The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cal/TBay (proposal on Giordano)

Like mulling over deals that meet the needs for both sides. If one considers TBay an immediate contender, & that Calgary is 3~5 years away, I'd see this as a sensible deal.

Top D-men seem the most precious resource, & Gio is signed for another season at only 4 mill.

Tampa is so loaded up front, & I believe they landed 2 more 1st's in the Callahan-heist. Yzerman should go all-in, while the East is up for grabs.

Cal:Giordano & Ortio(young gt)

TBay: Drouin, Vasilevsky, NYR/TBay 2015 1st(Cal gets the better pick).

2nd idea: Tampa sends a package with Killorn/Kucherov, a 1st(whichever 2015 is higher), & Koekkoek/DeAngelo

-Bit of guess-work involved here, as I admittedly haven't seen all prospects in play(value may be well off). I realize Giordano is having a season worthy of a great captain, yet such deals could sure set the Flames up, long-term.

Anyone else see a nice fit here? How would you adjust value/packages?

^CT, You may be right, & I may be crazy(sorry Mr Joel); yet I see parallels between the current TBay incarnation & the late '80s Flamers..Gawd, them guys had a stable of 50 goal-snipers..to a point they even squandered Brett Hull...

Nieuwyndyk...Stamkos

Fleury..Johnson

Gilmour..Callahan

Roberts..Killorn/Connolly?

Bullard, Joe Mullen, Loob, et al

(all these Flames potted 50, except perhaps the versatile Roberts)

You might also compare the latter Flame fwds with the depth TBay has. Calgary had decent D too: MacInnis, Suter, Macoun & others. Vernon was a wildcard, as Bishop is now. Joel Otto played a role akin to Brian Boyle.

Flamers swung a key deal to bring in Rob Ramage..Might be a parallel for TBay?

Yzerman would be cognizant of all these lessons...

^AP..Seriously? Someone offers you a 2013(stud year) top-3 talent, highly regarded gt prospect, AND another pick in this upcoming draft, & you wouldn't really mull it over? Afraid to ask, what would you expect them to add?

my bad... I think I worded this poorly.

I don't think any team is willing to offer that much

^AP..Seriously? Someone offers you a 2013(stud year) top-3 talent, highly regarded gt prospect, AND another pick in this upcoming draft, & you wouldn't really mull it over? Afraid to ask, what would you expect them to add?

But that's just it - Tampa would be crazy to offer that for Giordano when they already have Hedman, and have added supporting pieces like Garrison. They'd rather keep all those things as each individual piece is worth more in value to Tampa than the corresponding piece from Calgary.

Ya I don't think either team considers this. Tampa has great pieces all around, both youth and veterans. Although Giordana would be an amazing addition, they are giving up so much young talent in this deal. And Calgary is finally achieving, so trading their star player for a rebuild package is a shot to the gut even if it long term would be a great deal.

No way would I even consider this from Calgary's point of view. I have never been a Drouin fan, I still think he rode McKinnons coat tails into his high draft position. Plus TB has Hedman whose not even in his prime yet. Why would Calgary give up their near PPG Dman(And Captain) who still has 5ish years of really solid play left in him for another forward prospect. We have lots and lots of depth at the forward positions in terms of prospects. Plus Giordano is doing great in mentoring the other Dmen here, ie Brodie, and to a lesser extent Russell.

Cal-dude, Thanks for your insight/response..btw, do you see the parallels between the current Lightning lineup(Yzerman's assembled), & the late-'80s Flames, which I mentioned a few posts back?

I lived in Cal at that time, for a few yrs(displaced Nux-fan), & certainly recall their late-80s dominance.

Cal-dude, Thanks for your insight/response..btw, do you see the parallels between the current Lightning lineup(Yzerman's assembled), & the late-'80s Flames, which I mentioned a few posts back?

I lived in Cal at that time, for a few yrs(displaced Nux-fan), & certainly recall their late-80s dominance.

Im not sure, Yzerman has assembled quite a group, I think his drafting record was fantastic, the only change I would have made, would be to pass on Drouin and grab Jones to further tighten up the D Core. Yeah I read your post, your right about the Flames having a glut of 50 goal scorers, and we lost alot of them in crappy deals or let them walk IE Gilmour, Hull etc. Those were the good old days, I don't think in todays game of salary caps and league parity that you would be able to see teams such as the 80s Oilers/Islanders/Flames/Canadiens assembled anymore. In a way its too bad, it is kind of nice having some teams be soo dominant, nowadays anyone can win on any night.

Archived