The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Start taking a look at the US National Development Team at the draft (more)

BanTSN

A lot of the players in this program are now playing in the World Juniors for the US and while being late rounders some of them, look to be fairly effective players going forward.

The program has only been around since 2009-10, but take a look at some names:

Matt Nieto - SJ

Brandon Saad - Chicago

John Hayden - Chicago

Tyler Motte - Chicago

Ryan Hartman - Chicago

Adam Clendening - Chicago

Stephen Johns - Chicago

Anthony Louis - Chicago

Hudson Fasching - LA

Derek Forbort - LA

Nick Shore - LA

Stefan Matteau - NJ

John Merrill - NJ

Reid Boucher - NJ

Miles Wood - NJ

Dylan Larkin - Detroit

Justin Faulk - Carolina

Jason Zucker - Minnesota

Alex Tuch - Minnesota

Jacob Trouba - Winnipeg

John Gibson - Anaheim

Connor Murphy - Arizona

Anthony DeAngelo - Tampa Bay

Will Butcher - Colorado

Will Collins - Columbus

JT Miller - NYR

Seth Jones - Nashville

Chase De Leo - Winnipeg

Henrik Samuelsson - Arizona

Jarred Tinordi - Montreal

Mike McCarron - Montreal

Sonny Milano - Columbus

Jake McCabe - Buffalo

JT Compher - Buffalo

Connor Carrick - Washington

Nicolas Kerdiles - Anaheim

Bryan Rust - Pittsburgh

Jack Eichel - undrafted

Auston Matthews - undrafted

Noah Hanifin - undrafted

Zach Werenski - undrafted

And Thatcher Demko - Vancouver

I mean, holy crap, it seems like a one-stop shop. And yet teams like Chicago are the only people to know about it? Strange.

The Canucks should definitely start taking more of a look at this resource come draft time, because there are some steals to be had, absolutely.

There is another intriguing prospect named Erik Foley. He plays in the USHL. He's draft eligible this year. He's putting up some decent numbers. 24 points in 26 games for the Cedar Rapids.

He's pretty intriguing and is expected to go around the 2nd/3rd round. I'd love to pick him up with our 3rd if he falls there. He's definitely a speedy, play-maker/sniper with lots of potential. I've been following him lately and despite his decent size for a 17 year old(5'11, 175 pounds), he's really strong. He's those kinds of guys you take around the 3rd round. Just like Anthony Duclair, who is only 10 pounds bigger to Erik Foley. I would really want to take a chance on him.

edit: (12 goals, 12 assists)

Yeah those are basically where the best U18/U17 players in the States play some exceptions like Yan, Bittner, Boeser and Novak who play in the WHL, QMJHL and USHL. They get alot of good coaching, play games against the USHL, NCAA and compete together in international competition. Alot of chemistry between all these players aswell, they play together in the U17s and usually the same players go to the U18s the next year so they're together for 2 years.

Milano-Eichel-Tuch played for 2 years with the NTDP and could have played together at the World Juniors but Milano didn't get a spot on that line. So the chemistry helps for competition like the U18s, U17s, World Juniors and sometimes even the World Championship.

Sometimes they get a bit overrated because the best U18 kids in the States play against the USHL which is pretty weak competition. The USHL could be better but Eichel, Hanifin, Tuch, Werenski, etc all go to the NCAA which leaves not alot of talent in the USHL. That's why sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story.

Only AFTER we start paying attention to the Kelowna Rockets first.

Severson, Bowey, Keith, Edler, Weber and so many more....ALL in our back yard

I was so mad when we drafted that useless Mallet instead of Severson. I mean hindsight is 20/20 but everyone could see at the time that was a big mistake.

I was so mad when we drafted that useless Mallet instead of Severson. I mean hindsight is 20/20 but everyone could see at the time that was a big mistake.

Who knows, that Mallet might have gotten us a future shutdown top 4 d-man. A Pedan/Tryamkin line would be pretty damn intimidating. The Great Russian Shutdown Line!

Anyways I do agree that Serverson would definitely have been better.

There is another intriguing prospect named Erik Foley. He plays in the USHL. He's draft eligible this year. He's putting up some decent numbers. 24 points in 26 games for the Cedar Rapids.

He's pretty intriguing and is expected to go around the 2nd/3rd round. I'd love to pick him up with our 3rd if he falls there. He's definitely a speedy, play-maker/sniper with lots of potential. I've been following him lately and despite his decent size for a 17 year old(5'11, 175 pounds), he's really strong. He's those kinds of guys you take around the 3rd round. Just like Anthony Duclair, who is only 10 pounds bigger to Erik Foley. I would really want to take a chance on him.

edit: (12 goals, 12 assists)

we no have third

As much as I agree, a few of the guys you list aren't from the NTDP, just played with the WJC team this year:

De leo has been a winterhawk since he was 16, Wood is a prep school player, Deangelo played only for Sarnia

The program is everything a player could want to be able to develop, and with many of them going NCAA afterwards, it gives the NHL team more time for the guy to develop before having to make a decision

Care to make a comparable list for CHL prospects drafted over a similar time and see if they fare better or worse? Then figure that out percentage wise to see if there's really a reason to draft more in the USND than the CHL or overseas?

Care to make a comparable list for CHL prospects drafted over a similar time and see if they fare better or worse? Then figure that out percentage wise to see if there's really a reason to draft more in the USND than the CHL or overseas?

No.

Honestly.

I'd really like to see that chart or graph over a 3 year period from entrance into league subsequent draft or pass over and overage status

If there was a way to include or compare the euro leagues as well over the same time period I'd be ecstatic.

That's apples and oranges: All (the accurate ones) listed come from 1 team. So a better comparison would be Kelowna or London, not an entire league or continent.

No.

:lol:

That's apples and oranges: All (the accurate ones) listed come from 1 team. So a better comparison would be Kelowna or London, not an entire league or continent.

I'd liken it to more of a select team since they look to get the pick of the players that are younger (U18, since the USHL is 16-20 year olds) for development to the national teams where teams in the CHL have all the same age range of players and aren't specifically picked with national quality in mind.

There have been great players come out of that program, but there's also been Rick DiPietro's (1st overall) and Keith Ballard's (11th overall) that have come out of that program as well, not to mention all the players we never hear about that did nothing in the NHL regardless of draft position.

Archived