Canucks Community

VAN-BOS Proposal

Canucks trade

Z.Kassian

2015 2nd round pick

Bruins trade

L.Eriksson

J.Morrow

Bruins free up cap while getting Kassian and a 2nd. They are loaded with D talent and can afford to move Morrow. Canucks get a better but veteran forward and a solid D prospect.

Flame away.

Maybe for just Kassian, but adding the 2nd and the Canucks are giving up too much IMO.

I disagree. Not sure if you undervalue Morrow and/or Eriksson or overvalue Kassian.

who's this Morrow kid?

No to Erikson. Gets concussions

Drafted 23th overall in the 2011 draft

A mobile and aggressive two-way defenseman who can play in all situations, Joe Morrow has seen his stock rise meteorically since his draft year in 2010-11. Playing with poise and maturity far beyond his years, Morrow possesses the ability to retrieve the puck from his own zone and start the play up ice. His puck-distribution ability is top notch and he has a hard and heavy shot that typically hits the net. He also owns a high hockey IQ and does an excellent job of keeping his head up when moving the puck up ice and carrying it along the blue line.

Morrow is a solid D prospect and would instantly be our most NHL ready prospect defensman.

Pretty realistic considering the fact that I doubt we'll get a good young D-man like Krug for an old forward with ease. Boston know what they're doing and they're built to win now as well as later, like the Canucks.

Ideally, I'd like to make a trade like this:

Higgins and Bieksa for Krug

Krug completely replaces Bieksa on the roster, and replaces him well. We've got enough forwards to fill Higgins' 15 goals, 35 points and Jensen/Shinkaruk could start working into the NHL.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Burrows

Richardson - Matthias - Vey

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Krug

Sbisa - Stanton

Pretty realistic considering the fact that I doubt we'll get a good young D-man like Krug for an old forward with ease. Boston know what they're doing and they're built to win now as well as later, like the Canucks.

Ideally, I'd like to make a trade like this:

Higgins and Bieksa for Krug

Krug completely replaces Bieksa on the roster, and replaces him well. We've got enough forwards to fill Higgins' 15 goals, 35 points and Jensen/Shinkaruk could start working into the NHL.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Burrows

Richardson - Matthias - Vey

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Krug

Sbisa - Stanton

A bit of wishful thinking there. Boston doesn't have the cap and I doubt that Higgins and Bieksa waive their NTC.

I disagree. Not sure if you undervalue Morrow and/or Eriksson or overvalue Kassian.

Drafted 23th overall in the 2011 draft

A mobile and aggressive two-way defenseman who can play in all situations, Joe Morrow has seen his stock rise meteorically since his draft year in 2010-11. Playing with poise and maturity far beyond his years, Morrow possesses the ability to retrieve the puck from his own zone and start the play up ice. His puck-distribution ability is top notch and he has a hard and heavy shot that typically hits the net. He also owns a high hockey IQ and does an excellent job of keeping his head up when moving the puck up ice and carrying it along the blue line.

Morrow is a solid D prospect and would instantly be our most NHL ready prospect defensman.

I'd rather keep the 2nd because there's a chance we can find a diamond in the rough ( see Bowey, Subban, Weber etc), but if that's the scouting report on Morrow, I'd be willing to give up something similar in value.

2014's 2nd rounder was equal to Vey, and it could be worth a bit more in 2015.

Would you trade Kassian and Vey for Eriksson and Morrow? I just think it's a bit too much from our side considering Boston is having cap troubles.

Also, I don't think we even have cap space for Eriksson as it stands.

2014's 2nd rounder was equal to Vey, and it could be worth a bit more in 2015.

Would you trade Kassian and Vey for Eriksson and Morrow? I just think it's a bit too much from our side considering Boston in having cap troubles.

Also, I don't think we even have cap space for Eriksson as it stands.

Eriksson is an upgrade on Higgins or Burrows on our 2nd line which would give us a bit more depth and he and/or Vrbata can be flipped for an early pick/propsect next season since they will be a upcoming UFAs. He would be another stop gap for our prospects.

Morrow is a solid D prospect who is on the cusp of making the NHL and probably would of if not for the amount of young talent Boston already has. He has higher upside than anyone in our d prospect pool and even some of our roster players.

I don't think Boston does it without a pick/prospect coming their way. Only downside is that we lose size in Kassian.

Eriksson is an upgrade on Higgins or Burrows on our 2nd line which would give us a bit more depth and he and/or Vrbata can be flipped for an early pick/propsect next season since they will be a upcoming UFAs. He would be another stop gap for our prospects.

Morrow is a solid D prospect who is on the cusp of making the NHL and probably would of if not for the amount of young talent Boston already has. He has higher upside than anyone in our d prospect pool and even some of our roster players.

I don't think Boston does it without a pick/prospect coming their way. Only downside is that we lose size in Kassian.

I'm aware of how good they are and how they can benefit our team. I still think it's too much we're giving up to a team in need of cap space.

Maybe for just Kassian, but adding the 2nd and the Canucks are giving up too much IMO.

I'm firmly in Pineapple's corner here, but I'll state my reasons.

There was another thread suggesting a straight 1 on 1, Kassian for Eriksson. I'll repeat what I wrote there:

"For those that believe the future is now, this is a great proposal. Eriksson today is a better player than Kassian today-and I say that being reasonably high on both of them and with the realization that the Canucks probably need toughness more than a former Byng candidate.

For a rebuilding team, which is what I see the Canucks being, it is completely counter-productive to trade a 24 year old useful player with upside for a 29 year old useful player with concussion issues, a cap hit of $4.25 million and whose best scoring days appear to be behind him. imo it would be a huge error for the Canucks to give up youth for short term help.

Could Eriksson bounce back, become the player he was and play longer than Kassian? Sure, stranger things have happened. The likelihood is small.

The Canucks have succeeded in being a competitive team this year. That's great, be happy for it and hope it continues-but imo that should not deter the Canucks from their goal of rebuilding for the future. ... "

There's a difference here in that you've thrown in Morrow for a 2nd as part of the deal.

The Canucks are in a situation where they want to remain competitive, but are clearly rebuilding as the core from the glory years is aging. To remain competitive they don't want to make moves to hurt the team, but imo it is also vital not to trade any of the future for the present.

The present-this deal would be ok for the Canucks, though I have real concerns about taking on Eriksson's cap hit.

The future-this proposal comes down pretty much to Kassian and a 2015-2nd for Morrow. (There's also some small chance that Eriksson might be useful for the Canucks in several years or Kassian will become useless in a short time.)

I'd be really disappointed if the Canucks made a deal like this one. That's nothing against Eriksson as a player-but I think if anything of value is given up for an apparently declining player, in the Canucks' situation it should be another declining (or about to be declining) player going back. A rebuilding team should not be willing to take anything from the future to help the present.

Canucks trade

Z.Kassian

2015 2nd round pick

Bruins trade

L.Eriksson

J.Morrow

Bruins free up cap while getting Kassian and a 2nd. They are loaded with D talent and can afford to move Morrow. Canucks get a better but veteran forward and a solid D prospect.

Flame away.

I've been working on and tweaking at a similar deal. Think of it as a facilitator deal which helps the Bruins with some of their current shortcomings and frees up cap. It also helps them make the deal which they really want to make with another team. The Canucks get help now, and for the future.

To Boston - Matthias, Sestito, Vey, maybe a 2015 4th? (Vancouver), *a crapload of cap space* (approx $2.5 million this year/ $5 million in 2015)

To Vancouver - Eriksson, Morrow, McQuaid, 2015 2nd (Philadelphia), 2016 2nd (NY Islanders) or 2015 1st (Boston) - their choice.

Boston gets bottom-6 forward size and impact with Matthias and Sestito. Matthias is a good checker, physical player and can provide some offense. There has been some talk that the Bruins are missing that 4th line "tough guy" (think Thornton) which Sestito can be for them. Vey provides some future on the wing. They also get immediate cap relief to help them with a rumoured trade for a top-6 (eg. St. Louis) as Eriksson hasn't been as good a fit with the Bruins; the 4th fills in a bit for their lost picks.

Vancouver gets Eriksson a top-6 winger who is better suited to their style for the remainder of this season and 2015: Morrow, a d-man prospect who could become a top pairing guy; McQuaid fills holes in the defense for right now (UFA at the end of the season); and the picks pay for the cap space and risk at taking on McQuaid and Eriksson due to their past injury issues.

regards,

G.

Just an opinion > But Eriksson and Morrow were the signature return for Seguin. Smith and some cap space (initially used for Iginla) were the bonus inclusions.

I personally doubt you can command the two of them with Kassian.

You forget to remember that Eriksson's value isn't what it was leaving Dallas. With the Stars he was a 1st line player, now he's a 2nd line player. Boston's cap issues also show the need to shed cap as they have multiple RFA's looking for raises. All that being said, I pointed out last off season, before we signed vrbata, that we should aquire Eriksson. He played with the Sedins in Vancouver in 2010 an they had instant chemistry for team Sweden.

To Bos:

Higgins

2nd rd pick

C Prospect

To Van:

Eriksson

Morrow

What scares me is now we have Burrows and Eriksson who take up well over $8m in cap.

And looking at that trade, is Eriksson really that much better than Higgins to where we need an upgrade? Hindsight is 20/20.

@gollumpus, you can't be serious? Lol

OMG, you said "Lol". I must be horribly wrong, or you under value what the Canucks have and over value what they have.

How much value do you place on cap space? Look at the Garrison trade just this year. There have been similar deals over the years. Cap is valuable. Boston is also looking at going deep into the playoffs, again. They need to make changes and in order to make those changes they need cap space.

Go back and re-evaluate the proposal I put forward (after you've gotten over your hysterics of course :)). It helps the Bruins fill a couple of holes on their bottom-6, and it facilitates Boston making moves to improve their top-6. They also get a promising young winger. And they don't really give up that much for right now, other than Eriksson (under performing for them, high caphit) and McQuaid (upcoming UFA), Morrow (the main acquisition for the Canucks) and a couple of high picks.

I say they get off cheap.

regards,

G.

OMG, you said "Lol". I must be horribly wrong, or you under value what the Canucks have and over value what they have.

How much value do you place on cap space? Look at the Garrison trade just this year. There have been similar deals over the years. Cap is valuable. Boston is also looking at going deep into the playoffs, again. They need to make changes and in order to make those changes they need cap space.

Go back and re-evaluate the proposal I put forward (after you've gotten over your hysterics of course :)). It helps the Bruins fill a couple of holes on their bottom-6, and it facilitates Boston making moves to improve their top-6. They also get a promising young winger. And they don't really give up that much for right now, other than Eriksson (under performing for them, high caphit) and McQuaid (upcoming UFA), Morrow (the main acquisition for the Canucks) and a couple of high picks.

I say they get off cheap.

regards,

G.

Sestito holds no value so youre sending vey and matthias for eriksson 2 good dmen and 2 high round picks. Doesnt matter how much cap they are letting go, thats not a fair trade. You may be scratching the surface if you remove the 2 picks, but IMO cap relief isnt worth a prospect and 2 draft picks.

Archived