The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't care if Miller gets blown out sometimes... He's got a 2.57-1 win/loss record

*Buzzsaw*

I think what everyone wants is consistency. Often when he lets in one goal he follows it up by another 3. Either that or hes solid and reliable. There is no in between. What happens when he has 4 bad games in the playoffs? Offense has to bail him out with 4+ goals...

Now, I'm happy with him. Don't get me wrong. Our defense isn't helping either, BXA seems to have constant brainfarts that don't help.

Just a little more consistency... Everyone on the team has room for improvement, I find it strange people are actually accepting mediocrity? Its all constructive and if you want to have a deep playoff run we need Miller, the forwards and the D to be playing at the top of their game.

It would be cool to know his save percentage when we are defending a 1 goal lead. I don't think I have seen him blow a game in which we were leading. It's just at times when the Canucks aren't playing very well he doesn't hold us in games. For him to to do that though, he'd have to make a lot of big saves on odd man rushes and on plays where the Canucks get pinned in their zone. Millers stats are weird and misleading. He plays good enough to win when the Canucks are on their game, but gets hung out to dry and the flood gates open when the Canucks aren't on their game.

Maybe it's not just Miller who needs to be more consistent, but the team as a whole. I agree with the OP though. Don't care about his stats as long as the wins keep coming.

Guest Cuporbust2

All those who whine about Miller getting blown out occasionally... RELAX.

As long as he continues to win more substantially more than double the number of games he loses, and does that while playing the bulk of the team's games, I don't see anything to worry about.

Although everyone was talking about the scoring against the Coyotes... meanwhile Miller was quietly going about his business... he faced 39 shots and had a .974 save percentage... not exactly shabby.

The next time all you drama queens get your knickers in a twist....

...go back and look at Miller's overall record.

As long as he wins ? U cares about his save percentage ? Good call. Haha. Why so they even have those stats right ? The best way to see if a goaltender is going to be good enough once playoff time rolls around is wins???? Are u kidding me ?

As long as he wins ? U cares about his save percentage ? Good call. Haha. Why so they even have those stats right ? The best way to see if a goaltender is going to be good enough once playoff time rolls around is wins???? Are u kidding me ?

On the flip side of that, Luongos' save percentage is exceptional so far this year... Is Florida going to make the playoffs?

The point is is that a W is a team effort, same as a L. While yes Millers' numbers haven't been outstanding, he gives us a chance to win every night with a couple of exceptions this season. Not only that, for whatever reason the team seems to give the guy goal support compared to Lack. So what is the problem here exactly? Is there anybody out there who honestly felt like we'd be 6th in the west, after a 5 game losing streak? Cuz I sure as hell didn't.

Should've never signed Miller. Lack>Miller. Also look how Markstrom is developing. Now we're stuck with Miller for 3 years while Eddie is 26. Do we really wanna stick with Miller for 3 years? Give Lack is chance at the age of 29?? He won't stay.

We wouldn't of gotten to where we are without Miller, that's a given.

Also come playoffs I want the G with 50+ games of experience in the playoffs vs the G with no experience whatsoever.

The argument that "his win percentage isn't sustainable given his SV%/GAA" doesn't make sense to me....why not the other way around? Maybe it's his below-average SV% that will have to rise to meet his win%?

Miller has had games where he's been brilliant and games where he's been downright terrible, but so has the team in general. Just this month:
- We were great against Pittsburgh - IMO our best game this season, we absolutely manhandled the Pens and made Sid and Malkin look like 3rd-liners.

-Then we went and played a few stinkers against Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal - no one was particularly great in those games.

-Then we came home and played the stinkiest stinker of all against the Rangers - both Miller and the team were doubleplusbad

-Then we squeaked past Calgary

-Then we annihilated Arizona - a game in which Miller was so good no one noticed he was there, because the Canucks took all of his rebounds up-ice and scored.

I expect the extreme highs and lows to level out in January/February and then we will see what sort of team, and what sort of goaltender, we really have. I expect Miller's stats to rise modestly and the team will stay respectable enough to get into the post-season without overmuch drama - say 3rd in the Pacific.

Until at least late January I think it's still too small a sample size to define Miller or the team accurately. The next couple months will really define our season - I'm cautiously optimistic it will turn out fairly well.

Go Canucks Go!

Miller makes the big game winning, clutch saves just the way Luongo used to MOST OF THE TIME. Sure he's going to cost us a couple of games, but percentage-wise and probability-wise I'd much rather Miller in net than a kid like Lack who we still need to groom a bit more. That 40 game season last year really didn't help, and no kid should be brought into a losing team, but Lack isn't ready for a full-time workload. Benning is trying to back his development up a little bit and get him back to a backup role with maybe 20 starts this season (with more coming later down the stretch).

When he is in net, and we lose, we lose BIG. That is the problem. So far it hasn't been a massive issue, as we/he's been able to rebound the very next game (for the most part). So at least when he loses, it's pretty certain that he'll rebound.

It would be nice to have some middle ground though. Because we could have won a lot of those games had he been in top forum. All well, like I said so far it hasn't been a big issue quite yet, we are still winning games and looking pretty good.

Down the stretch he really will have to work on that, or maybe if he is tired be more willing to let Lack have a night in - not saying he doesn't like to share the net, but wouldn't be surprised that if he is tired he doesn't really inform people, because lets face it every goalie wants to play every game.

We wouldn't of gotten to where we are without Miller, that's a given.

That's an opinion I happen to disagree with about as strongly as it's possible to disagree with an opinion.

Should've never signed Miller. Lack>Miller. Also look how Markstrom is developing. Now we're stuck with Miller for 3 years while Eddie is 26. Do we really wanna stick with Miller for 3 years? Give Lack is chance at the age of 29?? He won't stay.

I was disappointed with Miller's signing and am on record here defending Lack's play, but as the great 21st century philosopher Jared McCann once said, it is what it is. Miller is out #1 goalie and has proven himself over his career to be a capable starter. I'm guessing Miller will be fine in the new year.

Early on, the team was scoring at a high rate and Canucks often didn't need-and sometimes didn't get-great goaltending. There's little reason to think Canucks will score at a high rate in the New Year despite the demonstration of Christmas spirit from the Coyotes' goaltenders Monday night, so my expectation is that the Canucks goaltending will be far more important in the next few months than it was early in the season.

As other's have suggested, let's wait and see how the season plays out.

Miller has been Grant Fuhr-esque to this point in the season and it's worked out pretty well in the win/loss columns. Problem is that this isn't the 80s and our team isn't the Oilers of that era; Miller needs to be a bit better and on the same hand the rest of the team needs to tighten up as well. If we make the playoffs it will be a short run if these things dont improve.

Don't agree that Lack is better than Miller. I like Eddie, but he was just not ready to be a starter. I hope that he and Miller will be splitting the games more evenly in the second half of the season.

\

Marks is just doing what Marks does...tearing it up in the AHL, I'm not getting excited until he proves he can take it to the next level.

Here is an interesting connection with Ryan Miller and the Canucks.

In 1993 the Canucks selected 6’ 6”, 229 lb. Mike Wilson with their first round selection. Then in 1995 they traded Wilson, along with Michael Peca and a first-round pick to Buffalo, in exchange for Alexander Mogilny. The Sabres unloaded Wilson in 1999 to the Panthers for Rhett Warrener and a throw-in fifth-round pick in the 1999 draft.

That fifth-round pick was used by the Sabres to draft Hobey Baker Award winner Ryan Miller out of Michigan State University. And now the circle is complete.

Dear OP,

You'll care in the playoffs.

My god it makes me incredibly happy that we're even discussing this.

And OP, wins and losses are a team stat. That doesn't mean he didn't help us win, but this win percentage could be unsustainable if Miller can't be more consistent. In an extreme example, you could let in weak 5 goals a game, but if your team scores an average of 8, you'd still have a good record. It doesn't mean you're the best goalie for the team, it just means your offense is good.

'I don't care if Miller gets blown out sometimes... He's got a 2.57-1 win/loss record'

The Canucks have that record, Miller was just in net :o

Him winning today doesn't make the days he blew disappear

so when we win it's a team effort and when we "blow it" it'sMiller's fault, lol ok

the goalie graveyard is alive and well

Archived