The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

hey guys sorry this topic probably wont be finished for another couple of days but it will be worth it, its pretty late right now so ill finish working on it after school tomorrow,

please dont lock it...

If we finish where I think we will (17-20) without another first round pick or early second round pick (31-35), I say go for a defenseman. I really like Pilon and Meloche.

If we have 2 first round picks, use the highest one on a forward and later one on an offensive defenseman. In addition to the above, that list includes Andersson, Lindgren, Roy, Schemitsch.

If we have 1 first round pick and an early second (31-35), I'd gamble on the chance, which isn't that bad, of one of the previously mentioned defenseman still being there and take a winger with the first round pick.

If we have an amazing day and have 2 first round picks and an early second, I'd go forward->defenseman->defenseman.

If we finish where I think we will (17-20) without another first round pick or early second round pick (31-35), I say go for a defenseman. I really like Pilon and Meloche.

If we have 2 first round picks, use the highest one on a forward and later one on an offensive defenseman. In addition to the above, that list includes Andersson, Lindgren, Roy, Schemitsch.

If we have 1 first round pick and an early second (31-35), I'd gamble on the chance, which isn't that bad, of one of the previously mentioned defenseman still being there and take a winger with the first round pick.

If we have an amazing day and have 2 first round picks and an early second, I'd go forward->defenseman->defenseman.

I think Zboril has amazing upside, and I can see him becoming a very good 1st/2nd pairing two-way d-man.

Brandon Carlo also had a very good WJC for the US. He has been rising steadily since the start of the season.

I think Zboril has amazing upside, and I can see him becoming a very good 1st/2nd pairing two-way d-man.

Brandon Carlo also had a very good WJC for the US. He has been rising steadily since the start of the season.

Dammit, I forgot about Zboril completely. He's a great prospect too. That's the thing, this draft has a lot of quality offensive defenseman in the late-first/second round range which is why I'm not on the "Draft a defenseman no matter what!" train as much as I was earlier in the year. It's also why I've suggested getting another second round pick for a while now. Reading this, Benning?

I like Carlo too but I don't see nearly as much offensive upside from him. He's huge and will be a big-minute top-4 guy, but I'd rather have someone like Meloche who is 6'2", right-shooting, and has more offensive upside.

Dammit, I forgot about Zboril completely. He's a great prospect too. That's the thing, this draft has a lot of quality offensive defenseman in the late-first/second round range which is why I'm not on the "Draft a defenseman no matter what!" train as much as I was earlier in the year. It's also why I've suggested getting another second round pick for a while now. Reading this, Benning?

I like Carlo too but I don't see nearly as much offensive upside from him. He's huge and will be a big-minute top-4 guy, but I'd rather have someone like Meloche who is 6'2", right-shooting, and has more offensive upside.

He's like a mirror image of Tryamkin in the way that they are both hulking (albeit Carlo still has some filling out to do), but they are both very smooth and non-slow skaters for their size. They also both project to be shutdown d-men that don't mind joining the rush here are there. Carlo is an RD too!

Like I said, another PMD (other than Forsling and Subban) is one of our prospect pool's biggest needs. However, I think our defence in general needs work. If all three of Carlo, Tryamkin, and Pedan become regulars in the NHL, could you imagine how terrorizing it would be for other teams to have to play against these three?! One of each on every pairing would make for an absolute nightmare for other teams offence. All are nasty players, good skaters, and aren't a liability at either ends of the ice. With the kinds of forwards we are drafting, adding a guy like Carlo to our system gives us the potential to be very well the hardest team in the whole NHL to play against in about five years from now. It's a good thing that Benning and our scouts put a lot of emphasis on scouting in the WHL, because it gives them a much better eye to be able to determine whether or not certain players in that league are worth a pick or not.

Carlo's teammate, Parker Wotherspoon, is also a d-man projected to go somewhere in this draft (likely in round 2/3). He could end up being a very solid pick too.

Btw, in case people are curious about whether or not there is scouting being done in the Q despite not having a Q scout listed on our staff, when I was watching the Sportsnet panel in the afternoon yesterday, John Shannon said that Benning told him that he was in the Maritimes scouting juniors. That's a huge sigh of relief, because there are over ten prospects from the Q who have the potential to go in the top-40 this draft. Benning's the man!

Barzal would be my first choice. A d man be sweet too but the good thing about drafts. A lot of quality d men can be found in the later rounds. be nice to have a d prospect but I think our forward crop isnt fully put together.

As others have said, we definitely gotta go with a defenceman. Lots of forwards that can push for the big leagues in the next few years, better fill up on the backend!

After Barzal or maybe Provorov if we can get him.

If we can get an early second round pick between the 31-45 mark, then draft an offensive d-man. There will be a lot of them all over the draft. If however we get a 2 first rounders, we can draft either Barzal, or Provorov if possible.

Provorov really gets me so jingled up. When I was watching the Hitmen play yesterday against the Wheat kings, he really stood out getting one beautiful cost to cost goal and then getting two assists to add to his mark. He's so defensively calm, patient with the puck, and his IQ is really high in terms of puck possesion, passing, controlling the puck, positioning and hand eye coordination as well as his accurate shot.

all i can go by is what i read and from the odd junior game i see...i wouldn't know how to judge one from the other....

i'm glad that benning and crew are watching all the prospects and have european scouts as well....i can't tell much between the top defenseman listed to the second round listings....my vote would go to the bpa....

Archived