The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Draft Eligible - Jansen Harkins (Prince George/WHL)

Canucks1219

#12 - Jansen Harkins @JansenHarks26

Prince George Cougars

crop_2679187_32_1418673917.jpeg

Born 1997-05-23
Place of Birth Cleveland, OH, USA (Represents Canada)
Position C
Shoots L
Height 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight 82 kg / 181 lbs
WHL Draft (1/2) 2012 WHL Bantam Draft

Statistics as of 2015/3/04

62GP 20g 57a 77pts +8 41PIM

HockeyDB
EliteProspects
Player Bio (WHL)
Game-by-Game Statistics

Ranked #25 by Hockeyprospect.com (FEB)
Ranked #26 by ISS Hockey (MAR)
Ranked #21 by Future Considerations (JAN)
Ranked #27 by McKeen's Hockey (JAN)

Ranked #18 by NHL Central Scouting amongst NA skaters (MID-TERM)

Scouting Report:

"A blue collar type two-way center. Heads-up player who makes high-percentage plays in all three zones; efficient in all situations. Smooth skater. Out-working the opposition and being hard to play against are leadership traits and Jansen Harkens possesses these. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

"A highly intelligent two-way forward…skates well and will only get better with added strength…consistent and reliable…impressive in the faceoff circle…high-end defensive zone play due to his smarts, a long reach and positioning…has impressive vision and good puck skills…strong on the cycle…protects the puck well…possesses impressive playmaking skills and delivered pucks at proper times…not many holes in his game…has room to grow physically. (Future Considerations)"

Solid player, I can see him as a NHLer. He just has all the tools you need but not really a "superstar" potential more like #2C that can play in all situations and contribute offensively pretty well. Smart player with nice hands but I want to see him the whole season, might make the U18s where everyone sees him.

A friend of mine at school, older brother Tavin Grant plays back up goalie for the PGC. I just texted his brother and asked about Harkins, which he had nothing but great things to say

He told me the following.

Hella nice kid

gets along with everyone

very humble about his skill

great team leader

hard working

determined

great guy off the ice

Solid player, I can see him as a NHLer. He just has all the tools you need but not really a "superstar" potential more like #2C that can play in all situations and contribute offensively pretty well. Smart player with nice hands but I want to see him the whole season, might make the U18s where everyone sees him.

Yeah, and that's going to turn people off. With the likes of Horvat, McCann, Cassels... are people going to be satisfied with yet another "two-way" guy? The thing is, we will most likely not be in a position to select an elite centreman. Harkins will be in that next tier of "very good" centreman that will be led by Mikko Rantanen.

Given the general area of where we may end up -- I'm thinking the 12-20 range -- Harkins will be a possible selection. In any case, I'm going to take some time over the holidays to watch some of his archived games from this year. If time permits, I'll try to put together a video and/or scouting report of my own.

How about a right-side defenseman? If there is one available when we draft or through a trade that would be my preference.

There are going to be some good R-shot defenseman available for our pick which, as I've written above, I believe will be between 12-20. Matthew Spencer, Nicolas Meloche, Rasmus Andersson, and Jérémy Roy are among the higher rated right-handed defenseman. There are others but you probably don't touch them in the first round. At least not from what we've seen thus far. Somewhat interestingly, the three big-name defenseman (Hanifin, Werenski, and Kylington) all shoot left.

By the way, I'm not saying we should go for Harkins. I just thought he would be interesting to keep track of as he is a highly-touted draft eligible playing on a BC-based team.

Very solid player. Has a really strong 2 way game, excellent hands, solid skater, and he's an excellent play maker. I could definitely see him being a number 2 centre in the NHL someday.

Kinda off topic but there's a guy on the Cougars that I want the Canucks to draft next year (2016) Josh Anderson. Dude is great. He's a d-man that's big, plays well positionally, can skate extremely well, and has a little bit of an edge to him. I think he's the Cougars best d-man and he's only 16. Would be awesome if we could pick up this kid next year. I don't know where he's going to be ranked though. I honestly think it'll be top 15 and I have no idea how we're going to do next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Harkins is one of my favorite cougs players. Hard working , physical , good defensively and offensively.

He's put up 45 points this season and he'll hopefully add a few tonight against tri city. I really hope that someone with a good development system drafts him and that he becomes more than just an NHL regular. He's got the tools to make it big if he's given a chance

• 2 weeks later...

Harkins is one of my favorite cougs players. Hard working , physical , good defensively and offensively.

He's put up 45 points this season and he'll hopefully add a few tonight against tri city. I really hope that someone with a good development system drafts him and that he becomes more than just an NHL regular. He's got the tools to make it big if he's given a chance

whats his upside like? 1st line player?

whats his upside like? 1st line player?

I live in PG. Haven't been to any games this year so my opinion doesn't hold a lot of weight. I did see a few last year though.

He's a good player. makes a lot of moves that makes you go oh nice play but I was never really completely blown away like when I watched Brett Connolly. First line is probably doable if he really overacheives but you could say that about anyone, really. I'd say a good ceiling is probably second line but again I'm going on games it watched last year and his general hype around town. He's not really the elite game breaker Connolly or Hamhuis were for us but he is ranked in the first round and climbing so who knows.

Archived