The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft Eligible] Matthew Barzal

Odd.

Plays for the Seattle Thunderbirds. I'm sure many of you know him. He plays the center position. I've watched him since last year, and boy oh boy, he's a real treat to watch. He's not undersized, standing at 6'0, 181 pounds. He's a really good playmaker with excellent knack for setting up guys. He can also shoot, and isn't afraid to. His speed really seems to stick out at times. His speed is definitely comparable to Virtanen. He has a high hockey IQ, tends to out-think his opponents rather than his opponents out-thinking him. He has great stick-handling and good vision. He's also a B.C boy, which is also comparable to Virtanen. They both know each other very well off the ice as well.

To sum it all up: Barzal plays a 200 ft game, creative, speedy, a good sense of hockey, stronger than he appears or as listed, and is a offensively gifted center with tremendous defensive knowledge. Always in the right position. Has tremendous hand-eye coordination as he usually gets the dirtier goals by tipping them by crashing the net at times in the PP (if Ryan Gropp isn't doing that job). Has 1st line center upside. However he needs better strength and he tends to do lots of deke-ing which is alright but sometimes at the wrong moments. I can't remember if he's used on the PK, but he is definitely responsible in his own end. I high candidate to make the World Juniors next year.

I'd be so stocked if we get him. We would need to trade up a little seeing as that we are going to be either just outside the playoffs, or in the playoffs which means a low draft pick. He's ranked 10th by McKeen's Hockey, 10th by Future Considerations(which I really don't trust), 12th by hockeyprospects.com, and 8th by ISS Hockey.

Here are a few videos:

Another fantastic goal by him using his legs to separate himself and skating past the d to score a very good goal. All being shorthanded.

Another goal scored in the IIHF U18 by Barzal. Assisted by Jared McCann and Travis Sanheim.

I hope we can see a line of Virtanen/Barzal in the future!

We looking forward to the draft.

He's currently injured and not playing with a really good team, so won't be able to impress in the playoffs, that could make him fall a little bit, but I highly doubt he'd fall further than top 10.

So unless we choke like last year it's highly unlikely we'll get him.

Barzal is massively overrated on this board because he is from the lower mainland and had a good rookie season. I can see him being a solid skill based #2C but I don't see him as a better choice or a sure bet to be a #1 like Strome, Marner, Zacha, Merkley or Harkins. Konecny had a monster rookie season but look at him now. He's considered a fringe 1st rounder and Barzal is falling in the rankings like that too and I highly doubt he is a top 10 pick. He reminds me more of Nick Schmaltz from last year's draft. Barzal also doesn't fit into the meat and potatoes style we are building towards.

He's intriguing as hell both because of his skill set but also because he's a C/RW. We have LW and C/LW but a C/RW or at the least a right shooting center that can play wing.

Added his size is ok speed is amazing and if he's available it would be hard NOT tot ake a shot at him thus freeing up any of our lesser C/LW players for a trade ina package.

But if there's something better in the RHD dept get it first.

Unless of course we can manage to draft top 10 and 24th again in which case...YAY

He could fall a bit because of the season he's having. I know we need to start drafting some d-men but if he's available when we're picking we need to take this kid. He's going to be a frickin star in the NHL one day. He is special.

Guest Dasein

I highly doubt Barzal goes in the top 10. There are too many talents in this year's draft for Barzal to stay there with the type of season he's been having unless he absolutely lights it up in the playoffs to save his position.

Meaning, we may not have to move up at all to draft him or only a little (if we are in the 15-26 range) - as it stands, we would be drafting 18th overall. I don't think he'd drop to 18 (although, I wouldn't be surprised if he did), but it would only be a small move up to have a shot at drafting Barzal IMO.

He's currently injured and not playing with a really good team, so won't be able to impress in the playoffs, that could make him fall a little bit, but I highly doubt he'd fall further than top 10.

So unless we choke like last year it's highly unlikely we'll get him.

He should be back soon. Hope he falls around the 15th pick mark. Highly doubt that though.

You guys have to keep in mind this is one of the deepest drafts since 2003.

Gezlaf fell to #19 (#5 ranked NA skater), Parise fell to #17 (#9 ranked NA skater), and Dustin Brown fell to #13 (#2 ranked NA skater). No matter where the player is ranked, all that needs to happen is that a few teams in front of you happens to prefer one particular player over that player (ex. for positional needs) for that player to drop (also what I think happened to McCann and Shinkaruk). I could see Barzal getting overlooked by a couple teams in preference for a big center/winger or a defenseman. Being in the WHL and having had the injuries, I think dropping is a real possibility for Barzal in the upcoming draft.

I think he'll be drafted in top 5

No way. Maybe in most other years, but not in this year's draft - especially with the season he's having.

Guest Dasein

For Barzal, a lot rides on how he responds after this injury later this month. He could very much make my prediction that he'll fall out of the top 10 look foolish with a strong second half of the season + playoffs.

If we pick somewhere like 15th, it's possible.

Doubtful but, yes, possible. As Dasein has said, he is coming back from a knee injury soon and it will be up to him to play really well considering he missed a good chunk of his draft-year games.

There are a couple things working against us though.

1) He is an elite talent. As it stands, it is doubtful he even falls to 15 at all.

2) For us to get #15, we'd have to make the playoffs, get knocked out of the first round, and have the worst regular season record amongst the losers. The question is: Are we that bad? We'll have to see about that.

If we do somehow find ourselves in a position to draft Barzal, I don't know how we can pass him up. Even for a defenseman.

Barzal is massively overrated on this board because he is from the lower mainland and had a good rookie season. I can see him being a solid skill based #2C but I don't see him as a better choice or a sure bet to be a #1 like Strome, Marner, Zacha, Merkley or Harkins. Konecny had a monster rookie season but look at him now. He's considered a fringe 1st rounder and Barzal is falling in the rankings like that too and I highly doubt he is a top 10 pick. He reminds me more of Nick Schmaltz from last year's draft. Barzal also doesn't fit into the meat and potatoes style we are building towards.

Well.

If you were a fan of the Canucks, after this "regime", wouldn't anyone like a local kid that has 1c potential that can replace Hank?? I wouldn't call him overrated here. He is truly a gifted center that we just cannot pass up on.

Now I'm not saying this guy is going to be definitely a 1st line center for sure, (look at Cody for example), but I think getting him will definitely give us that extra scoring punch in the future down the middle. Since I'm assuming you haven't watched Barzal play, but that last sentence of yours is truly wrong. If you watched him play, he plays that meat and potatoes type game. He's always been that "getting-into-your-face" type player when crashing the net. He's always going to find ways to either put that puck home or make sure that the puck gets home by finding his teammates.

Now to add to Warhippy and Canucks1219,

Do we pass up on a potential number #1 d-man to get a 1st line center? Or do we pass up on a potential 1st line centerman to get a bona-fide d-man?

Well.

If you were a fan of the Canucks, after this "regime", wouldn't anyone like a local kid that has 1c potential that can replace Hank?? I wouldn't call him overrated here. He is truly a gifted center that we just cannot pass up on.

Now I'm not saying this guy is going to be definitely a 1st line center for sure, (look at Cody for example), but I think getting him will definitely give us that extra scoring punch in the future down the middle. Since I'm assuming you haven't watched Barzal play, but that last sentence of yours is truly wrong. If you watched him play, he plays that meat and potatoes type game. He's always been that "getting-into-your-face" type player when crashing the net. He's always going to find ways to either put that puck home or make sure that the puck gets home by finding his teammates.

Do we pass up on a potential number #1 d-man to get a 1st line center? Or do we pass up on a potential 1st line centerman to get a bona-fide d-man?

If the choice is between a 1D and 1C, and excluding McDavid and Eichel, for this draft I'd go for the defenseman. The thing is, in my mind, there are two legitimate 1D candidates: Hanifin and Werenski. I'm not really sold yet on either Kylington or Provorov as real potential No.1's but I do feel they will be top pairing players, or at least top-3 (= really good second pairing or serviceable top-pairing). All signs point to the college kids being taken before Barzal, so I'd weigh Barzal against Kylington and Provorov. Admittedly, it's more a gut-feeling than anything else as I'm not an actual scout, but I feel more strongly that Barzal has a better chance of becoming a 1C than Kylington or Provorov becoming 1D's. There's still lots of time till the draft but this is how it looks to me right now. Again, just my gut-feeling.

He's intriguing as hell both because of his skill set but also because he's a C/RW. We have LW and C/LW but a C/RW or at the least a right shooting center that can play wing.

Added his size is ok speed is amazing and if he's available it would be hard NOT tot ake a shot at him thus freeing up any of our lesser C/LW players for a trade ina package.

But if there's something better in the RHD dept get it first.

Unless of course we can manage to draft top 10 and 24th again in which case...YAY

All of the elite defenseman in the draft shoot left (Hanifin, Werenski, Kylington, Provorov). The offensive RHD (Roy, Meloche, Pilon, Andersson, Spencer, Lindgren, Schemitsch) are ranked either late in the first or in the second round. So unless you decide to take an elite lefty, you could still pick up a offensive RHD late in the first round. Which is why at this moment I'd pick Barzal ahead of any right-handed defenseman in this draft. (Note: There is Carlo but he is more of a big-minute guy than an offensive defenseman.)

If the season falls apart, we land a top-10 pick, and trade for a true contender's first round pick (Vrbata in a package seems likeliest) we could come out of the draft with a potential top-line centre and one of the top RHD in the same round.

It's doubtful that we are that bad or manage to get another first-round pick, but it's the likeliest unlikely scenario, if that makes sense.

Well.

This. I would definitely love to draft Barzal. He's currently battling injury though and he could drop even further which would be great for us. I think there is no denying that Barzal has franchise centerman potential. Could turn out to be a Claude Giroux type player.

Archived