The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

James Neal becomes first player fined under new NHL diving rules

http://cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24898098

Nashville Predators forward James Neal has been fined $2,000 by the NHL under its revised rules regarding diving and/or embellishment. Neal is the first player to have been publicly cited for diving, as the NHL confirmed the discipline via news release.

According to the NHLs revised rules, a player gets a warning for the first infraction. Upon a second infraction, that player is fined $2,000. The fine rises $1,000 for each ensuing infraction up to $5,000. Upon the fifth infraction and each thereafter, the player and his coach are both fined.

It was unclear at the beginning of the year when this rule was first announced as being approved if the NHL was going to publicize the fines. Now we have our definitive answer with Neal making a little disciplinary history.

According to the leagues announcement, Neal was issued a warning for a dive from a Nov. 13 game against the St. Louis Blues. There was no penalty called on that play. His second infraction came on Dec. 13 against the San Jose Sharks. Neal was whistled for embellishment on that play, which came with only 21 seconds remaining in regulation.

Heres a look at the play in question (via @Cellblock303):

http://gfycat.com/RaggedBewitchedAmericanbittern#

Even if that tap from San Joses Barclay Goodrow was a true slash (and Goodrow was penalized for it), Neal won't be asked to walk the red carpets this awards season for that dismount.

Well, ...that's a start? :huh:

I mean, it's good the league is exposing these guys but $2000 to a guy like Neal is probably worth 10 minutes of a workday lol. Think 5 strikes is too much and think after the 3rd you should start fining the coach/team and suspend the player.

It took them this long to fine someone? There's been countless other embellishes throughout the season, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Also I agree that 5 is too many. Should be 3 then a suspension, along with bigger fines. I doubt Neal will be affected by this at all.

I mean, it's good the league is exposing these guys but $2000 to a guy like Neal is probably worth 10 minutes of a workday lol. Think 5 strikes is too much and think after the 3rd you should start fining the coach/team and suspend the player.

Some dive that many times per game.

Can you be fined more than once per game? For a diving infraction?

I can't see the play but hey good enough start a high profile player getting fined. Maybe just maybe it will start a trend

But...we all know that won't happen.

It's an obvious one, clear-cut dive, most likely the criterion they're going by.

I just looked at the punishments for each citation and WOW is it lenient.

A player can dive up to 8 times, with a maximum fine of $5000.

Yes, the coach gets fined as well, but it's not like these guys are making $50,000/year. The NHL needs to be WAY more aggressive with this if they want to eliminate it.

The publicity of the dive helps (I really like that), but I also agree with others that the punishment needs to be much worse.

Fines should reach $25,000 for repeating offenders, plus progressively worse suspensions.

More than anything else, he's been publicly shamed. The league and especially officials will probably be able to pay more attention to players in the future with say 4 fines for diving and will be less likely to give calls against them based on their now-recordable history.

Smart move by the NHL, and not too heavy. This is more of a way to police games on-ice than it is punish them off-ice. Much better to have this official, concrete recording of players who embellish rather than officials just talking about it to themselves, by word of mouth, and not giving penalty calls to those who are rumoured to be embellishers (e.g. no calls been given against Burrows because he's a "diver"). This is a much more objective and fairer measure to deal with these discrepancies.

The 3rd time, the player should sit out for x number of games, and in those games no player can replace him. So for example say Burrows was to sit out after the 3rd time:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-....

Matthias-Richardson-Vey

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

This way the team will have to deal with the infraction as well. Team's don't tell their players to dive although still having the team pay for it as well will make the 'diver' feel more responsible and maybe if it starts to affect the team, divers will slowly begin to fade from this league.

Teams should start paying for the actions for their players, it may seem harsh but quite frankly nothing else the NHL has tried thus far has worked.

Archived