The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Dreger) Canucks and Bruins talking trade

Southpop45

They did start the rebuild. Instead of a fire sale for draft picks, they are trying a different approach. Slowly bring in young talent when the older contracts expire. We have 3 more seasons of a sllllooooowwww rebuild and hopefully by the time the Sedins retire, they have groomed their replacements.

At the same time, if there are teams out their willing to offer up picks and/or prospects for our players now, management needs to do the smart thing.

Letting all of the current contracts expire without flipping them for assets would be poor asset management IMO.

They did start the rebuild. Instead of a fire sale for draft picks, they are trying a different approach. Slowly bring in young talent when the older contracts expire. We have 3 more seasons of a sllllooooowwww rebuild and hopefully by the time the Sedins retire, they have groomed their replacements.

At the same time, if there are teams out their willing to offer up picks and/or prospects for our players now, management needs to do the smart thing.

Letting all of the current contracts expire without flipping them for assets would be poor asset management IMO.

A 2nd rounder was given up for Vey(a player who would have gone through waivers)

Hardly stock piling picks.

The theory sounds great but reality tells a different story. The Canucks have been near the bottom when it comes to drafting and player development. At the moment we don't have any high end talented prospects so how will this team be better in 3 years, cause players are younger? Like seriously..

This is what I mean by mediocrity, 9-15 draft picks for 3 years will not make us a deep team, unless things really change and our drafting team gets lucky a few times.

The rebuild you're proposing rarely works.

The fan base in Vancouver will not stand for letting the team tank, management and ownership know that. JB has several players he can make moves with if he can find deals worth making. I know it's not easy but that's the job.

This is what I have been saying for years. The vets like Bieksa, Higgins, the Sedins, etc. all need to also be held accountable for not bringing it. Complacency and indifference are the new hallmarks of this team and that can be directly related to the lack of accountability for some of the key players.

I mean, if you are Bieksa and you know that you can take a couple of stupid penalties, give the puck away three or four times, cause several odd man rushes with bad pinches, and float around the defensive zone while goals are scored only to get put right back out there for your top 4 minutes the next game what incentive is there for you to actually work hard to improve? There is none. Because you are still getting your prime time role and your paycheque. Drop his sorry ass to the pressbox for a game or two and maybe you wake him up. The guy has a letter on his jersey ffs. That alone should make him want to lead by example. But is he really the example we want leading the team? At least next year is a contract year so we can expect some stellar play and hard work to secure his next bloated contract with a NTC followed by apathetic play until the next contract year. One year deals for Bieksa would be awesome.

If you are the Sedins and you pass the puck 10 times only to eventually give it away while refusing to shoot even from in close when you get the chance the coach should be splitting you up until one of you starts shooting the puck. This is to say nothing about their complete indifference to ever trying to play a solid defensive game. I love them but they are two of the laziest players defensively on this team and pretty much always have been since they achieved first line status. Why would you work hard to try to improve when you have immunity to just play however you want even if it is not helping the team?

Our second line is a joke. For all the talk of how the vets work hard I actually don't see that. I see a bunch of pretty disinterested vets who do not seem to care if they win or lose. Higgins is a guy who works hard but it does not really generate anything for the team.

Higgins, Hansen, Bieksa, Burrows, etc. We all love them and should. But they need to go sooner rather than later for youth and picks. This team needs to commit to a rebuild because in the environment of few quality players making it to UFA status and trades being much more difficult the longer we hang onto past glory the longer it will take for this team to be competitive again.

This right here. People can bitch and whine about Kassian not playing to his potential but what example is the moldy core of this team providing to any of the young players?

Trade as many pieces as possible for future assets.

This team just doesn`t have it anymore. How many years do we have to keep pretending.

Time to look to the future.

I completely agree that we don't have it, and that there is some major pretending going on that we can "stay competitive" and still build for the future.

I think the insanity starts with Francesco unfortunately and he puts pressure on JB and TL to make the playoffs for $ purposes. What he doesn't get is, if we drafted a generational player - like McDavid- just an example, the $ from a generational marketable player year after year would generate way more $

Now don't trade everyone, or we will end up like Edmonton.

Trade

Burrows

Higgins

Bieksa

Vrabata- if he wants to go to a contender

And trade one of Lack or Miller

I completely agree that we don't have it, and that there is some major pretending going on that we can "stay competitive" and still build for the future.

I think the insanity starts with Francesco unfortunately and he puts pressure on JB and TL to make the playoffs for $ purposes. What he doesn't get is, if we drafted a generational player - like McDavid- just an example, the $ from a generational marketable player year after year would generate way more $

Now don't trade everyone, or we will end up like Edmonton.

Trade

Burrows

Higgins

Bieksa

Vrabata- if he wants to go to a contender

And trade one of Lack or Miller

Ex:

Bieksa and Lack to Detroit for Ryan Sproul, 2015 3rd

Burrows to MTL for their 2nd, 4th 2015

Higgins to someone for 2nd

Vrabata to TB for the NYR 1st

And now we have

Sproul, 2 1sts, 3 2nds, 1 3rd, 2 4ths

Boom, rebuild on!

Ex:

And now we have

Boom, rebuild on!

Aside from some NTCs potential cap issues and the bridges we'd visibly be burning by trading a freshly signed UFA and two heart and soul career Canucks....that is actually semi feasible

Ex:

And now we have

Boom, rebuild on!

Who do you think we are? Buffalo :picard::picard:

Aside from some NTCs potential cap issues and the bridges we'd visibly be burning by trading a freshly signed UFA and two heart and soul career Canucks....that is actually semi feasible

Only if vrabata wants to be traded and to a top contender

Bieksa and burrows are going to contenders, and if they don't want to traded, they don't have to

Cap- retain some salary to sweeten the deal or take a cap dump back to sweeten the deal and push the price up

Who do you think we are? Buffalo :picard::picard:

If we could get all those picks in this upcoming draft, I would definitely be all in for that. Will be one of the deepest drafts in quite some time, plus we need the vets gone. Vrbata is traded only because he could fetch good value. Would be very happy to get 2nd round picks for both Burrows and Higgins too.

We have to get over the fact we aren't elite anymore, and if we just let things play out, we may very well be Buffalo pretty darn soon.

If we could get all those picks in this upcoming draft, I would definitely be all in for that. Will be one of the deepest drafts in quite some time, plus we need the vets gone. Vrbata is traded only because he could fetch good value. Would be very happy to get 2nd round picks for both Burrows and Higgins too.

We have to get over the fact we aren't elite anymore, and if we just let things play out, we may very well be Buffalo pretty darn soon.

I think he meant all of the picks acquired through trades. The Sabres have had a bunch of high round picks available because of the selling off of it's players. Sell off your assets in the hopes for a better future and the team takes a nosedive for a few years. The Sabres have the strongest prospect pool in the league and it's only going to get stronger after this draft, but in the meantime they are currently a terrible team.

On a side note, from what's been said, Vancouver doesn't have a strong enough fan base to go through multiple years of having the worst or one of the worst teams in the league. It takes some serious patience and hope to be a fan of a rebuilding last place team. That's where enjoying the game as much as the team comes in. If a team's fans enjoy the game of hockey, they will still come and watch their last place team no matter what.

I think he meant all of the picks acquired through trades. The Sabres have had a bunch of high round picks available because of the selling off of it's players. Sell off your assets in the hopes for a better future and the team takes a nosedive for a few years. The Sabres have the strongest prospect pool in the league and it's only going to get stronger after this draft, but in the meantime they are currently a terrible team.

On a side note, from what's been said, Vancouver doesn't have a strong enough fan base to go through multiple years of having the worst or one of the worst teams in the league. It takes some serious patience and hope to be a fan of a rebuilding last place team. That's where enjoying the game as much as the team comes in. If a team's fans enjoy the game of hockey, they will still come and watch their last place team no matter what.

I would say you're incorrect. The Canucks have a far stronger fan base then most. It's ironic that a fan of a team that's held together by southern Ontario claims we don't have a strong fan base, come on..

We have an impatient fan base for sure, no cup since joining the league is likely to blame. You see hockey is taken far more serious in Canada then the u.s.

Canucks tickets prices, merchandise, revenue, etc is far greater then that off Buffalo and most all u.s markets.

I would say you're incorrect. The Canucks have a far stronger fan base then most. It's ironic that a fan of a team that's held together by southern Ontario claims we don't have a strong fan base, come on..

We have an impatient fan base for sure, no cup since joining the league is likely to blame. You see hockey is taken far more serious in Canada then the u.s.

Canucks tickets prices, merchandise, revenue, etc is far greater then that off Buffalo and most all u.s markets.

Southern Ontario does not hold the team (Sabres) together and you know it. They only average 20% of ticket sales (2,000 seats). It's the same thing with the Buffalo Bills where Southern Ontario averages about 15% of the ticket sales. Since there are record waiting lists for season tickets, Buffalo would support it's team just fine without Southern Ontario if it came down to it. Have the facts or at least talk to somebody knowledgeable about the organization (idiots on hfboards don't qualify) before you make stuff up.

Also, I'm not the one who came up with the whole attendance thing. I had no clue that the Canucks had those kind of attendance problems until people here told me the exact same thing I said. I actually didn't believe that the team was once in danger years ago of relocating because of attendance until people here told me and I looked it up. It's not like I just pulled insults out of my as* just to insult people on a message board that I spend time on.

Canadian ticket prices are highway robbery, but unfortunately they are a relic left over from years ago when the Canadian dollar was worth a whole lot less than the U.S. dollar. The problem was that the league and Canadian teams weren't going to lower ticket prices after the Canadian dollar strengthened a while back. On top of that the Canadian ticket prices kept rising because they could point out that US ticket prices were increasing. Unfortunately Canadians take it in the back end by the league.

Take a wild guess which team holds the NHL record for the longest streak of losing seasons in history.

I know. It had to hurt being a Canucks fan back then.

Look at the bright side - The Canucks have played for the cup 3 times whereas the Sabres have only played for it twice. ;)

I know. It had to hurt being a Canucks fan back then.

Look at the bright side - The Canucks have played for the cup 3 times whereas the Sabres have only played for it twice. ;)

But you guys have a brighter future than us. All those draft picks and good drafting... I do have one question.

If you guys do try to get Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel seeing as that you guys will be a top 2-5 pick again, would you be willing to trade either Reinhart, Girgensons, and/or Grigorenko? Seeing as that all three centers have 1st line center potential, you could trade one of them to get some decent, young veterans to even things out with your youth. Then, rather than having a Girgensons or a Sam Reinhart on your third line, you get a dedicated third liner in the future so that every line has a mix of skill, and ..well, you know what I mean ;)

Archived