The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

Oh....me thinks we are a key injury away from plummeting and pickin high again.

Just barely clingin onto a playoff position with teams like Winnipeg and Calgary pickin up steam.... Guys like Burrows, Higgins and now it seems others are spinning wheels in the mud.

If say a Sedin gets injured we are D-O-N-E

If that happens....fire sale time

Burrows-retain a million if need be..surely AV and Rangers could use him and he waive to go there. He liked playing for Tippet at last years WC so there is a chance he would go there..Montreal? Surely there is atleast a 2nd to be had for ol Burr

Higgins-Servicable warrior..surely teams like Islanders, Bruins, Rangers, Pens, Sens, could also use his muckery in the playoffs. ..should also fetch a 2nd/prospect..he has term at a decent price

Bieksa-Teams looking for RHS vet defenseman on decent salary should be lining up for Juices services..Det, TB, Wsh, even a few western teams begging for a guy like Kev. Surely gets us a 1st/prospect. TB holds 2-1sts and would surely deal one for hopes of getting a longer playoff run. Would they deal theirs? Or the pick from Rangers? Even Toronto...they are in fear of losing Franso at years end...who better to replace him with than Kev and they both make same salary...Tor 1st would be nice

If we fall that far in the standings, there are a few surprise prospects falling as well. Most notably Dylan Strome falling to #7 in ISS rankings...bag this guy and he eliminates all the Ry-Jo proposals and sets us up for Henriks eventual slide down to the 2nd line. Getting a franchise center is more needed than a defenseman....imo.

Yes, we have McCann, Horvat, Cassels etc..but none will be 1st liners

Oh....me thinks we are a key injury away from plummeting and pickin high again.

Just barely clingin onto a playoff position with teams like Winnipeg and Calgary pickin up steam.... Guys like Burrows, Higgins and now it seems others are spinning wheels in the mud.

If say a Sedin gets injured we are D-O-N-E

If that happens....fire sale time

Burrows-retain a million if need be..surely AV and Rangers could use him and he waive to go there. He liked playing for Tippet at last years WC so there is a chance he would go there..Montreal? Surely there is atleast a 2nd to be had for ol Burr

Higgins-Servicable warrior..surely teams like Islanders, Bruins, Rangers, Pens, Sens, could also use his muckery in the playoffs. ..should also fetch a 2nd/prospect..he has term at a decent price

Bieksa-Teams looking for RHS vet defenseman on decent salary should be lining up for Juices services..Det, TB, Wsh, even a few western teams begging for a guy like Kev. Surely gets us a 1st/prospect. TB holds 2-1sts and would surely deal one for hopes of getting a longer playoff run. Would they deal theirs? Or the pick from Rangers? Even Toronto...they are in fear of losing Franso at years end...who better to replace him with than Kev and they both make same salary...Tor 1st would be nice

If we fall that far in the standings, there are a few surprise prospects falling as well. Most notably Dylan Strome falling to #7 in ISS rankings...bag this guy and he eliminates all the Ry-Jo proposals and sets us up for Henriks eventual slide down to the 2nd line. Getting a franchise center is more needed than a defenseman....imo.

Yes, we have McCann, Horvat, Cassels etc..but none will be 1st liners

I'm all over this. I secretly want the Canucks to go 0-5 on this coming road trip, and there's a real possibility they could go 1 and 4. While it's commendable that this core is showing it's competitive spirit, it just reminds me of an old 82 Honda Civic, used to be great back in the day, but after years of service just struggles to climb the hill.

The games aren't easy for the players, it's like they're constantly struggling to maintain control over games, and the other teams who often are younger and faster just pile on too much for them to handle. The last game I think the Canucks were really able to go toe to toe and hold their own, was the last game against Detroit, but they're the same as us. Old, slow, puck possession.

This league is quickly becoming a North-South league again, which I'm all for because it's frankly much more exciting hockey to watch. All of the guys on this team individually are good, and have significant value as complimentary pieces, but as the core pieces of a team's make up they just aren't able to get it done.

Or perhaps another apt analogy would be David Wooderson (Matthew McConaughey's character from Dazed and Confused). Used to be the man in High School, enters the real world, can't continue the glory from his old days so needs to try and fit in where he doesn't (with the next generation of High School kids).

2010/2011 was this core's "Senior year" in high school. Since then, it's been a downhill slide since entering the real world.

I'd love to land Barzal.

Barzal, Horvat, McCann, Cassels down the middle would be pretty slick down the road. Two RH, Two LH, Tons of two-way play and untapped offense.

Plus, you know. Local Kid. :)

too small down the middle there

Barzal-6'

Horvat-6'1

McCann-5'11

Skill is one thing....size also matters

LA-Kopitar, Carter

Chi-Toews

Bos-Bergeron (size on wings and mammoth on D helped too)

LA-Kopitar, Carter

Pens-Malkin

ANA-Getzlaf

Need size in the middle and its proven year after year.

hey guys sorry this topic probably wont be finished for another couple of days but it will be worth it, its pretty late right now so ill finish working on it after school tomorrow,

please dont lock it...

Is there going to be more to it/will it not be redundant/is it really official compared to the other draft threads in this sub-forum already?

2015 Draft prospects

2015 Draft Canuck Prediction

Mock Draft 1.0 - 2015

Just curious. :)

Barzal-6'

Horvat-6'1

McCann-5'11

LA-Kopitar, Carter

Chi-Toews

LA-Kopitar, Carter

Pens-Malkin

ANA-Getzlaf

The prospective wingers will help with that (Virtanen, Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce, Grenier, LaBate) but we wouldn't be massive by any stretch with Shink and Vey also in the mix. Still, size without any top line center talent is probably worse.

Like others have said, BPA.

I know everyone wants that elite PMD prospect, but they are very rare.

So unless we end up with a safer pick like Hannifin, it's a guessing game.

Edit: Also should note that teams in last years draft that didn't go with the BPA passed on Fabbri, Kapanen, and McCann. It's just the better route to go. Unless all players look the same, then think about specific needs (like Benning said).

Is there going to be more to it/will it not be redundant/is it really official compared to the other draft threads in this sub-forum already?

2015 Draft prospects

2015 Draft Canuck Prediction

Mock Draft 1.0 - 2015

Just curious. :)

if you look at filip ahl as the example and multiply that by the over 50 of the top prospects, weekly polls and whatever else i can think of, i just thought i would help people learn about the prospects

everything an armchair scout needs in one place

if you want you can merge the other ones into this one...

oh wait your not a mod ;)

jk^

:huh:

Shinkaruk, Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, McCann, Virtanen, Jensen and Vey (if you count him). I guess I want more out of our late picks, I want later than 1st rounders to have top 9 potential. All we've been doing is drafting defenceman late or guys who might not even make the AHL like Beattie, LaBate or long shots at the NHL in Friesen, Zalewski, Archibald, Kenins, Pettit, Fox, Grenier. These guys are pretty much long-shots at the NHL or atleast a top 9 role.

Great, our first rounders have top 9 upside. What else? I want to see some more 3rd-4th rounders used on forwards, not Pettits but guys like Cassels.

Here is Roope Hintz, a Finnish draft-eligible player playing in the top Finnish league (Liiga). He has great size and, as the video shows, has great skating and hockey smarts.

He is not currently ranked in the top-30 but he has the size, scoring, skating, and smarts to become at the very least an above average third line winger. Granted, it's just highlights of his WJC, but his blend of desirable traits makes him an intriguing prospect for sure. His flow-game is on point too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqu9NPPwW2I

*cough* RASMUS ANDERSSON *cough*

Not if we are picking where I think we will (late-teens~20). I'd go for him with a pick about 25~onwards.

Barzal-6'
Horvat-6'1
McCann-5'11

LA-Kopitar, Carter
Chi-Toews
LA-Kopitar, Carter
Pens-Malkin
ANA-Getzlaf

Correction: McCann is not 5'11. He was a shade over 6 feet (6'0.25) at the draft combine. I don't disagree that we'd be quite small down the middle though. If we do draft Barzal (either because he drops or our season goes to poop), our centre depth (the top end) would look like this:

Barzal (5'11~6'0)

Horvat (6'0.5)

McCann (6'0.25)

Cassels (6'0)

Gaunce (6'2")

We've got three big potential top-6 wingers in Jensen (6'3/203 lbs), Kassian (6'3/215 lbs), and Virtanen (6'1/207 lbs.) but Vey is 5'10~5'11 (he is NOT 6'0 like he is listed) and Shinkaruk is in the same ballpark.

So is Barzal a bonified 1st line center? or is it all smoke and mirrors because he is a local guy?

I believe Barzal was ranked as high as 5th or something on the earlier draft rankings. Due to injury hes slide a bit but has a lot of tools that could make him a potential #1 center. He's still so young though hard to say for sure.

Cassels' development is not typical of third rounders.

It's not but neither is Buchnevich's, Duclair's, Bjorkstrand's, Slepshev's, Yakimov's, Andrighetto's, Verhaeghe's or Baptiste's development.

Seems like that might have been a deep draft which it was. The guys I listed are exceeding expectations along with Cassels but teams are thinking wow, we really missed out on alot of studs. So I guess it would almost be a disappointment of a pick if Cassels didn't develop this well.

It's not but neither is Buchnevich's, Duclair's, Bjorkstrand's, Slepshev's, Yakimov's, Andrighetto's, Verhaeghe's or Baptiste's development.

Seems like that might have been a deep draft which it was. The guys I listed are exceeding expectations along with Cassels but teams are thinking wow, we really missed out on alot of studs. So I guess it would almost be a disappointment of a pick if Cassels didn't develop this well.

i really like Bjorkstrand...

Archived