The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Demko's rights traded from Spokane Chiefs to the Calgary Hitman

Outsiders

How can he play in the WHL and get paid and still be NCAA eligible?

This is in reply to the above posters.

I thought it was the AHL (professional league) that affects that eligibility that MackCanuck is thinking of. Basically, a player can go pro sooner - or finish school then go back to playing.

I didn't think that WHL affected NCAA.

WHL doesn't have anything to do with NCAA eligibility.

You're thinking of the AHL (professional league) and how it nulls that eligibility that you're thinking of. Basically, a player can go pro sooner - or finish school then go back to playing.

someone correct me if im wrong but the NCAA forbids all athletic students from getting paid to play (by anyone). The chl does pay its players a small amount (i heard 60$/game). Even our prospects have to pair their full way to come to the canucks prospects camp. Thats what the other poster is talking about.

Traded for Virtanen, what?

<_<

someone correct me if im wrong but the NCAA forbids all athletic students from getting paid to play (by anyone). The chl does pay its players a small amount (i heard 60$/game). Even our prospects have to pair their full way to come to the canucks prospects camp. Thats what the other poster is talking about.

It could either be that they don't consider playoffs paid similar to NHL, or that it is a living per diem and not actual pay.

Pretty good article on CHL/NCAA recruiting here

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/07/18/a-beginners-guide-to-the-chl-vs-ncaa-recruiting-battle/

Players who play for a team within the CHL loses his eligibility to play in the NCAA, not because of the stipends, but because many players within the league have signed contracts with NHL clubs, making them professionals. NCAA athletes are to adhere to amateurism rules, which include preventing participation in leagues that include professional players.

What has caused the debate to gain heat is the fact that many colleges have received verbal and written commitments from players only to lose them to the CHL with little time to find a replacement.

When a player signs a National Letter of Intent to attend school, he is committing to play only there and at that point cannot commit to another college unless granted release from his NLI or waiting a certain period after breaking the NLI. The NLI, however, does not impact a player’s ability to go to a CHL team. The CHL has no reason to honor the NLI and therefore continuously recruits players despite giving a written and verbal commitment to a school.

Additionally, NCAA recruiting rules vastly limit the amount of contact a school can have with a player, even after that player has given a verbal commitment. CHL teams are not bound by any rules in terms of their ability to contact players and therefore can have more time to lure players to their team.

playing in the WHL does violate the NCAA amateurism rules. He can only join them if he chooses to leave the NCAA for good, which obviously the hitmen feel there is a possibility of, for some reason. they must have more info than we do as to the possibility of this.

Archived