The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*** Anyone else tired of " SWEDISH" TYPE of hockey ***

carlweezer

1st of all , this is not a Canadians vs Euro thread. This is a skill/finesse vs Grit/skill thread.

Dont get me wrong, I think it's a tragedy how much Vancouver has under appreciated the Sedin Twins. I mean when are we ever going to get league mvps on our team again. They will go down as the best players to put on Canucks jerseys and they did it without the hype and support that other superstars get from their home cities.

Having said that, after 2 decades of Naslund and Sedins I'm ready for a different brand of Canuck hockey.

Our team identity since 2001 has been skill and finesse. Our identity is based on how guys like Sedins, Naslund ,Eberle, Joe Thornton play.

I want a change. I want our identity to reflect how guys like koptar, datsyuk, Getzlaf, iginla play.

I think Benning had the vision right when he said we need more Meat and Potatoes. This is why he picked Virtanen over ehlers/nylander

I'm excited for the new generation of Canucks with skill, Speed and will run you over and walk that fine line of aggressive or dangerous hockey.

I'm excited for the next wave of good ole Canadian Boys to lead us.

Virtanen, Horvat , MCCANN , Cassels , Kassian , Gaunce, Shinkaruk.

Hell 2 of those guys have been suspended for 10 game or more for walking that dangerous line.

I believe Vancouver loves these type of players and will get behind them more so than they did for soft finesse players like naslund and the Sedins.

It's why Vancouver loved Trevor Linder and Todd bertuzzi Soo much.

Dont get me wrong , we need skill and finesse, I just dont think it should be what our identity is. Skill and finesse ans soft type players shouldn't lead us.

Look at recent cup champs.

Did Kane lead the hawks ? I'd say no. I'd say Toews and Seabrook/ Keith did.

Did Gaborik lead the kings ? No. Kopitar , Doughty, Brown , Carter did.

Did kreiji lead the Bruins. No. Bergeron , chara, Lucic, marchand did.

This isn't to single out swedish players that's why I put it in quotes. just so happens our last 2 generation leaders have been nazzy and Sedins. I'm more so talking about the soft skilled players , I'm including Canadian players on that list too like Brendan Morrison. They need to be passengers on our team not the main leaders.

I hate the "good ole' Canadian boys" thing it's soo Don Cherry. There are other countries with amazing players such as Sweden. Some of the best players of all time are not Canadian. Jagr, Lidstrom, Hasek. I love a well rounded team with skill and grit. Crashing the net for every goal can be a little boring the Sedins make you go "how'd they do that" and you are in awe. Being grit only means you don't have much talent, ask NJ that's historically what they have done and they got cups that way. But it's not the way I really want us to win one.

We were treated to Tortorella hockey last season, remember.

Can"eh"dian hockey

BTW Cassels is American, he just got cut off Team USA

Lol this isn't a Canadian vs European thread. It's a skill and finesse vs grit and skill thread.

And Cassels is dual citizen. But who cares. I'm not talking about nationality.

The future is dim in Canuck land; once the sedins retire we are screwed. People overhype our prospects; while they may develop we are still one of the weakest teams in the league in the prospect department

I agree with this tho you can't blame the Canucks because of where they have been drafting due to reg season success. also at the deadlines they traded picks for players that they thought could help them win the cup that given year. It's the price you pay being contenders

Archived