The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd line shakeup

Delta76

It's pretty clear the the second line is in a slump and needs to get going.

I think that Matthias and Vey have both earned minutes over Burr and Higgins. Matthias was playing great before the "legal" head hit and Vey has shifted in and out of that 2RW position.

It has been said that Burr and Higgins are bonafied 3rd liners anyways so why not try different 3rd liners who could be in our top 6 in the future.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Matthias-Bonino-Vey

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Burrows-Horvat-Dorsett

Hansen deserves a promotion to the 3rd because of his solid forechecking. Burrows and Higgins switch between 3 and 4 LW.

our 2nd line is a 3rd line that will give you streaky scoring and disappear in long stretches like the one were having right now.

Higgins and Burrows should be on the 2nd line if were serious about a cup run...

What will happen in the playoffs when teams lock on the Sedin line? ez playoff round win for any team playing against us.

That won't really accomplish much. Vey and Matthias are no snipers.

I would try Vrbata with Bonino again, since the 1st and 2nd lines have utterly dried up offensively 5-on-5, just stir that pot.

Would try bonino on sedins line then bump horvat on second line with vrbata and burrows.

Sedins bonino

Vrbata horvat burrows

Higgins mathias vey

Hansen richardson Dorsett

1st pp unit

sedins burrows

Vrbata elder

2nd pp unit

Higgins bonino horvat

Tanev weber

That won't really accomplish much. Vey and Matthias are no snipers.

I would try Vrbata with Bonino again, since the 1st and 2nd lines have utterly dried up offensively 5-on-5, just stir that pot.

Vrbata on the second is good. I would still keep Vey there though, he a decent release and Bones is no slouch when it comes to shooting.

Hansen with the Sedins again? He's earned it and the Sedins seem to like playing with him.

Would try bonino on sedins line then bump horvat on second line with vrbata and burrows.

Sedins bonino

Vrbata horvat burrows

Higgins mathias vey

Hansen richardson Dorsett

1st pp unit

sedins burrows

Vrbata elder

2nd pp unit

Higgins bonino horvat

Tanev weber

lol no, Horvat has faced easy competition with limited ice time, he can't just jump to the 2nd line.

Higgins - Bonino - Burr is as good as it's going to get. Putting any of our depth forwards up there will just make us worse. The only thing keeping us remotely competitive right now is the ability to roll four lines, keeping guys fresh and involved.

Just have to stick it out and hope for the best. Management will evaluate and make changes accordingly next offseason... hopefully.

If Sedins-Vrbata continue putting up zeroes and multiple turnovers 5-on-5, then the lineup simply must be changed.

This. There's no sense in continuing to beat a dead horse until whatever it is ailing them clears up.

It's like the mentality of the team switched overnight. A terrific start to this game in which nobody could bury the puck and it was like everyone already marked down the L.

Vrbata on the second is good. I would still keep Vey there though, he a decent release and Bones is no slouch when it comes to shooting.

Hansen with the Sedins again? He's earned it and the Sedins seem to like playing with him.

NO. Hansen is a solid player, He works his butt off and is real aggressive on the puck...only bad thing is that he has no finish.

never a popular suggestion, but I say split the Sedins at even strength - reunite em on the powerplay, but Daniel just wants to set up these days it seems and it's a huge waste to have the two best passers on the same line.

Matthias-Henrik-Vrbata

Daniel-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Richardson-Vey

(not sure about Matthias there but I'd like to see ; he's been the most consistently dangerous fwd over the losing streak, and more importantly the most unpredictable, so I'd like to see how he does opening space for Hank & Rad - plus, rewarding effort...)

Throughout the game I was actually thinking maybe switch Vey and Burrows for a bit, Burrows would probably fit with Richardson and Matthias a bit better maybe.

Something does need to be done though, same with the PP - maybe throw in Matthias in there and give Horvat a shot perhaps? He can at least win the faceoff, adding seconds for the offensive zone coverage.

This game had some good moments, have to give credit to Lethonen on this one though, he played amazing.

never a popular suggestion, but I say split the Sedins at even strength - reunite em on the powerplay, but Daniel just wants to set up these days it seems and it's a huge waste to have the two best passers on the same line.

Matthias-Henrik-Vrbata

Daniel-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Richardson-Vey

(not sure about Matthias there but I'd like to see ; he's been the most consistently dangerous fwd over the losing streak, and more importantly the most unpredictable, so I'd like to see how he does opening space for Hank & Rad - plus, rewarding effort...)

I too think that splitting them up might be beneficial. It's worth a shot, and if it doesn't help the Sedins start producing again, maybe it will increase the confidence of the linemates who never get a chance to play on a line with them.

Matthias-Henrik-Vrbata

Daniel-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Richardson-Vey

I agree. When Daniel was the shooter it was a little silly breaking them up when they were in a rut. Now they're in a rut and neither one shoots. Do they not understand what they're doing right now simply isn't working? Or is banging their heads against the wall a popular pastime in Sweden?

Archived