the top 30 in scoring.

Torts had no concept of the 82 game season - he seemed to think players could recuperate between periods.

The Sedins have struggled the past week or so, but I think that's understandable under the circumstances - and Vrbata hasn't been that great since his injury. I think they'll bounce back with this 4 games in 18 days stretch.

There are also only a dozen ppg players in the NHL right now - so 26 pts in 30 games isn't exactly second rate -they 're both still in the top 30 in scoring.

i agree about the time off - how the team responds during/after this quieter time will determine the fate of our season. break out the ice packs and sports massages boys.

i think the concern isn't 26pts/30gp, its 14pts/20gp and 6pts/10gp.

i agree about the time off - how the team responds during/after this quieter time will determine the fate of our season. break out the ice packs and sports massages boys.

i think the concern isn't 26pts/30gp, its 14pts/20gp and 6pts/10gp.

every elite player in the NHL has stints like that though

Long road trip and the entire team is gassed. 34 year old twins included. You could see the entire team making mental mistakes and having a lack of energy to push back those last few games. THAT thankfully is correctable with some time off and practices to squelch bad habits. The upcoming schedule is quite friendly to both.

The "problem" with the twins is the same as it always has been. When secondary scoring dries up the opposition focuses all their defensive efforts on the twins.

As always, the twins are part of the solution, not the problem. Secondary scoring support, acquisition of an offensive D and *poof* suddenly the twins game will "improve" :rolleyes:

At the start of their new contracts I told myself I would be happy if they produced 225 points each over the life of that contract. I stand by that number. They've given us outstanding production for the last decade and they are getting to the age where the need that extra offensive support from the rest of the team.

I am not worried about the sedins.

You can expect them to score about 70 points this season, but I would like to see better defensive play from them. It's not like WD is going to bench them if they play poorly because we have no-one else to replace their minutes and production, so our team's destine rests in their play every single night. If they don't play well, there's not much the Canucks can do about the twins. Just hope they play solid defence and put up points.

I don't care if they score 60 points this season, as long as they tidy up their back-checking and stop making stupid careless passes with the puck on the 4-on-4s that have lead to big goals against many times this year.

I would really like for them to be split up 5 on 5. Their cycle game just doesn't work against big teams or teams with great defenders and they pretty much become useless.

They're great at making up their own plays, I wish they would make some for on the rush instead of always trying to go for the cycle.

I dream of a world where the Sedins and Vrbata are our 2nd line. They would thrive if they didn't have to carry all of the load offensively and could get away from top line/top D matchups all the time.

Currently though, our 2nd line has turned to crap and is not producing at all. So the Sedin line is being keyed on a lot harder than it was earlier in the year.

The main issue with the Sedins is that neither of them are really willing to shoot the puck at all and it severely limits their effectiveness both 5 on 5 and on the PP. Their reluctance to shoot lets the other team cheat a little bit and allow them to cycle and play the perimeter passing game. Because they know unless the Sedins hit a teammate with a pass nothing is hitting the net.

I love the Sedins but until they are placed in a more supplementary scoring type role (or at the very least we get a second line that can be offensive game changers consistently enough to take the pressure off them) this team is going to struggle.

You can expect them to score about 70 points this season, but I would like to see better defensive play from them. It's not like WD is going to bench them if they play poorly because we have no-one else to replace their minutes and production, so our team's destine rests in their play every single night. If they don't play well, there's not much the Canucks can do about the twins. Just hope they play solid defence and put up points.

I don't care if they score 60 points this season, as long as they tidy up their back-checking and stop making stupid careless passes with the puck on the 4-on-4s that have lead to big goals against many times this year.

Defensively they have been a real liability this year. I totally agree with that.

Defensively they have been a real liability this year. I totally agree with that.

Pretty much this. I've always defended the Sedins to say they're underrated for their 2 way game but that's been hard to do lately.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the entire 1st line's production dropped drastically in the 2nd half of the season. They're a 1 trick pony.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin. - Vrbata = Pass - Pass - Shoot

Didn't DET back in a few years have 40 year olds still playing really well for them?

...I hope that means this isn't too much of an age problem.

Definitely I'm hoping the Sedins would bump their little slump, so far it's not too long anyways though.

The earning of 7mil with lack of speed, turnovers, lots of passing, can't do shoot-outs, and minimum production in playoffs are probably the only consequences I see in them. They are still great with everything else! Great leadership, hardworking and they do have some really great point nights. :) Also the addition of Vrbata seems quite fitting with them. Really looking forward to them to get going with their games again, those are the best games to see some Sedin magic again.

They are overrated and It's a problem that has been going on for years not just a few games. They are really good at using what skills they have to maximize their point totals, but they lack other things that help a team win. They lose puck battles too easily, they lack intensity/aggressiveness, they are to easy to play against, they don't wear down opponents and they are weak defensively. AKA Joe Thorntonitis.

X2 . They really can be shut down and it has showed over the years in tight games and the playoffs. I love what they do but they are not very effective when the team is not doing well. Last year was a prime example. Very similar to Thornton where he dominates during the regular season and then is sporadic in the playoffs. There is a reason he lost his captaincy.

my problem with the sedins this year that I don't think has been mentioned is the long shifts they seem to be taking, I haven't looked at the stats or compared them to other years but just watching them this season it's something I've noticed and I don't like it. Especially on the PP, that bugs me big time when they are not getting anything done on it and still taking those long shifts... And please shoot the damn puck!

its the trend though thats concerning.

remove the edmonton games, and daniel has 18pts in 26 games - 56 point pace.

And where they are at in their careers and with the team that they are on, that's likely a reasonable expectation (55-60 or so points)

None of the lines are producing right now and when that happens, the opposing team concentrates on checking the Sedin line. That is why Vrbata was moved to the 2nd line in hopes of getting that line back on track. Once all the lines become a threat to score, the ice will open up for the 1st line..

Archived