The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Panthers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Well said oldnews. The crowd essentially turned on their team in favor of a player who requested a trade to Florida.

Yes Luongo gave this team eight great years. But he's not a Canuck anymore.

The crowd tonight were a disgrace to the team. Cheering for an individual over a team. Fodder. Nothing but fodder

I have to admit, you're right.

It's not like he managed to deliver a Stanley Cup in Vancouver.

Sure, he's the greatest Canuck goalie ever, but when the list of Canuck goalies includes guys like John Garrett and Frank Caprice, it's not that great an achievement.

FFS Dan Cloutier is arguably in the top 5 all time Canucks netminders...

so if someone likes Crosby does that mean he's cheering for Pittsburgh when we play them?

Who does he play for? Are you cheering for someone in a Pittsburgh uniform? How about if you just happened to like every Pittsburgh player and cheered for them -- are you still not cheering for Pittsburgh?

Not sure how that isn't completely obvious.

Who does he play for? Are you cheering for someone in a Pittsburgh uniform? How about if you just happened to like every Pittsburgh player and cheered for them -- are you still not cheering for Pittsburgh?

Not sure how that isn't completely obvious.

did you even read what i said lol

just because you like ONE player on a team doesn't mean you want that team to beat yours when you play them

for example, I like Stamkos, doesn't mean I want Tampa Bay to beat us when we play them

not sure why this is so hard for some people to grasp

It's like some people have never been to a game in which an ex-player, an ex-FRANCHISE player no less, returns.

Cheering for him then is pretty much normal. That trend would probably last just the one game though.

I'm laughing at the thought of that typical cheering as a showing of respect is somehow the reason why our team lost. Of course not.

The Canucks lost because they were out-played. Simple as that.

At times I feel this team has a totally rookie fanbase.

And you would be the pioneer of that rookie fan base due to your complete clueless idea of what being a dedicated fan is.

Good teams do have bad nights.

The strange is that the Canucks look worse than they are in the standings. After a night like tonight you ask yourself "How can a team that looks this bad be in second place in the toughest Division in the league?"

I think that one answer is what Forsberg (above) says. The Canucks are not as bad as looked tonight.

But here are some issues:

i) The team is slow.

ii) The team does not have much team toughness.

iii) The top scorers on the team (the Sedins) are well into age-related decline. They are still good, but they get tired and they will have more low energy nights -- like tonight.

iv) The prospect pool is still weak. Better than it was, but still weak. Horvat is solid, but right now cannot be more than a 4th liner. And there is almost no-one from the Gillis wasteland draft years. Jensen is having a decent year in Utica but nowhere near good enough to suggest he might become an impact player in the NHL. Kassian (obtained in trade for the only good first rounder Gillis picked) has not made the transition to top 6 everyone hoped for and, frankly, is only a borderline 3rd ilner. Gaunce and Shinkaruk are making progress but, once again being honest, are no more that solid AHL players right now.

The Canucks still have a good shot at making the playoffs, but if the wheels start to come off I hope that JB makes some trades to obtain draft picks and goes for a good draft next year, following on the heels of a very good draft last year.

Actually, they do. ex-Franchise players, most certainly. But the 'Luuuu' cheer is going to be more noticeable, because of the nature of that cheer.

From what I've seen, most fans cheer the player in the beginning and then boo them out of respect throughout the game

Whether fans were booing or Luuing it's hard to say.

The strange is that the Canucks look worse than they are in the standings. After a night like tonight you ask yourself "How can a team that looks this bad be in second place in the toughest Division in the league?"

I think that one answer is what Forsberg (above) says. The Canucks are not as bad as looked tonight.

But here are some issues:

i) The team is slow.

ii) The team does not have much team toughness.

iii) The top scorers on the team (the Sedins) are well into age-related decline. They are still good, but they get tired and they will have more low energy nights -- like tonight.

iv) The prospect pool is still weak. Better than it was, but still weak. Horvat is solid, but right now cannot be more than a 4th liner. And there is almost no-one from the Gillis wasteland draft years. Jensen is having a decent year in Utica but nowhere near good enough to suggest he might become an impact player in the NHL. Kassian (obtained in trade for the only good first rounder Gillis picked) has not made the transition to top 6 everyone hoped for and, frankly, is only a borderline 3rd ilner. Gaunce and Shinkaruk are making progress but, once again being honest, are no more that solid AHL players right now.

The Canucks still have a good shot at making the playoffs, but if the wheels start to come off I hope that JB makes some trades to obtain draft picks and goes for a good draft next year, following on the heels of a very good draft last year.

Pretty much nailed it +1

Lulz at all of the people mad because the fans cheered Luongo. Maybe you should get mad at the Sedins for all that passing on the PP?

As much as the Sedins pass, the players they pass it to don't shoot either.

I've never seen a point man so allergic to one-timers.

If Krug is available, I would trade for him in a second.

did you even read what i said lol

just because you like ONE player on a team doesn't mean you want that team to beat yours when you play them

for example, I like Stamkos, doesn't mean I want Tampa Bay to beat us when we play them

not sure why this is so hard for some people to grasp

Yeah, so when I go to war I'm gonna cheer for that guy in the other uniform over there cuz I like him. I hope he does well, wish him all the best, cheer him on in everything he does...

Archived