The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Dreger) Canucks and Bruins talking trade

Southpop45

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/some-smoke-and-fire-oshie-bruins

Some smoke and fire with Oshie to the Bruins?

There continues to be some smoke around a potential move brewing between the Bruins and the St. Louis Blues.

The name of right wing and Team USA Olympic shootout hero T.J. Oshie was first mentioned in this space a week ago and was reiterated by TSN’s Bob McKenzie on NBCSN in between periods of the Bruins' 3-2 overtime victory over the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday night.

McKenzie also mentioned St. Louis winger Patrik Berglund as a possibility as well. So, what’s with all the chatter about the Bruins and the Blue potentially executing a deal?

Both Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli and assistant general manager Don Sweeney have been scouting St. Louis Blues games in person and McKenzie mentioned that Blues GM Doug Armstrong was supposed to be in attendance at the Bruins/Wild game in Minnesota as well.

Berglund is a good fit in terms of his size at 6-foot-4, 217 pounds, but he’s a lefty shooting center and has topped 20 goals just twice and 50 points once, in his six plus NHL seasons in St. Louis. For a team looking for offense, that’s not exactly what they’re searching for right now.

Here’s what I wrote about Oshie a week ago in regard to a potential move to the Bruins:

The 27-year-old isn’t the biggest guy in the world, but he plays bigger than his 5-foot-11, 189-pound frame would suggest as some B’s fans might remember when he concussed David Krejci with a massive hit in the neutral zone a few years back. Oshie is coming off his best NHL season with 21 goals and 60 points, and is something of a household hockey name after last year’s Olympic performance in the shootout. He could help the Bruins in a shootout area where they’ve struggled since trading away Tyler Seguin. He’s also a right shot and is signed for the next few seasons at just over a $4 million cap hit, and would fit the profile of what Boston is looking for. Peter Chiarelli has been at a couple of Blues games scouting recently, and clearly has an interest on players on the St. Louis roster. The Blues are just under the cap, and have big contracts coming next season with both Vladimir Tarasenko and Jake Allen set to hit restricted free agency.

All of that remains true, with the Bruins looking for a solution on the top line right wing, and St. Louis potentially looking for a cheaper right wing alternative (Reilly Smith) along with picks and a top grade prospect or two to clean up their cap situation just a bit. The catch for the Bruins: they’ll need to have at least one more move in place to clear cap space themselves in order to accommodate the potential incoming Oshie cap hit.

Still, one would expect that Chiarelli has already set the groundwork to dump a salary or two if a bigger, better deal becomes available with the Blues, or anybody else for that matter.

While names such as Oshie and Taylor Hall are tantalizing for Bruins fans hungering for a move, it bears repeating that underachieving Buffalo right wing Chris Stewart continues to remain the most likely solution for a B’s team looking for heaviness and scoring on the wing.

Joe Haggerty serves as Comcast SportsNet's NHL Insider. Read more from Joe here, or follow him on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

I wasn't sure if I should star a new topic, since these are all rumbling involving the Bruins. Something's coming out of Boston, St Louis makes more sense than Vancouver, basically because of all the NTC that our players have.

Also Joe Morrow is on the table or no deal. Krug is small and needs to be protected and Bartkowski sucks. I honestly can't believe they traded Boychuk and held on to Bartkowski.

Boychuk was a cap move - Bartkowski was affordable so he was kept instead.

Yeah I hope Benning doesn't make a trade with BOS unless Morrow is on the table.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/some-smoke-and-fire-oshie-bruins

I wasn't sure if I should star a new topic, since these are all rumbling involving the Bruins. Something's coming out of Boston, St Louis makes more sense than Vancouver, basically because of all the NTC that our players have.

Not to mention that the Blues have far more attractive assets on the table if that article is true.

Hell I want to make a trade for Oshie.

Not to mention that the Blues have far more attractive assets on the table if that article is true.

Hell I want to make a trade for Oshie.

Both teams have more assets than us, that is roster players, not prospects.

Unless we're talking about Reilly Smith, I would rather go after Oshie as well. It's not only about shootouts, he's a very good 'does it all' player.

Yuss! best part of a losing streak is roster changes to speculate about!

Cant see Burrows go to Boston for multiple reasons. Cap, bite, ntc, etc... Though I think Higgins would be a real nice fit on their 3rd line.

Canucks obviously looking for help on the back end, and someone whom can play the PP. Thus Krugs name is obvious. If Benning can find a way to pry Hamilton... I know, not happening... BUT if....!!!!

Higgins/Kassian/Tanev for Hamilton/Paille/pick

1.) I'm not that crazy about getting Krug. While he does have offensive upside, he certainly has size downside which wouldn't be so bad if he was a forward. As has been noted by others, this team cannot support having having a player of that size in that position (at least not this year).

2.) I think the idea of moving prospects/picks for prospects/picks is a likely trade scenario. Boston does have a number of d-men prospects who look pretty good, while the Canucks could part with a forward prospect or two. Perhaps Joe morrow coming this way?

3.) Loui Eriksson has not been as good a fit in Boston as was hoped for, and has been mentioned in trade rumours in the past. Perhaps he could be that missing top-6 winger for this team. The question is, what do the Canucks have to give up and might the Bruins be willing to take just a bit less in order to get that cap room?

Higgins and Hansen have been named a number of times, but I can't say that either would be all that happy about leaving Vancouver and likely wouldn't waive, or go willingly.

4.) I believe Vey is going to become a good NHL'er. I'd be willing to trade him away for a comaprable d-man prospect, or include him in a package for an even better d-man prospect.

5.) Losing a guy like Matthias would be hard. He's playing well and I am a fan. This being said, he makes sense for Boston as he is a big, mobile forward who can chip in with some points. The Bruins also gain around $2.5 million in cap space. There might have to be some minor amount of retention by the Bruins, or maybe the deal is epanded a bit as the Canucks would be a few hundred thousand over the cap with just a one for one deal.

So Eriksson+d-man prospect (Morrow?) for Matthias and a pick/prospect (Vey?) and maybe something else?

regards,

G.

Higgins and Weber for Krug and 2015 3rd.

Promote Jensen. Sign Krug to a 3 year deal at $3.3 per, set the bar for Tanev.

I'm not even advocating it… I just think it's something that I could see being the range of deal.

That'd mean being able to get Krug at $3.3M, but I like the idea. The Bruins would have to move cap though to fit in both Higgins and Weber as they're already ~$3M over the cap using Savard's LTI.

The deal will be Higgins and Burrows for Tory Krug and a add on. That's the meat of the trade proposal. Interesting would give the nucks a QB on the PP and offense from defense. Burrows and Higgins add depth and scoring to the forward rank.

Would also free up significant cap space for the canucks to make further moves b4 the deadline or dip into the free agency market in the offseason.

That wouldn't work as it's even worse for the Bruins' cap than theminister's deal suggested above. It's great that it'd free up space for us, but clearly the Bruins would be well over by taking on Burrows' $4.5M.

Wtd4pvh.jpg

That's awesome! I love Memento.

Definitely a 'grain of salt' report when it comes from Dreger.

Boston is up against the cap so if they want one of our roster players like Higgins/Burrows/Kassian, so it will be difficult to get one of the their young d prospects unless we take a significant roster player (cap wise) or we retain value. This is a strange world we live in now where Boston and Vancouver are discussing trades.

Archived