The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Uncertainty with Kassian: "The coach doesn't see me fitting in right now" + trade talk

TheRussianRocket.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/01/kassian-the-coach-doesnt-see-me-fitting-in-right-now/

Jan.1

Kass voicing displeasure of sitting out

Zack Kassian will be a healthy scratch tonight when the Vancouver Canucks play host to the L.A. Kings.

Kassian has not played since Nov. 25, in part, due to a finger injury.
According to coach Willie Desjardins, with the Canucks collecting points in four straight, including an impressive 3-1 win in San Jose, it's tough to make a lineup change.
"(He) has done everything we've asked (and) worked really hard," said Desjardins per The Vancouver Province. "It's just hard some times. You've got tough line-up decisions. When you have guys that are playing well, some times you want to stay with it."
Kassian has two goals and five points in 17 games this season to go along with a minus-5 rating.
"It's definitely frustrating. I've prepared myself the way I have to to play, but the team is playing well right now," Kassian said. "The finger is 100%. It's been 100% for a little while now."
"The coach doesn't see me fitting in right now. That's the coach's decision. It's definitely frustrating. I want to play. But there's nothing you can do about it. You can sit here and whine all day. It's not going to help. When I get my chance, I'm not going to come back out, I can tell you that."
Kassian has missed 18 games due to multiple injuries this season.
The 23-year-old netted a career-high 14 goals and 29 points in 73 games last season.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=10671801

Dec.21

Kass not happy to hear name in trade rumours

VANCOUVER - Zack Kassian was back skating with his Vancouver Canuck teammates Sunday and he hopes to be back in the lineup next week to attempt to salvage his 2014-15 NHL season.

The hulking winger has been out since Nov. 22 with a broken pinky finger on his right hand. Because it was a displaced fracture, doctors inserted two pins to help the healing process. The pins were removed Saturday.
"I got the pins out last night so there are still holes in the bones a bit," Kassian explained Sunday. "It's fine to practise but you can't shoot too well. I should be healed and ready to go in a week or so. There is still some pain when I shoot and that's because the pins just came out and there is a little irritation. That should go away in a couple of days."
Kassian has just five points — two goals, three assists — in 17 appearances this season. He will miss his 11th straight game Monday when the Canucks entertain the Arizona Coyotes. He also missed five games in early November with a knee issue.
It seems his season has hardly started even though Christmas is practically upon us.
"Obviously I came in with high expectations, a lot of people did," said Kassian, 23. "I've had injuries but I'm not using that as an excuse. I know when I come back I need to be really good and I've used this time in the past few weeks to look back. I know I can be better and I will be better. I can't tell you how excited I am to get back."
Kassian suffered the injury early in the third period of the Canucks 2-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils. He blocked a shot with the hand in the first period but it was a third-period slash that did the damage.
"The finger had a tough go in that game," he nodded. "It's kind of a wuss injury, a little pinky finger keeping you out that long. But it was so displaced, they had to put it back together. (At least) the legs feel good. I've been bag skating and working out every day. It's one of those injuries where it sucks but, at the same time, it's pretty good because you can still keep your skating legs and work out extremely hard. So I felt really good out there today."
During his time away, Kassian's name was bandied about as a player who might be available in trade. He conceded he wasn't happy to hear it.
"I love Vancouver and I love to play for this team," he responded. "But that's the business we're in. Is it true? I don't know. But, like I said, I have a lot to prove when I get back. I know that I've kind of under-achieved so far and I'm looking forward to getting back and working my way into the lineup and being the guy that I was last year for the last stretch of the season."

@VanCanucks:

Kassian said he's 100%, ready to roll and is frustrated. "When I get my chance, I'm not coming out, I'll tell you that" #Canucks

@imacVanSun:

Benning to ticket holders: #Canucks are NOT shopping Kassian or trying to trade him, but other teams are asking about winger.

...cmon Willie, ffs! This is so frustrating and me being a fan feeling so pissed off, I can't imagine what Kassian is going through :mad:

I mean I understand both sides - one side, Zack showcases great vision and has everything put altogether, and on the flip side, he looks lazy lacking motivation and doesn't battle along the boards for puck battles and when backchecking - but he's never been given a chance.

The way Zack's been treated ever since arriving here is really sickening. He's had 3 coaches and all 3 have gave him the shorter end of the stick. At least JB settled things down a bit saying he's not looking to trade Kassian but hello, play the damn guy! It's not hard to see why teams are calling for Kass. He's not been given a chance, coach isn't playing him, Kass publicly voices he's upset...one would think you could trade for him then right!? Wrong, cause the GM says he's not wanting to trade him. This is how smoke starts so fix it.

Kassian is the best complimentary winger we have on our team. Other teams see that but for whatever reason our coaching staff doesn't. He's the best passer on this team not named Sedin and we're putting his worth to no use. He has an awesome locker room friendly attitude, a straight shooter - will call a spade a spade, doesn't bs about anything and is always working to get better.

It especially disgusts me how ever since he's been here, coaches clearly have always favoured some other player(s) over Zack for whatever reason. Currently it's Vey and just take a look: he's already got 2nd line minutes and 1st line PP time before Kassian has even been given a chance! I don't accept that and it's a load of crap. Vey is spoon-fed these minutes and even when he looks shaky he's kept there so he can rebound and get a grasp of things. If it's Kass and he messes up just once, he's demoted and that's the last of it. bs.

Now don't mistake me. I don't have a problem with Vey, but Kassian is the exact type of player you want in the lineup when you play a team like LA. Vey is a good player, but he doesn't excel at any area of the game. He has good skills, but no great skills. Kassian has the skill set to be a game changer. If healthy, he needs to play. Period.

Seeing how Kass has always worked to do what coaches have recommended for his best since day 1, the tables should be turned in his favour. He deserves that to say the least. I'm not a NHL calibre coach by any means, but it's quite obvious what has to be done here. If the Nucks give Kassian a shot and expect him to be perfect for him to keep his spot, he'll never keep it plain and simple. Fact of the matter is he needs to be slotted in there like how Vey has, give him a handful of games (time) for him to get used to things and then you'll see him progress. If we want to be more than just a bubble team, we for one need Kass to develop into the guy we see flashes of. He's not going to do that in the press box after every mistake. Common sense says Zack needs a longer leash for him to see the ice more and become a consistent player without having to worry about being stapled to the press box or demoted to 8 minutes of fourth line hockey when he makes a fluff which he undoubtedly will. Get it together Canucks before you mess this up and shoot yourself in the foot.

/end rant.

He's had 3 coaches and all 3 have gave him the shorter end of the stick.

Maybe Kassian is the issue, rather than three different coaches (all with very different styles).

Personally, I like Kassian and I think he has a ton of potential, but he hasn't done much with the time he's been given. I'd rather see someone more consistent given the minutes than a lazy player who shows flashes of talent here and there.

Happy to hear that he's fired up, give him a chance in the top 9 and I'm sure he'll produce. Seems motivated, happy that he's not blaming injuries 100% for his under performance so far and knows he has to be better! Excited to see what he does!!

Not even a case of play, he hasn't been given a chance or a consistent look. Only then will we get a better understanding of how he is. If he's a top 6er, 3rd liner, 2nd/3rd line tweener...either way, he's an excellent complimentary winger and is a must for the top 9. Just needs to find a home somewhere in the lineup and he's just been moved around too much which I believe will eventually do more harm than good for his development in the near future.

Not even a case of play, he hasn't been given a chance or a consistent look. Only then will we get a better understanding of how he is. If he's a top 6er, 3rd liner, 2nd/3rd line tweener...either way, he's an excellent complimentary winger and is a must for the top 9. Just needs to find a home somewhere in the lineup and he's just been moved around too much which I believe will eventually do more harm than good for his development in the near future.

173 games in the NHL is a pretty good sample size

Stupid

Six players in our top six are over 30.

We need more youth. Contrary to popular belief, not every player is Chelios. I don't want a package of players if they move him, it's gotta be for an upgrade at forward or an upgrade on defense. AND they HAVE to be young.

I think Willie knows what he's doing. This will force Kassian to give it 100% every night.

good kass needs to get fire under him. get him mad. i have no problem with sitting

This has been the case for too long now. It's kind of crossing the point of no return. And that fire under him, it's rather beginning to burn him now imo.

Stupid

I don't want a package of players if they move him, it's gotta be for an upgrade at forward or an upgrade on defense. AND they HAVE to be young.

Offensive d man is needed in the worst way.

Not as picky as you. He just has to be effective.

173 games in the NHL is a pretty good sample size

Alongside 4th line plugs, cool. Averaged around 12 minutes of ice in his career as a Canuck, 48 points as a Canuck 146 games in the blue and green with garbage players for the most part. Give me a break. I'm tired of hearing the same old thing time and time again.

Maybe Kassian is the issue, rather than three different coaches (all with very different styles).

Personally, I like Kassian and I think he has a ton of potential, but he hasn't done much with the time he's been given. I'd rather see someone more consistent given the minutes than a lazy player who shows flashes of talent here and there.

Sestito and now Kassian have voiced displeasure in not being able to play after getting injured. if we are still on a point streak does Hamhuis sit out until we lose or someone else gets injured?

I think willie is very stubborn when players come back from injury

Archived