The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van to Pitt part 1 and Van to Ott part 2

1994_fan

in light that our 'core' might be stale, I really don't believe that but what if trader Jim wanted to make a change?

1st part:

To Pittsburgh - Burrows, Richardson, Hansen. I won't get into the financials, I'm just going for "would they be good fit" part. Burrows as we know is clutch and would be a great compliment along either Sid or Malkin. Richardson would fit nicely on their 3rd line which would allow Suter perhaps to move to the 2nd line and Malkin to play wing. Hansen is another top 9 forward... I just throw him in for...

To Vancouver - Dumoulin and Harrington and 2nd rounder. Both these kids could replace our current bottom D pair any day of the week. And or can continue maturing for next year. Why not Despres or Maatta? Because Pitts will just laugh in our face.

2nd part:

To Vancouver - Methot, Z.Smith. Methot will do these things for us, fill the crater/black hole/ abyss left by Hamhuis next to Bieska. Bring in extra muscle to the back end and eat up minutes to lessen the load on Edler and Tanev. Smith is a good dependable 3/4 line center!! who can also play effectively wing. So we can either move Horvat up one line or line him up next to him and place Matthias on the 4th.

To Ottawa - Corrado, Kassian. Corrado IMO is not in Jim/Willie's plans otherwise he would have started and Weber would have walked. Kassian IMO has frustrated one more coach in Willie and probably some team members... I recall Richardson calling him a project just like Torts. Regardless, Kassian just doesn't seem to be going anywhere other than down in our current line up.

Here's what the lines would look like if these trades were made:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Vey Bonino Jensen

Matthias Horvat Higgins

Sestito Smith Dorsett

**or at least these guys in some other alignment mix**

Edler Tanev

Methot Bieska/Hamhuis (once he's back)

Stanton Sbiza

Minor call up:

Harrington, Dumoulin,

I'm not saying in any way that these trades aren't fair value.

I am saying that Hansen is currently one of our hardest working players, game in game out, and IMO he's worth keeping cause he's arguably one of the best 4th liners in the NHL. I just don't like the idea of trading him. It depends how NHL ready Dumoulin is. I haven't seen him play but if he can come into the lineup and make a difference i'd consider it.

Also consider Richardson is a UFA at season's end and Hansen and Burrows have MNTC's and NTC's respectively. You can't know for sure if you could even do this trade.

The Ottowa trade seems like a lateral move. IMO

1. This proposal creates quite an imbalance between forwards and defencemen on the Canucks.

At forward-Canucks' depth is gutted. Even with promoting Jensen and making Sestito a regular, you have both playing in the 4 lines with nobody left for depth. Even with no injury at all, the plan to roll 4 lines goes out the window-it is hard to see WD playing a line with Zack Smith and Tom Sestito 10 minutes a game. Any injury makes things worse. The team would be left dangerously short of forwards this year. Also, with Matthias, Dorsett, and Sestito being unrestricted free agents at the end of this season, it could leave the Canucks even more dangerously short of forwards for next season.

All 3 forwards going to Pittsburgh in this proposal, though on this forum people love to hate them, would be difficult to replace from within the organization.

On Defence-Canucks would be left with with Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, Weber, Stanton, Methot

At the end of the season for each of Dumoulin and Harrington their waiver exemption periods would expire next summer and they couldn't be sent back down to the minors.

That's 8 defencemen this year that would have to be kept in Vancouver (I don't think any would make it through waivers) and two more for next year, the two the proposal with Pittsburgh trades for-so obviously having traded for them you are high enough on them not to want to lose them. Canucks would then have 10 d-men (not including Biega, Sanguinetti or Andersson.)

Pretty clearly some other d-men would need to be moved or the trades modified somewhat.

2. Both Burrows and Hansen have clauses in their contracts that mean they'd have to approve the deals (Hansen's is a modified ntc, Burrows a full ntc.)

3. Many would be wary of trading Kassian, and of acquiring Methot this soon after his return from a back injury.

4. I might be missing something, but don't see a place for Richardson in the Penguins' lineup.

Thanks for your responses :)

These proposals were simply a spur of the moment thing, without taking into account most everything. Certainly 'tyhee' you make very valid points which I obviously didn't think a moment about.

I think overall, what I was going for is: could the Vancouver players be traded to Pitts and Ott for enough value on the return? Personally I think these 2 teams are good trade matches.

This is probably the 1st time in a long time I am looking forward to the trade deadline to see what Jim does. Not sure about you all but MG had taken that part of the game out for Vancouver.

in light that our 'core' might be stale, I really don't believe that but what if trader Jim wanted to make a change?

1st part:

To Pittsburgh - Burrows, Richardson, Hansen. I won't get into the financials, I'm just going for "would they be good fit" part. Burrows as we know is clutch and would be a great compliment along either Sid or Malkin. Richardson would fit nicely on their 3rd line which would allow Suter perhaps to move to the 2nd line and Malkin to play wing. Hansen is another top 9 forward... I just throw him in for...

To Vancouver - Dumoulin and Harrington and 2nd rounder. Both these kids could replace our current bottom D pair any day of the week. And or can continue maturing for next year. Why not Despres or Maatta? Because Pitts will just laugh in our face.

2nd part:

To Vancouver - Methot, Z.Smith. Methot will do these things for us, fill the crater/black hole/ abyss left by Hamhuis next to Bieska. Bring in extra muscle to the back end and eat up minutes to lessen the load on Edler and Tanev. Smith is a good dependable 3/4 line center!! who can also play effectively wing. So we can either move Horvat up one line or line him up next to him and place Matthias on the 4th.

To Ottawa - Corrado, Kassian. Corrado IMO is not in Jim/Willie's plans otherwise he would have started and Weber would have walked. Kassian IMO has frustrated one more coach in Willie and probably some team members... I recall Richardson calling him a project just like Torts. Regardless, Kassian just doesn't seem to be going anywhere other than down in our current line up.

Here's what the lines would look like if these trades were made:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Vey Bonino Jensen

Matthias Horvat Higgins

Sestito Smith Dorsett

**or at least these guys in some other alignment mix**

Edler Tanev

Methot Bieska/Hamhuis (once he's back)

Stanton Sbiza

Minor call up:

Harrington, Dumoulin,

Not bad. I would take it. We lose 3 roster forwards so I would assume we would also have to do another deal where we try and flip someone like stanton or weber, maybe both, for a forward for depth reasons. I don't really like the Ott part but the Pitt part actually seems alright to me.

Edit: thinking about it for an extra 15 minutes, if the pitt deal did go through, we would probably have to flip either Eddie Lack or Jacob Markstrom for an actual impact forward. It's an interesting option in asset management, unlikely but not bad for a proposal. Especially considering your low number of posts around here

Archived